Cigol

Diablo III

I definitely had fun Clan chatting with some of ye this weekend! A few of us even played together!

I have played a ton of D3 between 360 and PC and I have to say ... The changes that show up in Adventure Mode really confuse me at least after a couple hours. I have a lot of new mats that just do not do anything at least at level 62.

I just signed up for both the Clan and Community. 

I have at least one 70 in hardcore and softcore.

Admitedly I've actually started play Diablo 2 again since a good friend of mines cpu died, he's been using a back up cpu, but he cant play any current games its just too slow. so I've been keeping him company on D2. still sooo good.

I just don't know anymore, I just really don't know...

I'm either doing this wrong or the world is just too much to handle for my old brain to comprehend.

I finally bought Diablo 3 and took the plunge, I think when it came out I was just tired of thinking about it for the past 3-5 years that I just didn't feel the need to. So I bought it this week, Diablo 3, not the expansion, just the original game.

It updates and such and what do I get, Reaper of Souls loading dealy... well that's weird, I guess it's an advertisement, great.

I watch the intro movie and then get to create my character... Crusader class... huh, I don't recall that, oh wait  it says I need to buy the expansion to play that character.

Why can't I just install the game I bought and not see the content from the expansion? That's all I want to do, should be simple, but no, I have traces of some weird internet marketing, freemium bs going on.

Christ, I'm old and now I'm just grumpy.

I hit ok to create my character and immediately get this.

27yfzk.jpg

Alright, I'm done, f#$%ing done.

Yeah, somewhere in the arc of WoW and the Activision merger Blizzard became a really unsavoury company in a lot of ways. They might improve now that they're on their own again, but we'll see.

In the meantime I picked up this game now that the auction house is gone and it was on sale, and I'm enjoying the production values. Path of Exile and Torchlight 2 do/did a lot of stuff in more interesting ways than D3 does, but sometimes you just want to play something where every single pixel has tangibly had millions spent on it.

lol

Blizz games have been sold like a service since WoW. StarCraft 2 is the same. I don't see how it's "unsavory" though. Are you someone who is offended by movie tie-in covers on novels?

Vanilla Diablo 3 is not a thing they are interested in supporting as anything other than a jumping off point to Reaper.

Edit: the lol is in reference to Murdoc's old man rage.

I agree it's a bit annoying to see in your game, but honestly once you start a character you'll never see any of that stuff again.

I got annoyed on the otherside when I was seeing those options and advertisements when I had already preordered the expansion, so I can understand. Advertising sucks, but there will always be that fraction of people who wouldn't be aware of the expansion without having it shoved in their face.

Plus its stupid that you get the option to make a Crusader and you can't actually play it. That actually happened to me when I first booted up Diablo 3 for the first time in years after patch 2.0 came out.

Was having a grumpy day, but yeah, an ad is one thing, showing me content I cant play unless I buy something after I just spent x amount of dollars on a game is pretty weak; that is some f2p style shit that wasn't f2p.

I think my original concern is that I'd see all sorts of that shit in the game, like an item drops from reaper of souls and I can't use it unless I buy the expansion, but if bkbroiler is right, I guess the start is as far as it goes.

Are you someone who is offended by movie tie-in covers on novels?

I really don't see the correlation to that and having content locked out in the game I bought because it's from another game I didn't purchase. To answer your question though, yes I am annoyed at those covers, but it's from an art and design stand point, they're usually ugly book covers.

Well, you might see Crusader shields/weapons drop occasionally, but to me that is identical to seeing a Demon Hunter weapon drop if you're not playing that class - you're going to salvage/sell it anyway. It's not really worth saving any sort of equipment for other characters unless it's some amazing level 70 item.

(sorry for being weirdly shitty for no reason I'll go now) :getmecoat

No worries man, we all have moments like that. Good of you to come back in and clear the air.

I agree it's a bit annoying to see in your game, but honestly once you start a character you'll never see any of that stuff again.

There's still some very annoying stuff and it does feel like they're constantly prodding you to buy the expansion. The game is still enjoyable, though.

If any other vanilla people need someone to play online with, let me know! l'm 'food' on battle net. I don't plan on upgrading any time soon, either. (Monetary reasons, not as some weird protest.)

I honestly would rather have it this way than another way. What if someone who doesn't really follow games but liked Diablo bought the game 2 years ago, and picked up the word Diablo on the internet but not the context and decided to jump in and play. What if you see someone on your friends list as level 70 and have a freak out? Better to have it spelled out in your always-online instanced drop in/drop out game, I think!

So yes, I think you are just old and grumpy. :)

I think I should have not played on normal, because so far I haven't used a single potion, there doesn't seem to be a lot of enemies and they don't seem to want to run after me like they used to in the previous games.

So far it's kinda dull.

I just don't want advertisements and content from another game in the game I bought. If this was a demo, shareware, whatever, go for it, but not when I'm paying $60. I don't mind if they update the game over time, that's usually fine.

You can change the difficulty on the fly. Just drop to the character select screen and put it to whatever difficulty you'd like. If you theoretically needed to drop the difficulty down, you can do that without even leaving the game from the main menu.

Aw sweet, at least this is the part of a 2014 video game that I enjoy, I was worried I'd have to start a new character and go through the whole intro again.

edit: The Ai and pathing still seems... not great. I mean I'll stop bitching about stuff already knows, but already I think D2 was a much tighter game and Im a little perplexed as to why this isn't after so many years. Also, and maybe I am misremembering, but I don't remember a lot of jokes in Diablo and it's kind of hampering the tone.

Put the difficulty up as high as you can handle. The game is dire at lower difficulties. I think the polish can take a while to shine, I hated pretty much everything about the game Gwen I first olayed, but it does grow on you. Also, as usual, playing with people makes it far more enjoyable.

Yeah, DIII and inFamous 1 are the only two games in which I turned up the difficulty mis-playthrough, and I found myself liking both more as a result. (Though honestly on your first playthrough, you can still only max DIII out at hard, which is still too easy.)

Yeah, somewhere in the arc of WoW and the Activision merger Blizzard became a really unsavoury company in a lot of ways. They might improve now that they're on their own again, but we'll see.

Wait what's this? Blizzard is separate from Activision now?

Did anyone read Stay Awhile and Listen? It's an ebook about the making of the first Diablo and I thought it was pretty cool. It's not perfect but it's a pretty fun read if you liked other stuff like Masters of Doom.

http://www.amazon.com/Stay-Awhile-Listen-Blizzards-Video-Game-ebook/dp/B00G8UL474/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397438036&sr=8-1&keywords=stay+awhile+and+listen

And yeah, change the difficulty. The game improves drastically if you play on a harder difficulty and play with friends instead of solo. Join the Thumbs guild, we'll play with you!

Wait what's this? Blizzard is separate from Activision now?

No, I got my facts completely mixed up, sorry. Actiblizz actually split from Vivendi last year, but Tencent's still in. Not too hopeful in other words.

So maybe I need to keep playing more, because it hasn't really felt like the story has taken off yet or anything, but it feels like I've played enough where I my opinion isn't changing all that much.

I can wrap this up real quickly and say it's been a really dull experience so far. I cranked up the difficulty which at least puts me in danger, but I find now that the enemies just take more hits, which was fun in Diablo 2 because of the speed of it, you'd be mowing down goblins or whatever and come onto a brute that took more than a few hits. Here it just feels like the "difficult" enemies take forever to go down and I'm just watching a screen, rarely in danger waiting for the thing to die. Maybe I'm not playing it right or something is clicking, but even when I am in danger, running low, I can't quickly suck down potions and manage the battle that way, I have to basically run away, stand in a corner for a bit, and come back. I get the idea of not relying so much on potions, but this isn't a better alternative.

Then there is the loot. This may sound real dumb, but there really isn't much of it. It doesn't seem like I am finding anything decent half the time or enough to swap out my goods enough, this might be my impression post Torchlight 2 where that game almost had too much loot, but I dunno, just isn't a lot going on here to keep me interested. 

The tone. As I mentioned above, the tone is a bit off, it's not quite Diablo, it's not quite Torchlight. The jokes and "punny"/pop culture stuff is just eye rolling and fall flat every time. Dark Souls achieved more of that old Diablo feel than this game. So my attention span isn't there either.

Production Value. Yes, it's a Blizzard game and maybe 2-3 years ago the polish was impressive, but there is a ton of little things I have a problem with. Their UI guys probably deserve an award, but the scripted events and animation feel right out of Warcraft 3 and really rudimentary. Big moments are done with these and they aren't doing it for me, no facial animation during these scenes and just really basic pathing/scripting make these moments fall totally flat. 

I dunno I'm right at the story part where

Cain dies

, which probably means I am really early in, but the game-play just isn't fun so far. Should I keep playing?

The gameplay does get more fun as you hit higher levels and start to experiment with combinations. I've beaten the game with a Monk and a Wizard and both didn't get interesting until around level 20. If you're playing for story though, tap out now. It's not great.