Wrestlevania

Nintendo banked £30m last week, Wii fastest selling console ever

Nintendo have confirmed that Wii sold 105,000 units (£19m approx.) over its opening weekend in the UK -- become the fastest selling home console in chart history -- with DS shifting around 110,000 (£11m approx.) in the same week.

[Full article]

Nicely done Ninty, congratulations! :clap::buyme:

chart history

That's the worst made up statistics related word in idle forums post history.

Maybe now Nintendo can take some of those billions of dollars they have saved up and actually develop some original IP...or if they're feeling really magnanimous release more than 6 games over the entire lifespan of thir new system.:deranged:

That's the worst made up statistics related word in idle forums post history.
No it isn't. "Chart history" is a frequently used combination of words.

Sometimes I wonder how many seconds on average you spend writing your posts. Such as in the other thread where you posted "Like Donkey Kong?" and all I'm thinking is... uh, didn't we already cover that? Or your reply saying "what destruction?" in Rodi's wall painting thread. Or in the innovation in the game industry thread where you wrote "People should stop comparing games with movies. It's bad for the computer games business" without any kind of supporting arguments. When someone asks for them, you say that you mind doing that, as if you're doing people a big favor by explaining what you mean.

I hope you'll contribute some more interesting posts around here because it's been annoying me a lot. Some random/funny banter is definitely welcomed here, but your posts actually rarely add value to threads and often border on trolling. So please stop it.

Never actually saw it being used within an explanatory context. So therefor I filed it under "Buzzword". If you leave out the word "chart" does it change the meaning? or even change the truth value? I don't think so. I'm sure they have data even before "they" decided to make charts of the gathered data. So they might have well say that it was the fastest selling console in recorded history, and since history is always recorded just "history" would be more than enough.

As for the Donkey Kong post, I don't see the relation between Donkey Kong and Holland's game industry. Maybe you already did cover that, but not in that thread.

The destruction thing was irony.

Sometimes the words don't always correctly reflect my thoughts I have at that time. After a while when I re-read the text I see the things that are not completely as I though but by that time the "damage" is already done.

Anyway... we're not all writers.

Maybe he's like me in that by the time I read the thread, whatever point I would have made was already made by someone else.

But that theory has a teeny little hole in that he was the first reply.

So even when I do think of something to say, it is ill contrived and incomplete in logic and reason. Hmmm.

Maybe I should add:

Anything I've ever said.
Blah blah blah, shut the hell up.

But back on topic, dammit I want a Wii. Damn you college! Damn you and your God awful tuition to heck! I haven't even ever touched a Wii, let alone played it, and it's driving me mad!

So I guess I should apoligise to Nintendo for not making their earnings a couple few hundred bucks higher.

Edit: If, you know, I lived in the Olde Country.

Never actually saw it being used within an explanatory context. So therefor I filed it under "Buzzword".

Those little Full article links I post in every (appropriate) quote should be adequate "explanatory context" methinks.

A post doesn't have to be a New York Times feature article. I myself frequently post things that are very poorly thought out. What annoys me are the short one or two sentence posts that do not communicate anything.

E.g. if you don't understand why Donkey Kong was brought up in that thread, post "what do you mean with Donkey Kong?" and not a super ambiguous post that simply repeats a line from someone else. It doesn't take a genius writer to make that kind of change.

Elmuerte, the only thing I'm asking of you is to try a bit harder.

Those little Full article links I post in every (appropriate) quote should be adequate "explanatory context" methinks.

I real that whole article but it didn't say anything about what "chart history" means.

@Marek: The long version whould have been:

"Like Donkey Kong? What in Nintendo's name does that mean?"

Is that better?

Yes, because then:

- I would have easily understood that you didn't get the reference, and weren't randomly repeating someone's words

- I could have replied that the first Donkey Game took place on a scaffolding

- I could have replied that the first Donkey Game took place on a scaffolding

DOH! Can't believe I didn't get that one.

They're also being sued by a company that claims that they infringed on their copy right with the Wii-mote... but examining the patent makes the device seem like a wireless "mouse alternative" that includes no motion control.

I'd post a link, but I'm so very lazy.

I thought it was about the trigger button on the bottom of the wiimote.

They're also being sued by a company that claims that they infringed on their copy right with the Wii-mote... but examining the patent makes the device seem like a wireless "mouse alternative" that includes no motion control.

I'd post a link, but I'm so very lazy.

The lawsuit and the device. Yes, the alleged copyright infringement isn't about motion sensoring technology.

Man, it really is strange. I still haven't seen even a single Wii console on sale anywhere around here.

I've seen the accessories and games on the shelves but nothing else. The most weird part is that none of the shops around here haven't advertised Wii even once, and they don't even have Wii's price on display anywhere. I suspect this is Amo's (the so called Nintendo of Finland) evil work again...

Why spend money on advertisements when all the units (from this year's shipments at least) will get sold within minutes anyway? Most of the online-shops that took pre-orders can deliver the console in January/February even for those who pre-ordered the thing well(ish) before the launch.

I still haven't seen one around either, They got sold out days before launch day... They only have accessories and games... not that I'd want to buy one (no games for me out there) , but I'd like to try a displayed one at the store!

But! last week I added my 2 cents (well, almost 200€) to Nintendo's pockets: I just got my white DS lite! I love it!

Now I'm enjoying Animal Crossing WW, Another Code and New Super Mario Bros (Minigames)

*ear to ear grin*:grin:

(damn I think my english is getting rustier all the time)

Buy a Wii for Zelda when you can find one. :yep:

Yup, that's the only Wii game I'm interested in by now. But I'll wait untill the price drops down.

Why spend money on advertisements when all the units (from this year's shipments at least) will get sold within minutes anyway? Most of the online-shops that took pre-orders can deliver the console in January/February even for those who pre-ordered the thing well(ish) before the launch.

Yeah but all of those were bought by hardcore players / teenagers / ebay type quick buck seller assholes.

I bet the regular Joe in Finland doesn't know anything about Wii, but the PS3 sure is getting a lot of attention, especially in Anttila, the biggest console seller at the moment in Finland. For example here in Vaasa their Nintendo section is getting smaller and smaller every day, and Xbox/Playstation stuff is taking over and PS3 pre order ads are kind of on display all the time. Man I hate Amo.

You spend money on advertisement at launch because you have an opportunity to create a snowball effect of awareness that you wouldn't have half a year later. Right now my Wii is brand new, so I tell people about it, and those people will also hear about it from advertisements. When someone hears about a product from multiple sources at the same time, it will stick in their minds, and they'll remember what a Wii is next year when more stock is available.

What I really like is that even though my mom hasn't played the Wii yet, she recognises it as something that's suitable for other people than youngsters, simply because in the commercials people of all ages are playing. That surprised me because it never occurred to me that it would be this simple. I thought it'd be a hard sell to convince our elders that gaming could also be for them, but all it took was a commercial that was aimed at them.

Yeah I know how you feel. Just as my brother and I were deciding to put some money aside to go halves on one sometime next year my Dad told us (without prompting, mind) that he wouldn't mind getting one when the buzz dies down. The very last person I would expect to say that.

Score!

You spend money on advertisement at launch because you have an opportunity to create a snowball effect of awareness that you wouldn't have half a year later. Right now my Wii is brand new, so I tell people about it, and those people will also hear about it from advertisements. When someone hears about a product from multiple sources at the same time, it will stick in their minds, and they'll remember what a Wii is next year when more stock is available.

That is otherwise good, but I haven't seen a single ad for Wii anywhere, and propably won't because I know how Amo thinks, they did the same with Gamecube. That being that they did nothing at all. Nintendo will never again have big success in Finland unless they change the distributor firm. I'd love if we had the same firm handling the affairs as the other nordic countries (Bergsala). That way we could finally have ads on tv and also a good netshop for accessories (just like Nintendo of America has with store.nintendo.com) and it would be possible to order almost anything available for Wii/DS/GBA.