ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

http://botherer.org/2009/09/12/far-too-many-words-on-derren-brown-the-lottery/ <--- Interesting argument that Derren Brown, with that "explanation" special, is basically now perpetuating the kind of magical thinking he purports to debunk, so can sod right off.

If you can find a single person who was taken in by Brown's explanation I'll eat my hat. It's intentionally so absurd nobody could believe it - that's the fucking point.

I like Walker a lot and usually find his thoughts to be insightful and interesting but he really dropped the ball on this one. I was actually a little crushed when I looked to see who had written this tosh and saw it was him. :(

I picked up Final Destination on Blu Ray (it was only $10) and watched it last night. What a lovely piece of claptrap. The scene where they break into a funeral home and instead of being angry, the creepy mortician (who happens to be there in the middle of the night) explains to them how death has a grand design in place and everyone has a predetermined time, place and method for their death...gosh, it's wonderful, and I imagine the deaths only got better as the series went on. I think I'll have to see them all now. I heard good/bad things about the recent 3D iteration on the giant bombcast (sorry to promote the competition). I'm starting to enjoy bad movies as much as good ones.

I picked up Final Destination on Blu Ray (it was only $10) and watched it last night ... gosh, it's wonderful, and I imagine the deaths only got better as the series went on. I think I'll have to see them all now.

Really don't bother. The sequels are just average rehashings of the first film.

THE Final Destination IN THREE DIMENSIONS is pretty much exactly the same film as all the previous ones, but with a lead actor who has this permanent slightly blank look that suggests there's absolutely nothing going on in his head. I wanted to punch him in the face quite a lot for a significant portion of the film (that can be read many ways, all of them true).

I don't know, people die and it's in 3D, so I guess it succeeds on those counts. If you like bad films, maybe, but understand that it is bad, and not endearingly so. Oh, and it repeatedly makes "knowing" self-referential nods, but without any actual substance or purpose to them other than "look how post-modern we are". For example, a 3D film is mentioned a few times in dialogue and is actually shown on-screen. Perhaps that's meant to be funny.

I like how rubbish film franchises resort to toggling the "definite article" switch when they get worried about sequel fatigue. Fast and Furious, The Final Destination ... I'm sure there are others, but my memory is awful.

Just be glad they haven't started tinkering with the "indefinite article": A Final Destination, A Fast and A Furious, A Rambo.