ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Excellent, thanks SAM and Gorm and SAM's friend!

Erkki, give it another one or two eps at least! One thing I really enjoy about it is getting a look at Japanese culture and social etiquette.

2 hours ago, Gormongous said:

The really weird thing about the first season of Steven Universe is that, if you go back and watch it through again once you've gotten to season four or five, there are a lot of surprisingly specific references to later reveals (looking at you, "Keep Beach City Weird"). Rebecca Sugar and her team had it planned out from the start, they just took forever to get there for some reason.

I went looking online for skip guides to the first season, which is harder than you'd think since the fandom is adamant that every piece of content (except for the Uncle Grandpa crossover, of course) is absolutely essential to the experience. This one seems pretty good, if you just stick to the green episodes, although it focuses more on which episodes contribute to the lore than on which episodes contribute to character development. I'm curious to see what SAM's friend says, though.

Yeah Steven U has a ton of little hints sprinkled throughout the show.  A bunch of subtle (and not so subtle) callbacks will be missed by not watching everything but the majority of what makes the show great will still come though.  I'd make the list myself but I'm not nearly as well versed in the show as I am something like Star Trek.

Days of Heaven (1978) is super good. It's maybe my favourite Terrence Malick movie so far. I don't give it the full 5 stars only because I am not a huge fan of the distance Malick keeps from the characters, making them seem slightly unreal. But it's shot perfectly, I'm glad I am still discovering films this good after watching through what I thought was almost all of the highest rated classics in the past few years.