ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

I read early today that the final season of mad man is 16 episodes long, which will be split between 2014 and 2 0 1 5.... Just call it two seasons grrrr :(

But it's only one season.  I mean, if it were two seasons, then they would just call it two seasons.  But duh, it's just one.  Don't you understand corporate logic.

Last night I saw Jodorowsky's Dune. I can't recommend it enough (with the caveat that there is an off-color comment about metaphorically raping the novel Dune, didn't impact my judgment of the movie, but it was a totally awkward scene). They show a bunch of the pre-production work, and it really is incredible stuff.

I really want to see that, looks like it will be playing in Kansas City on the 25th.  Will have to remember that.

The new series of the trip just aired on BBC2 tonight. It was fantastic. It did seem a little forced at times though :/ perhaps I'm just remembering the first series with rose tinted glasses.

Just saw Free to Play. Pretty much loved it even though I understand Dota even less than sports in general.

Yikes, Mington. I saw the trailer for The Trip 2, with the new 'Michael Caine' bit, and it hurt. It felt incredibly forced, whereas the first one was so sparkly and fun. I'll approach this with extreme circumspection. Though I'm at least a little curious what arcs and themes will pop up. If they're doing another 'Steve is a sad, solipsistic overachiever whereas Rob is the funny, concerned family man'...

«Gentlemen, to bed! For we ride at eight-thirty for nine!»

I'm super interested what their arcs will be. I felt like they were also really forcing Robs "character", but maybe that's just to get people who didn't watch the first series up to speed. I have faith that with a little time to breath the old magic will shine through

Best part was towards the end of the episode when they were musing about being ignored by young woman. I think a big theme this time round will be them slowly realising that they're now old men and past it

Steve Coogan does an amazing terry wogan! Worth watching for this alone

Have any of y'all seen The Raid 2 yet? I think it opens in my city this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding showtimes. The first one OWNS SO HARD and is pretty much required viewing if you like action/martial arts flicks. It's crazy brutal though, so if you have a weak stomach proceed with caution. The new one looks to be even more batshit awesome than the first, which is already maybe the best action movie I've seen from the past decade. But yeah. The Raid 2 is my most hyped movie of the year. 

I'm looking forward to The Raid 2 too.

I've been trying to convince myself to go see Noah, as I'm a big Aronofsky fan and it got pretty good reviews from AV Club and Empire, but that trailer was soooo bad.

So Stephen Colbert is taking over the Late Show with David Letterman next year.  Weird.  Those night shows just feel like these aging dinosaurs to me that need to die, not be revitalized with new blood.  Not that I want to see Colbert do the Report forever, I'm sure the guy has other goals, but going to CBS just feels like he'll never have the freedom to pull some of the shit that cable affords him. 

So Stephen Colbert is taking over the Late Show with David Letterman next year. Weird. Those night shows just feel like these aging dinosaurs to me that need to die, not be revitalized with new blood. Not that I want to see Colbert do the Report forever, I'm sure the guy has other goals, but going to CBS just feels like he'll never have the freedom to pull some of the shit that cable affords him.

This is exactly how I feel. Have they said if he's going to be in character or not?

This is exactly how I feel. Have they said if he's going to be in character or not?

No, I haven't seen anything about the plan/structure of the show.  I would guess that he won't be in character? 

Wow, Colbert is taking over from Letterman? I don't doubt for a second that he'll be great at it, but his character and exploiting the edge between parody and sincerity has been such huge parts of his act. It'll be hard to step away from that.

Oh man, I came here to post about that. My jaw dropped when I saw the news. It seems like such a bizarre choice to me. 

I'm super excited about it myself. He's such an obviously hilarious and intelligent guy, and the few times I've seen him out of character he's seemed incredibly warm, charming and full of passion and life. I think he's a perfect fit.

I'm the tiniest bit disappointed that Craig Ferguson was apparently not considered cause I think he deserves all recognition and accolades. But I also think his shtick works best in his time slot. I'm glad he can keep being weird.

I think Craig Ferguson's "I'm going to do whatever I want because my show costs no money so CBS doesn't care" style wouldn't work for him or CBS in the Late Show slot. I also don't think he's the right person to put up opposite Jimmy Fallon if CBS wants to compete (which they do). Colbert, on the other hand, it absolutely the right person to compete with Fallon in that timeslot. But I'm super super sad to see the Report and "Stephen Colbert" go.

Oh, and I bet Comedy Central is super bummed this didn't happen 6 months ago so they could have given John Oliver 11:30.

Oh, and I bet Comedy Central is super bummed this didn't happen 6 months ago so they could have given John Oliver 11:30.

Oh hell yes, that would have been soooo good.  Oliver with his own show in that slot would have been terrific. 

I bet Comedy Central is bummed but if HBO can't manage John Oliver's new show then I'm pretty sure they're going to get a do-over.

I bet Comedy Central is bummed but if HBO can't manage John Oliver's new show then I'm pretty sure they're going to get a do-over.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. It kind of makes me want Last Week Tonight to be bad. Does that make me a bad person?

I would guess that he won't be in character? 

Indeed, this is correct. “I won’t be doing the new show in character, so we’ll all get to find out how much of him was me,” Colbert said in a statement via CBS. “I’m looking forward to it.”

AND SO AM I.

The whole situation makes me feel strangely nostalgic. I've watched the Colbert Report off and on since its inception, and during some of my teen years, the rebellious thing I did was staying up late together with a buddy of mine and watch Letterman on whatever channel that was aired in my country. It's all changing! Exciting.

Have any of y'all seen The Raid 2 yet? I think it opens in my city this weekend, but I'm having trouble finding showtimes. The first one OWNS SO HARD and is pretty much required viewing if you like action/martial arts flicks. It's crazy brutal though, so if you have a weak stomach proceed with caution. The new one looks to be even more batshit awesome than the first, which is already maybe the best action movie I've seen from the past decade. But yeah. The Raid 2 is my most hyped movie of the year. 

The Raid 2 was fucking fantastic. It expands on the first one in every way without getting too bloated. A lot of the story beats are massive cliches in the

undercover cop/crime family

genre, but it leaves them behind in the second half and scene to scene it's very inventive. It reminded me of Oldboy in the direction, production design etc. The fights are a bit tighter and more varied as well, and I was toe-curling and fist-gnawing most of the way through the film.

Definitely the best action movie in ages.

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. It kind of makes me want Last Week Tonight to be bad. Does that make me a bad person?

Yes. I don't think Comedy Central needs a monopoly on John Oliver.