ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy :tup::tup:

It's frightening to me how much you can change someones appearance with a few tweaks. It took me a while to realize that was in fact Cumberbatch and I wasn't going crazy.

It also possesses the fastest "Time to Jonh Hurt's Death" I have ever seen. People really like killing him.

I won't spoil anything for the moment until other people see it. It's rather slow, but I think that quite serves it. And damn, what a cast.

Was atone else really put off in Sherlock by the really weirdly dyed hair of Cumberbatch? There just big splotches of brown in amongst the black, and it was the weirdest thing.

Who was Cumberbatch exactly? I can't remember that. I liked the episode, but it went a bit over the top in terms of showing off Holmes' abilities. The guy is smart, we get it... Some of the shots, it's like they're filming a super hero or something.

Who was Cumberbatch exactly? I can't remember that. I liked the episode, but it went a bit over the top in terms of showing off Holmes' abilities. The guy is smart, we get it... Some of the shots, it's like they're filming a super hero or something.

Cumberbatch is Holmes.

I found the episode very enjoyable, but it's weaker than the first one. I'd figured out the entire case 40 minutes into the episode - the only thing

I couldn't fit in was the meat, and that proved to be a red herring

Next week's episode should prove interesting. It's being penned by Stephen Thompson, who wrote last year's pirate episode for Doctor Who, and that was poor; his Sherlock episode, "The Blind Banker", was rather bland too. I hope this proves good.

Cumberbatch is Holmes.

Woah, I missed that twist. Seems a bit far-fetched to me.

I found the episode very enjoyable, but it's weaker than the first one. I'd figured out the entire case 40 minutes into the episode - the only thing

I couldn't fit in was the meat, and that proved to be a red herring

Next week's episode should prove interesting. It's being penned by Stephen Thompson, who wrote last year's pirate episode for Doctor Who, and that was poor; his Sherlock episode, "The Blind Banker", was rather bland too. I hope this proves good.

Yeah; I mean, this should hopefully be a HUGE finale. I mean, The Reicenbach Falls? Holmes and Moriarty

plunging to their death

? Yes pls.

Woah, I missed that twist. Seems a bit far-fetched to me.

Sherlock was actually my first introduction to Cumberbatch, so my view on his appearance is naturally a bit twisted.

Much preferred the previous Sherlock to this one. I was actually hoping that Sherlock would not have gone to Dartmoor with Watson like he first suggested (Why? For the cigarettes?) and as is

approximately

the case in the original story. The plot could have proved much more interesting that way. Also, an hours would have been quite enough for this episode - the script lacked that certain "tightness".

Much preferred the previous Sherlock to this one. I was actually hoping that Sherlock would not have gone to Dartmoor with Watson like he first suggested (Why? For the cigarettes?) and as is

approximately

the case in the original story. The plot could have proved much more interesting that way.

Yeah, me too. Wikipedia says it was a deliberate jokey "fake out" to the audience, as Holmes's absence from Baskerville was apparently due to Conan-Doyle becoming sick of the character. I actually thought it made the book quite interesting, and thought they could have done something better along the same lines, but there you go.

Wikipedia says it was a deliberate jokey "fake out" to the audience

This may have been edited out already! It now just says:

In contrast to the original, however, the producers decided to use the protagonist more in their adaptation, so Sherlock only threatens to stay behind in London.

? It actually says: "Gatiss observes that Conan Doyle's tiredness of the character is demonstrated by Holmes' absence for half of The Hound of the Baskervilles, in which Doctor Watson's role is foregrounded. In contrast to the original, however, the producers decided to use the protagonist more in their adaptation, so Sherlock only threatens to stay behind in London."

1. The "threat" made no sense to anyone who hasn't read the book.

2. The common complaint from readers of The Hound of the Baskervilles was that Sherlock wasn't in it for most of the time.

Ergo: Gatiss put the (otherwise nonsensical) "I'm not going, you can go alone Watson" type lines in as a jokey fake-out for the fans of the new series: "This episode isn't really going to feature Sherlock in it, just like the book" "Huh?" "Just kidding! Of course he's going!"

The flipside is that I quite enjoy spending time in the company of Watson, so I was quite looking forward to seeing them do that.

1. The "threat" made no sense to anyone who hasn't read the book.

2. The common complaint from readers of The Hound of the Baskervilles was that Sherlock wasn't in it for most of the time.

Yes, this was by far the strangest scene. The word

hound

causing him to suddenly change his mind seemed like a terrible switch to throw in, and made the earlier dialogue seem like weird filler. Later linking it to a memory palace* then having an awful sequence about it did not feel neat or necessary.

Still enjoyed it though.

*a legit and effective memory technique, though usually for remembering short lists; a good magician/illusionist might be able to use it to remember fifty or so items with a load of practice.

This Sherlock was quite effective as a scary romp through UK backlands. It felt a lot more confident and proper as a story than the first one. But in both cases I don't understand why they're 90 minutes instead of 60. There's a lot of filler material because of it.

This Sherlock was quite effective as a scary romp through UK backlands. It felt a lot more confident and proper as a story than the first one. But in both cases I don't understand why they're 90 minutes instead of 60. There's a lot of filler material because of it.

I don't get it, either. The original pilot was 60 mins, but the BBC rejected it and told them to re-film it, making it 90 mins. I'd love to know the logic behind it. The original 60 pilot is on the DVD.

I saw The Artist yesterday. It was lovely in a way I don't feel entirely comfortable discussing. I fear it would undermine my carefully cultivated air of manliness.

Seriously, though, I found it disarmingly heart-warming. I recommend it to anyone who can stomach nice films with no helicopters exploding in them.

I did predict the ending device as soon as Valentini started hearing sound effects, but that didn't spoil the effect at all.

It's frightening to me how much you can change someones appearance with a few tweaks. It took me a while to realize that was in fact Cumberbatch and I wasn't going crazy.

From what I remember, he pretty much just looked like Benedict Cumberbatch. Holmes is probably the most different I've seen him, and that's only really because of the hair.

Later linking it to a memory palace* then having an awful sequence about it did not feel neat or necessary.

Yeah, I disliked that bit for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they describe the memory palace as, you know, a palace, and then immediately show it as more of a memory Kinnect, which seems inconsistent and silly. Secondly, that Minority Report-style stuff is pretty cringeworthy in its own right by this point.

Other than that I'm enjoying the new series quite a lot. I had a few reservations about the first series, and it seems it'll be the same way this time around, but it's nothing I can't look past. I find Moriarty rather too cartoonish, and some of the editing and stylistic elements (such as some of the kinetic typography) a little too swish for the programme's own good. I can understand the concerns raised earlier about the depiction of Irene Adler, but I think that overall the character is treated with a reasonable degree of respect; perhaps she deserves more, but she's shown to be very capable.

I'm not entirely against the idea of ninety-minute episodes, but I'd agree that neither of the two shown so far have filled the full time well. I was happy that they kept going, because I was enjoying them, but the time could definitely have been used more efficiently.

Other than that I've been watching the first few episodes of Breaking Bad. It's looking like it might actually be as good as everyone says it is, which is nice.

Ergo: Gatiss put the (otherwise nonsensical) "I'm not going, you can go alone Watson" type lines in as a jokey fake-out for the fans of the new series: "This episode isn't really going to feature Sherlock in it, just like the book" "Huh?" "Just kidding! Of course he's going!"

Sure, but you're inferring that, Wikipedia isn't saying it.

Sure, but you're inferring that, Wikipedia isn't saying it.

*Comes out from behind a curtain noticeably smarter than when we saw him last. He is in a suit, clean shaven, and with slicked back hair. He has a microphone on his lapel which amplifies his shaky voice around the room*

To Ben, and my fellow thumbs,

I wrote that post at 3.50am on my phone, on a sleepless night... but I fully understand that is no excuse for what I did, nor the harm it caused. I want to unreservedly apologise for any undue suffering or confusion that resulted from my actions. And I'd like to thank you, Ben, for being the one person who stood up and really made me look at what I'd done.

The things I wrote were the ramblings of a man on his way down. A man in need of help. A man who had lost his way. And the reaction here has been a wake-up call. A long needed wake-up call. Finally seeing my actions for what they were has finally made me seek the help I... I... *begins to tear up* ...should have... *blubbers almost indecipherably* ...sawbt longbt abo. *awkwardly regains composure*

Please understand that I know I have let myself down. I have let Wikipedia down. And I have let my fellow Thumbs down.

I hope one day you'll see that my actions were not malicious, nor deliberate, but actually a cry for help. And, as thoughtless and irresponsible as my post was, that you'll eventually find it in your heart to forgive me.

I look forward to being able to prove to you all that I have changed, and if I'm lucky, to eventually earn your trust again.

Thank you.

*Bows his head, and walks back behind the curtain. We watch the curtain for a while and then hear his disembodied voice as clearly as before.*

Do you think they bought it?

What do you mean it's still on?? Turn it off! TURN IT O--

*Feedback fills the room, and then silence.*

Edited by ThunderPeel2001

:violin: (I'm using it as :epicmusicalscore: as opposed to :bequietyouwhinger: :grin:) Edited by Orvidos

I think we should all step back and have a nice, calming wank.

(There needs to be a 'medicinal wank' smiley.)

WAIT, I now get why I'm not digging this new season of Sherlock! It's become a status quo show! So far we've had two somewhat nice cases, which is two-thirds of all we're going to get this year, and nothing has changed for Holmes and Watson. At the end of the episode they're the same as in the beginning with no development of their relationships or the politics of their surroundings. The first season evolved their situation every time.

Cumberbatch says one ongoing arc is the humanisation of Holmes, which we saw quite a lot of in Hounds.

You can't really expect it to stray too far from 'Holmes and Watson solve crimes, annoy each other', though...

Yes we can: we saw it in the first season and they've shown themselves more than willing to adjust the material pretty far.

The first season didn't do that much, did it? It introduced the two characters and moved them into the ongoing 'Holmes and Watson solve crimes, annoy each other' relationship, which was pretty much set by the third ep and is being continued now.

I'm all for evolution over revolution, but what kind of things could they do to the "development of their relationships or the politics of their surroundings"?

This really isn't rocket surgery: create an overarching plot threading every event together. Some scheme by Moriarty other than "create mayhem", at the end of which there is a great upheaval and the rules of engagement change. I want a sense of mystery and complicated plots within plots, not the inconsequential detectiving we've gotten so far.

I'm glad for Holmes that he's humanising, but that's not enough for me. It might be for you.