ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Voyager is probably my favorite Star Trek, but only just. Everything else vies for second, and third is just barely taken by Enterprise. Unlike the seeming majority of fans, I don't hate Enterprise, but it's not, say, The Tapestry from TNG, or False Profits from Voyager.

It's not bad, and it has some fantastic moments, but it slips gently into third place for me.

As for Voyager itself. . .I posted a video a page back or so, I believe. It basically accuses Voyager of being Lost In Space. Which I can't really deny. But I think, typical of 80s/90s Trek, the interactions are so good (mostly, you can safely ignore Kess for most of it), the settings and individual episodes hold their own for almost the entire run. My personal opinion is that it lags a bit in season 6 (

the Borg children are stupid, thank you

) but it otherwise is fantastic through-out.

Yeah, I've had "serious" Trek fans berate me for liking Voyager, but I think it's just good fun dammit. It's a bit silly, and the first couple of seasons are really slow, but it finds its groove nicely. Personally, the one I didn't enjoy much was Deep Space 9, which I found to be plodding and preachy, with all the others sitting comfortably in my "not the best thing ever, but very fun" zone.

Cool. Thanks for that guys. Good to get an understanding of where it sits in the sci-fi spectrum. All I can think is that Firefly is next. But I think that for everyone. Lol.

Voyager is pretty OK and one of the most casually watchable Star Trek series, although it has a liberal sprinkling of utterly dud episodes.

I loved this episode back in the nineties.

All I can think is that Firefly is next.

And perhaps Red Dwarf (series 1-6 only), as that was another one Voyager was seen to be inspired by.

I'm surprised by all the Voyager love, having never seen it I was under the impression that it was universally tolerated at best.

And perhaps Red Dwarf (series 1-6 only), as that was another one Voyager was seen to be inspired by.

I'm surprised by all the Voyager love, having never seen it I was under the impression that it was universally tolerated at best.

Amongst the Trekists that I know, it's typically Enterprise that is given a swift and thorough passing over when the topic comes up. Maybe it's different depending on which ones you grew up watching and who introduced you. Something to consider at least.

Well sure, Enterprise is the worst. But I thought Voyager was a close second.

Oh, and it's "Trekkies".

Well sure, Enterprise is the worst. But I thought Voyager was a close second.

Oh, and it's "Trekkies".

You know the whole Trekkie/Trekker bullshit? Both of which apparently pass Chromes spellcheck? Yeah, no, I just started calling them "Trekists" years ago. Which has lead to some awkward moments, but still, it means I just end up getting corrected instead of having to participate in an argument.

You know the whole Trekkie/Trekker bullshit?

As I understand it, people have always called Trek fanatics 'Trekkies', but some of them refuse to use it themselves as they think it's a derogatory term. So they call themselves Trekkers, because that's sooo much cooler and will make everyone think they're NOT nerds. I insist on calling them Trekkies.

The new season of Dr Who is off to an excellent start.

Second episode topped the first one. My favorite two-parter ever, and maybe the best DW episode I've seen.

Watched The Fly yesterday. Disturbing stuff.

attachment.php?attachmentid=679&d=1304355108

post-619-13375603384463_thumb.jpg

Just watched the first of the new season of Doctor Who. About to watch the second one, and the post will be edited accordingly but uhm. . .

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON HERE?!

Back soon.

Post-Ep2: Damnit, I love Doctor Who. What the hell is going on.

Edited by Orvidos

That was a pretty good double bill. I would say it was the best writing, or at least plotting, in Dr Who to date - if it wasn't for all the loose ends we have to wait on. Also it felt a little rushed, and really needed to be a three-parter. The defeat of the Silence was so incredibly clever, but it happened so quickly I nearly missed it.

Is this an argument for making Dr Who even more long-arc, reducing the monster-of-the-week format that TV execs love so much?

Well, I don't think there's been a Doctor Who two-parter that I've not enjoyed (Weeping Angels comes to mind here. I enjoyed it even though it left me a bit skittish for a while.) And yeah, it could probably stand to be a three-parter, but my suspicion is that it'll come back to haunt them later. After all, if my guess is correct,

the girl is their child

but that's not horribly hard to make a logical-leap to make.

Still really enjoyed it, thought Canton was fantastic (as I usually do with that actor) and it's nice to know Doctor Who can still manage the psychological horror, which I've always loved from them.

I prefer the more future and outer space stuff from Dr Who. For example the The Impossible Planet and The Satan Pit are amongst by favorites.

Those are my least favourite!

I also tend to dislike episodes with several parts, though that's probably because of the previous writer. Many of the seasons ended with really cumbersome wannabe epic episodes.

I'm watching the Children of Dune miniseries on DVD and I have to say... I just can't get over how strange it is that Dune became so popular. That has nothing to do with it's quality, which is high (though the adaptation I'm watching now is so haphazard as to be indecipherable if you haven't read the books first, I wonder if anyone who hasn't could ever understand any of it), but everything to do with how fucking weird Dune is.

It's such a bizarre thing, even for scifi! The weird arab influences, the philosophies that you can hardly identify with (seeing the future, being trapped in a destiny, being a godlike prophet or indeed god), the weirdness of how these people operate (every bit of dialogue means something else, everything is a plot), the whole thing. I love Dune for it, it's excellent and unique, but how the hell could this have gotten such, relative, mainstream acceptance and popularity? It's such an anomaly. Baffle me this, Batman.

I. . .hmmm. I honestly hadn't considered it before, but it does seem to have, doesn't it? I can't come up with a solid answer for the phenomena either. The spice must flow works, I guess.

I'm watching the Children of Dune miniseries on DVD and I have to say... I just can't get over how strange it is that Dune became so popular. That has nothing to do with it's quality, which is high (though the adaptation I'm watching now is so haphazard as to be indecipherable if you haven't read the books first, I wonder if anyone who hasn't could ever understand any of it), but everything to do with how fucking weird Dune is.

It's such a bizarre thing, even for scifi! The weird arab influences, the philosophies that you can hardly identify with (seeing the future, being trapped in a destiny, being a godlike prophet or indeed god), the weirdness of how these people operate (every bit of dialogue means something else, everything is a plot), the whole thing. I love Dune for it, it's excellent and unique, but how the hell could this have gotten such, relative, mainstream acceptance and popularity? It's such an anomaly. Baffle me this, Batman.

It's just a really great book. True, the sequels stank, but that's a separate issue. "Reality" has never been that important when it comes to sci-fi, or even fiction. I guess it's great escapism. Plus some of the philosophy is relatable.

Watched The Fly yesterday. Disturbing stuff.

Oh my, I need to see that again. Am I correct in remembering there is an awkward sex scene involving Goldblum at some point? Either that or he is thought of as a male sex symbol? Both, possibly?

There is a weird Goldblum workout scene at least. I honestly don't remember how awkward the sex scene was, probably quite. Naked Goldblum holding a baboon has effectively wiped all the other scenes from my mind.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Not your average hill billy slasher movie. This one is actually funny :)

It fits in the line of Army of Darkness and Shaun of the Dead.

Tucker & Dale vs Evil

Not your average hill billy slasher movie. This one is actually funny :)

It fits in the line of Army of Darkness and Shaun of the Dead.

This sold out the opening night of our Underground Film Festival, being a largely local production. I sat in for about 3/4 of it and really want to see the whole thing. I really liked what there was to see. Also, Alan fucking Tudyk.