ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

Hey, has anyone here seen Eastbound & Down? Looks like it's probably quite bad...

I hate you so much right now. I just thought you should know that :P

Hey, has anyone here seen Eastbound & Down? Looks like it's probably quite bad...

It's pretty funny sometimes, though the humor is of a pretty particular kind, and doesn't waver at all ever. It's basically Danny McBride being a big stupid redneck asshole to everyone, while they in turn are unrealistically kind and overbearing for the purposes of letting him do his thing.

If you've already seen Community, Arrested Development, 30 Rock, Archer, The Office, Mr. Show and every other show I forgot, but think is funnier, I guess I would recommend it.

It's pretty funny sometimes, though the humor is of a pretty particular kind, and doesn't waver at all ever. It's basically Danny McBride being a big stupid redneck asshole to everyone, while they in turn are unrealistically kind and overbearing for the purposes of letting him do his thing.

It's definitely requires you to acquire a taste for it, but from what you've said it seems you've only watched a few episodes? I think it's an amazing show. The only problem is that most people have probably seen McBride's schtik now.

Back when he was on Conan, people thought he really was Fred Simmons:

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1b0653c31c/my-conan-apperance-from-fred-simmons

No, I've watched all of it, and as I said, I think it's pretty funny (though I probably shouldn't have used "sometimes" since apparently I find it funny enough to watch) It's just that the humor is very up-front and obvious, and the joke is the same throughout. It's not subtle. Which is totally fine, obviously. I just prefer those other shows, and would recommend watching them over this, if the person I was giving my recommendation to hadn't already.

No, I've watched all of it, and as I said, I think it's pretty funny (though I probably shouldn't have used "sometimes" since apparently I find it funny enough to watch) It's just that the humor is very up-front and obvious, and the joke is the same throughout. It's not subtle. Which is totally fine, obviously. I just prefer those other shows, and would recommend watching them over this, if the person I was giving my recommendation to hadn't already.

Fair enough. For me it started out like that, but then got more interesting and complicated as it went on. I actually got really caught up in the story. I thought Season 2 went too far in places, but I still loved having a character I utterly despised the one second, and felt sorry for and related to the next. An unusual mixture.

When I said "in the spoiler" I was referring to the contents of Rodi's spoiler (quoted above in my post). I didn't say anything spoilery but what I was saying was based off of a

-wrapped remark Rodi made.

Ah, my bad. I'm just hyper-sensitive because I'm reading (and enjoying) the book right now. Still can't get over their apparent lack of similarity. After being supposedly spawned from the Monkey Island movie, I thought it fitting that the series went back to the book which inspired Ron Gilbert in the first place. I guess not.

We watched Clue from 1985. Tim Curry steals the show as the butler.

I had no idea that this movie about the boardgame Cluedo (as it's called around here) even existed. Also Christopher Lloyd as Professor Plum is one of the characters in this movie, but compared to Tim Curry's awesome delivery, Lloyd is relegated into a supporting role here.

I really liked the

ending twist with the three different endings, just like how the game would go!

I had no idea that this movie about the boardgame Cluedo (as it's called around here) even existed. Also Christopher Lloyd as Professor Plum is one of the characters in this movie, but compared to Tim Curry's awesome delivery, Lloyd is relegated into a supporting role here.

I really liked the

Yeah that's a great little film.

I'm going to see a play this weekend written by a friend of mine which is along similar lines. With the addition that the four actors play four roles each. In quick succession. There's something like 120 costume changes in total. It's been written to be "almost impossible to perform". I helped build the set and even just from that it looks like it's going to be hilarious.

Oh also the audience chooses a murder weapon during the interval. This gets revealed to the cast in the last couple of scenes, which dictated how the play is going to end. There are four very different ending.

It's called Four Play. YaY!

Oh dear, Martin Mull as Colonel Mustard? Christopher Lloyd as Professor Plum? I'm certainly watching this when I wake up.

I really liked the

Definitely amusing. A bit like

. Factoid: If you saw it in the cinema you would have seen one of the endings. Apparently they randomly distributed different prints, with different endings, to different cinemas.

Murder by Death terrified me when I was a dinky kid. It is a better movie. Truman Capote plays the main patriarch figure who invites people to his mansion out in the country.

Went to see On Stranger Tides in the evening. After reading what a bunch of you had said and some other critical things, my expectations were quite low. So in the end, it wasn't too bad, but definitely the worst so far. Eh. It dragged in a bunch of parts, other than that. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. :tmeh:

Went to see On Stranger Tides in the evening. After reading what a bunch of you had said and some other critical things, my expectations were quite low. So in the end, it wasn't too bad, but definitely the worst so far. Eh. It dragged in a bunch of parts, other than that. Wasn't terrible, wasn't great. :tmeh:

Can I just ask for a second opinion regarding the book and the movie: Is there really no way the film can spoil the book for me? (A simple yes or no from someone familiar with both would be appreciated! :))

Now that's not good to hear, I was really hoping that this would be better than the third movie was and that movie was really horrible.

The second was at least kind of ok and Monkey Islandy with the voodoo lady etc.

First one is still a solid great adventure movie, the only one worth owning on dvd/bluray.

Now that's not good to hear, I was really hoping that this would be better than the third movie was and that movie was really horrible.

The second was at least kind of ok and Monkey Islandy with the voodoo lady etc.

First one is still a solid great adventure movie, the only one worth owning on dvd/bluray.

I think the third one at least has some good, memorable moments. It's easy to shit all over that film, but the sword fight on the spinning wheel and that huge water vortex thing at the end were kinda cool. Also, the soundtrack was fantastic for the third one.

The spinning wheel battle was Dead Man's Chest, I believe! But that's exactly my point, the third movie was a goddamn mess, but it had heart, at the very least.

I saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time and it was every bit as good as I was always told. It's such an eye-opener too, since all the characters are flat as a pancake and have no development. Yet they're all thoroughly captivating, going against every storytelling instinct in my body. It's fascinating, and a superb work of film making.

I saw Dr. Strangelove for the first time and it was every bit as good as I was always told. It's such an eye-opener too, since all the characters are flat as a pancake and have no development. Yet they're all thoroughly captivating, going against every storytelling instinct in my body. It's fascinating, and a superb work of film making.

"Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines."

It gets better on second and third viewing; one of my favorites.

Some interviewee on this documentary claims later research showed that the movie was a lot closer to reality than the film crew knew. It's a notion that makes the situation even more ridiculous, so the movie ends-up funnier for it. Oddly, I never figured out it was Peter Sellers playing three parts until the "hamstring" scene.

Anyways, great one, this.

I watched that recently, too. Still a great movie. Sellers as the British RAF pilot is amazing. But there's so many funny moments in that film. Sellers was originally supposed to play the Texan pilot, but he and Kubrick had a falling out (and he sprained his ankle) so Slim Pickens got drafted in... he was great, too.

Such a great movie.

that huge water vortex thing at the end were kinda cool. Also, the soundtrack was fantastic for the third one.

That scene bored me so bad I thought I was watching robots digging through a ceiling in Matrix Revolutions.

Kung-Fu Panda 2 could be a great movie, if they had remove some of the fat (they overplayed Po's gooffery way too much for my taste and the theme of the storyline were hammered repeatedly at the end), but there are a few moments and scenes that show the Dreamworks story team is maturing in terms what they want to say and how they say it.

In fact, there are 3 scenes between Tigress and Po that are really nice nuggets of defining a character emotional backstory with little to no dialog. How to Train your Dragon had an ending that are similar qualities so I hope that they go in this way ... I pretty much dislike the rest of their CGI movies.

Beside that, the choreographies are gorgeous and the fighting style animation are nothing short of perfect.

I was gonna start that too not long ago, but i got introduced to House ........

might go ahead and start it soon ...

Hello Villiams, nice to see another new poster.

Just finished watching the original 'The Crazies', stragne film. It was interesting to see that Romero was actualyl trying to tell the tale on 3 levels and it mostly works whereas the remake throws out most of the social commentary and makes it very shallow and a horror film.

Definitely worth checking out if only for one very poignant death scene

I don't know how everyone here feels about machinima. My view is that most of it is a gaggle of 8th graders making funny voices and jokes about whores in WoW. Occasionally however, something utterly amazing comes along.

That's why I genuinely hope that if you're not already aware of Clear Skies, that you'll take the time to become so.

It's essentially EVE fan-fiction machinima, with the character-level parts done in Garry's Mod (sort of.) Note when I say "fan-fiction" this has none of the bad connotations that generally implies.

The third just recently released, and is probably the last one (considering the ending), so now's as good a time as any to take two and a half hours out of your day and watch probably the best machinima ever made.

It's hot-drop o'clock, ladies and gentlemen.

Addendum: YouTube is passable if you crank it up to the maximum res, but here are the three movies off EVE-Files for full definition.

Clear Skies

Clear Skies 2

Clear Skies 3

Caddyshack is a funny movie. Tonally, it's all over the place and never really jives, but there are some funny lines in there. It's not Spinal Tap, but I enjoyed it.

Ghost in the Shell is also a good movie. An anime movie - my fourth non-Miyazaki - without all the trappings that make anime so unwatchable to me. Cyberpunk story, fairly interesting. The art was great, in its old school way. The philosophy didn't interest me as much as it seems to have interested others, but the movie's still worth a watch.

The Hound of the Baskervilles with Basil Rathbone and Nigel Hunt is fun. It essentially just sort of ends, but it's well-cast, well-acted and fairly well-written. It's unbelievably British at times; there's a scene where the cast walks out of a dining room and are mumbling amongst themselves in a way that immediately made me think they'd be wearing top hats. I don't mean that as a slight or as a racist idea, but seriously: those three seconds were more British than Patrick Moore's monocle. Good movie.