ysbreker

Movie/TV recommendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJkyFUpAnuk

Edited to add: I have a real fondness for Robinson Crusoe on Mars, even though I don't think it has much in common with the Martian (no Earth side stuff at all).  But I posted it mostly because of this ridiculous intro on the trailer:

post-33601-0-38770200-1440109922_thumb.jpg

That trailer makes the movie basically just look like Marooned.

God I love Gregory Peck! And man, a young Hackman; I'm not used to that. It's like seeing Richard Gere with brown hair instead of his gray

Huh, they're from Gravity.

Wait, which one's directed by Ridley Scott?

Wait, which one's directed by Ridley Scott?

Gravity: directed by Alfonso Cuaron (of Y Tu Mama Tambien and Children of Men fame)

Interstellar: directed by Christopher Nolan (of Inception and The Dark Knight fame)

The Martian: directed by Ridley Scott (of Prometheus and Alien fame)

Marooned: directed by John Sturges (of The Magnificient Seven and Bad Day at Black Rock fame)

Robinson Crusoe on Mars: directed by Byron Haskin (of War of the Worlds and Treasure Island fame)

Mars Attacks: directed by Tim Burton (of Pee-Wee's Big Adventure and Edward Scissorhands fame)

Mission to Mars: directed by Brian De Palma (of Carrie and The Untouchables fame)

Total Recall: directed by Paul Verhoeven (of Robocop and Starship Troopers fame)

sung by The Undertones (of Teenage Kicks and Here Comes the Summer fame)

sung by The Undertones (of Teenage Kicks and Here Comes the Summer fame)
Well now I want a Mars bar, dammit.

Tonight I saw and very much enjoyed American Ultra. It's a romance action comedy in that order with solid female characters (KStew and Connie Britton's characters are badass and troubled and great) and some nice trope subversion going on. Its stoner humor is actually fresh, not too in your face, and not HAHA POT POT STONERS FUNNY. The cast is pretty ridic. Jesse Eisenberg, Walton Goggins, Johnny Legz, the aforementioned, Topher Grace, Tony Hale, Bill Pullman. It's middling on RT because half of RT's aggregate is mistaken. :(

I would highly highly suggest plz seeing it this weekend so an inventive original property doesn't get outperformed in the box office by an abysmal sequel to an abysmal adaptation to a fucking video game (Hitman 47) thus furthering hollywood's boring modus operandi.  :(

#FullDisclosureMyFriendMaxWroteAmericanUltra

#EthicsInMovieRecommendations

#KristenStewartGate

#IShouldHavePutTheseWarningsMoreProminentAtTheTopPleaseDon'tEmailMyAdvertisers

I'm v proud of him and v bummed about its losing the weekend to 5 unoriginal movies :'( #NothingSubtleHere

American Ultra does look pretty good, but Max Landis seems so insufferable it makes me not want to go see his movies.

I started watching Rick and Morty and its pretty good! Not up there with Steven Universe for me, but it's darn good.

he can be loud but he's great if you get to know him ^__^ and okay jesus I'm sorry I'll stop the namedropiness

been meaning to get into rick and morty. i hear the latest episodes are getting disappointing and more "normal" or less surprising or something tho.

been meaning to get into rick and morty. i hear the latest episodes are getting disappointing and more "normal" or less surprising or something tho.

just the one that came out yesterday; up until that season 2 has been transcendent. 

But plenty of cartoons coast for many episodes at a time on a "meh" level of quality. It'll be back next week hopefully

The Brink with Jack Black and Tim Robbins was an some short series. Season 1 just ended. It's funny and it's really "one more episode" stuff.

Speaking of Jack Black and Tim Robbins, I recently rewatched High Fidelity. They are both really fun in that movie.

Jack Black and Tim Robbins are some of my favorite celebrity friends! Jack Black was in Robbins' acting troupe. They end up in each other's work a lot.

Straight Outta Compton was good. I don't know that I'll ever care to watch it again, but the acting was good and the writers did a decent job of not romanticizing the history too much. It definitely flirts with the issues all big-budget biopics suffer from, but the performances and source material really elevated the whole thing for me. A little long in the tooth, but damn does O'shea Jackson Jr. turn in a commanding performance as his dad.

I watched Gravity last night and Birdman tonight.

Gravity was solid but

boy did I hate the epic music during the evolution finale. it had a beautiful synth score the whole movie but just had to go and get goofy as fuck as ryan took her first earth steps.

Birdman was so tonally weird and confusing with its constantly waffling misanthropy and straight-played "satire/parody" I'm in between still chewing on it and hating it to its core.

I'm reticent to get books from them as they don't work on Kindle and the only one I tried reading on my Android phone via the Google app had some formatting issues. Still not beating the thousands of years old medium there, e-books.

I'm reticent to get books from them as they don't work on Kindle and the only one I tried reading on my Android phone via the Google app had some formatting issues. Still not beating the thousands of years old medium there, e-books.

I'm actually having that same debate with myself.  Just wanted to point it out since we talked about it recently.

I still appreciate you highlighting the deal because I may well buy it and wait for the market to catch up and actually make it a viable proposition for me to read the book I bought.