Marek

Nifty real-time water effect

Oh man, a poll taken from the homepage of the game's Russian developer:

What you didn’t like in Far Cry?

[ ] And what is Far Cry?

[ ] I want to fly!

[ ] Transport is unpractical – 5 meters riding and dismount.

[ ] Mutants and other vermin. I’m tired of it.

[ ] Corridors, long boring corridors. The worst part of the game.

[ ] I like everything, of course.

:shifty:

Outstanding!

Another couple of years of work and we'll have it looking like the real thing, baby!

[Yufster]

Erm the water actually looks dry and like plastic to me. I think that's just the lighting. But it's pretty.

[/Yufster]

You think that word “pirate” long ago became an anachronism, and at the 3rd millennium it’s impossible to meet the specimen of this profession, except in cinema, like a charming Johnny Depp? But in actual fact, the problem of marine brigandage didn’t disappeared during the whole human history, became just little or much more actual, depending on the times.

Want to know, what take place right now?

OK, reports about the piratical attacks are in front of you.

We think, no comments.

My mind has been blown.

you can't do anything else but shake your head and wonder if they ever thought about hiring a proper translator to rewrite the text for their website.

Cause it's a fine case of teh engrish (is there a term for when russians make a mess of the english language?):

Want to know, in what environment would done the events of “Pirates of the XXI Century”?

Simply open any traveler’s booklet that offers tour to some tropical islands in the midst of ocean:

Or take this gem:

Having put realistic graphic as our object, we are coming further and further – and this time shipbuilding yards is in focus of our object-glasses. Of course, navy and the marine in the game will be maximally realistic, but only after seeing oceanic towboat “alive” it’s possible to understand scale of the game. Our travel to a shipbuilding center Ukraine, Nikolayev - was not only highly successful, but also of course not the last one.

teehee :)

Tired from the dull corridors of present-day’s FPS?

Tired from the endless flow of the fanciful monsters and terrible mutants? It looks like 100% déjà vu? We’re agree!

At least they have the right spirit! :tup:

Maritime air, caressing surges of the Ocean, magnificent underwater landscapes and coral reefs, islands, palms, hot sun, beauties and other gems of tropical climate. Relaxing?

This idea is certainly NOT the best. Clear the decks for action!

On air, on land, on- and underwater.

The whole page is a hoot! I wonder if they actually hired anyone to do the English text in the game, though. :confused:

BTW, it is worth noting that in the game, you'll be allowed to explore outward things.

Cause it's a fine case of teh engrish (is there a term for when russians make a mess of the english language?)

If no such term currently exists, may I propose:

Englishki!

If anyone of Slavic descent cares to contest that...

BRING IT ON

Anglish

Englisko

Hmm... Englishki sounds better, though

Hahahaha, they can't write proper english, hahaha... :shifty:

sometimes you guys are real idiots/snobbish assholes!

the graphics look great the water is the best I have seen ever and the idea sounds promising. Apparently they are just getting their shit together. Good luck to them! As to you guys... sometimes... "Oh there are only big developers and EA is teh dev1l!" and then "Haha, look their russian, they can't speak english! Sure they write their own engines and try to create some completely new content but... they don't know english grammar! hahahah" ... :fart:

I think it looks too real for a video game and will stick out against less good looking things, but it is pretty anyway.

That water effect looks pretty nice, maybe not very realistic, but cute. I first thought this screenshot was from some Farcry sequel. :S HL2 still has the best water effect I have ever seen.

Looks good. I hope they have a decent translation in the works, as that Englishski could be distracting for an entire game, but I'm quite hopeful for the game itself. Their hearts are in the right place at the very least, and anything that tries to break the mould I tend to enjoy. Good luck, you commie bastards! You have my full support!

It worked for Samurai Spirits and Zero Wing.

Lailoken, I don't know about anyone else, but I delighted in the bad English, made me all kinds of nostalgic for the old school lo-fi games of the past. Didn't make me think any less of the dev team and their abilities to make a game.

I'd never want to take the piss out of the translation, I had that too much when I lived abroad with kids taking the mick out of my accent and getting words wrong.

To be honest, many Russian developers produce excellent titles and to far smaller budgets than Western and Asian houses. They have also been responsible for some of the most effective RTS engines out there. I think I speak for everyone when I say we are not being personal when picking out grammatical errors. Many of us work for translation houses and it's just one of those things. No one should take offense. If you do, I appologise on behalf of all.

Currently, I agree with Yufster; it looks a little plastic BUT that could just be the static image. In motion it probably uses lighting to varying effect to produce realism. I look forward to the finished product.