lailoken

Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince...

Just finished the book in a 12 hour crunch.

Sadly to me it really shows that it's leading up to the greate finale, but there is tons of goodness in there. I still really admire the way Rowling manages to suck you into this world and this book has some really interesting points as you get to explore a bit about the background of Lord Voldemort. I don't really expect anyone here to read these as I guess it's not cool and all but I REALLY liked it.

Also I read it as a pdf (I ordered an original copy but it's at my parents place) and I really have to say that I actually found it really comfortable! Maybe there is a market for ebooks because of lazybones like me. No squinting and holding the book... though I still like to buy books same as with CDs...

My sister bought it yesterday and started today, she likes it a lot so far and she read quite a bit of it (I think).

I'm contemplating if I want to read it or not. I've read Goblet of Fire and it did nothing for me, I thought it was just okay. And I'm reading James Joyce's (near) complete works right now, I finished Ulysses and I'm now reading A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man which is much shorter, but I still have quite a bit to read after it.

I guess I'll read it if I'll have time (which means; yes, probably).

I started reading the books when the third one had just come out and, while I can barely remember what happened in the last one now, I feel I should see it through and find out how Rowling wraps it up, so I got my copy of Half-Blood Prince in the post on Saturday morning.

I've barely read it yet though, I'm about 120 pages in. Didn't go for a marathon crunch read like those crazy kids. It's good so far, slower than the cracking pace I remember some of the others having, but it is recapping some of the stuff that happened at the end Order Of The Phoenix, which is handy for me.

After this, I will be picking up a few Raymond Chandler to take on holiday, and then some other books for the last year of my American Literature course, to read ahead of term starting. But Harry takes priority, I think my little sister is waiting to read it.

After this, I will be picking up a few Raymond Chandler to take on holiday

:tup::tup:

I bought every Douglass Adams book and William Gibson book I didn't have yet last friday :) So far i've finished Dirk gently holistic detective and am currently racing thorugh the dark teatime of the soul. Very great books indeed. Next on the 'to read'-list is either William Gibson's Count zero or Douglass' Salmon of doubt

The Salmon of Doubt becomes exponentially depressing as you proceed. I advise reading the first 2 thirds only. Though the last third will inevitably be read, you will at least partially regret it, IMO.

I think it's something similar to "better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all".

(Incidentally, I'm reading Count Zero right now.)

Harry Potter and Joyce in the same breath. What the crap?

I don't know if I'll have the sautéd monkfish with lemongrass and pepper or if I'll have the birdseye fish fingers.

The Salmon of Doubt becomes exponentially depressing as you proceed. I advise reading the first 2 thirds only. Though the last third will inevitably be read, you will at least partially regret it, IMO.

I think that ever since he died, every Douglas Adams book kinda becomes depressing to read. I finished the first Dirk Gently book a couple of months ago and then became really depressed that there won't be anymore books by him and that there's no authors out there that are like him. I'm really running out of Douglas Adams stuff to read too, I have to read the 2nd Dirk Gently book, and his non-fiction stuff then I'll pretty much be done. I suppose I should listen to the first two phases of the radio show, not that I can find it anywhere in stores. I bought the tertiary phase a week ago and it was really weird hearing him do the voice of a character after his death.

It's too bad that authors like him are gone while Tom Clancy continues to sell the same crap over and over.

Q: What's more over rated than Golden eye and Halo combined?

A: ¬¬

Q: What's fun to read, harmless, and not at all pretentious, and therefore has no reason for people to turn their noses up at it?

A: see above implied A.

please.

hmm I've jsut realised the last few posts I made on the forums were hateful, spiteful and arrogant. I must be in a bad mood but I dont think I am.... there must be a reason. I shall invoke the detective skills of Inspector Morse to solve the case.

I think people are just randomly discussing several of my pet hates.

Just ignore me and go back to your lives.

Just finished the book in a 12 hour crunch.

Sadly to me it really shows that it's leading up to the greate finale, but there is tons of goodness in there. I still really admire the way Rowling manages to suck you into this world and this book has some really interesting points as you get to explore a bit about the background of Lord Voldemort. I don't really expect anyone here to read these as I guess it's not cool and all but I REALLY liked it.

Also I read it as a pdf (I ordered an original copy but it's at my parents place) and I really have to say that I actually found it really comfortable! Maybe there is a market for ebooks because of lazybones like me. No squinting and holding the book... though I still like to buy books same as with CDs...

I just finished the book.

I think I know who R.A.B is...

The internet is like some kind of extremely suspect supercomputer served with the sole duty of preemptively untying the knots of popular fiction.

I'm pretty sure it's going to turn out to be Regalus Black. Sirius's brother who was killed by Lord V.

Also: (more spoiler)

If you go back to the last book and look at the section where they're cleaning the Black House, you'll be able to note that one of the objects was a locket that no one could open.

Harry Potter and Joyce in the same breath. What the crap?

I don't know if I'll have the sautéd monkfish with lemongrass and pepper or if I'll have the birdseye fish fingers.

Fish fingers are delicious.

Also...

Hee, nice one General. I guessed Regalus Black, and have been tempted to read through book #5 to see if such a locket does show up. In the end I couldn't be bothered.

The whole Snape thing is fishy, too... Hagrid overheard a conversation between Dumbledore & Snape where Dumbledore insisted Snape had to do something, and Snape was angry about it. Dumbledore totally wouldn't plead for his life, either.

I think I just made this conversation far too uncool.

uh... first about Adams. Have you guys read Last Chance to See? It's non-fiction, but it's hilarious. It's one of my favorites of his.

I just finished reading the new Harry Potter book as well. :shifty: After the last book, which was quite terrible, I was pleasently surprised that this one wasn't. It seems Harry has finally gotten over TALKING IN CAPS AND KEEPING EVERYTHING TO HIMSELF. He was quite a prick, and is much more bearable. I also thought the same thing about the initials, and agree about Snape as well. At any rate, even if I'm wrong and Dumbledore didn't want him to do it, she's bound to work in some sort of cliche redemption in the next book.