lailoken

Harry Potter and the Halfblood Prince...

I really enjoyed all of the "Chosen One" crap in this book. Couldn't help but think back to this most excellent song.

While I was at it I got three other songs from the game: Beer Song, Bard Song, and the Tale of the Nukelavee. Best part of the game. I'm not sure why they seemed to pimp the beer song so much. I thought it was the least good of the bunch.

I've just finished the book....

:eek:;(:bomb: :\ :tup:

No some jerk told me SNAPE was going to die not Dumbledore! *sniff*

I think Pratchett is better than Rowling, but she is more famous because of the films!

The moment they make a Discworld movie things shoudl change, I hope...

Problem is that Pratchett has less mainstream appeal. He has been approached about making a movie on numerous occasions, but he wisely always throws the person out when they suggest something like taking the Death character out of Mort becuase "the ameican audience might not 'get' him".

I don't particularly like Pratchett. I've read through four or five Discworld books, and haven't been particularly impressed. Rowling 4eva. People just like decorating their bookshelfs with pretty Discworld spines, they simply must own the whole collection! Just like Pokemon.

I bet Potter has been responsible for a lot of people taking up the Discworld series. My small brother certainly had an interest in fantasy after he finished reading about Hogwarts, and Pratchett led the way.

I don't particularly like Pratchett. I've read through four or five Discworld books, and haven't been particularly impressed. Rowling 4eva. People just like decorating their bookshelfs with pretty Discworld spines, they simply must own the whole collection! Just like Pokemon.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA you're a fucking idiot!!!

OMG banned!

Which Discworld novels did you read, scabb? His style has developed over time.

While it's fair that you personally may not like Pratchett's writing, on purely objective level it's fairly easy to see that he is a far, far better wordsmith than Rowling. His use of the English language and subversion of fantasy cliché (rather than mere exploitation of it) is just plainly superiior.

Then again, if you prefer something simpler aimed at a younger readership, pick up The Amazing Maurice, Wee Free Men, or Hatful of Sky, or indeed any of the other Pratchett books for children.

well in that case I will have to check out some of the more recent discworld novels, so far I only read colour of magic and thought it was rubbish. sorry, but that's just the truth. But I shall try again. I think it's stupid to compare rowling and pratchett as they work in completely different areas.

In one area Rowling is definitely superior, massmarket appeal, there is a reason for her making more money per novel than anybody else. pratchett I bet would be amongst the first to agree...but don't let me keep you from bickering...

Pratchett it the one who is really doing mass market. Someone who is capable of writing 20+ books with exactly the same plot and building a fanbase around that is clearly looking for nothing but money.

:hah:

OMG banned!

Which Discworld novels did you read, scabb? His style has developed over time.

While it's fair that you personally may not like Pratchett's writing, on purely objective level it's fairly easy to see that he is a far, far better wordsmith than Rowling. His use of the English language and subversion of fantasy cliché (rather than mere exploitation of it) is just plainly superiior.

Then again, if you prefer something simpler aimed at a younger readership, pick up The Amazing Maurice, Wee Free Men, or Hatful of Sky, or indeed any of the other Pratchett books for children.

I read more of the early ones - the first two Rincewind books, 'Mort', 'Guards! Guards!' and maybe another. Mort was probably the most enjoyable. It's not that I need something simple either :shifty:, it's just that I can't stand the forced zaniness of Pratchett, how every thing is all quirky and therefore hilarious. Like an eighth colour! A wizard that can't do spells! A hilariously agressive, mobile piece of luggage! It was a long time ago, so not a lot else comes to mind, but Pratchett seemed to focus more on being eccentric than telling stories. And pandering to the nerdy men.

I know a plasterer with a flatcap, a thick yorkshire accent and a wad of rolling tobaccos constantly stuffed into his front pocket who thoroughly enjoys them, though.