lailoken

Seen any good movies lately?

I just saw a couple of movies like: the new batman and I thought it was awesome! :tup:

Fantastic four: it was okay some parts were good.

I just watched The Fog of War again, that film really deserved its Oscar I think. Errol Morris seems like a pretty interesting guy, can anyone endorse the pro-Morris opinions I have heard voiced aroundabout?

Just watched Steamboy and The Spongebob Squarepants movie yesterday.

Steamboy I watched in english and I think that was mostly why I thought it was over the top and ridiculous to no end. I guess it being in japanese would have reminded me that it IS an animé and that I should be more forgiving because of that... but really...

Spongebob... well what can I say. Is this really supposed to be a childrens movie? It would have baffled me completely as a kid but then I can't possibly imagine what it is to be a small kid anymore...sadly. So... I was laughing my ass off! Good god, "Riding the Hasselhof" indeed.

Man, Spongebob was ridiculously good. Harold and Kumar was surprisingly enjoyable too. Both more enjoyable after spliff, naturally.

Anyway, thus far, it is my favorite Ghibli movie, though I still have many left to see.

Mmm, you need to see Omohide PoroPoro aka Only Yesterday, this anime is even beyond the title "best anime ever"; it is just one of the greatest movie of all time. No kidding. Takahata kicks Miyazaki ass ... and gods knows, how I love Miyazaki's works.

Surprisingly, "The 40 Year old Virgin" is a really good movie. It's hilarious, a lot of raucous humor but a touching human story.

And I think I know the gay non-virgin version of the "The 40 Year old Virgin". Weird, but true.

Surprisingly, "The 40 Year old Virgin" is a really good movie. It's hilarious, a lot of raucous humor but a touching human story.

And I think I know the gay non-virgin version of the "The 40 Year old Virgin". Weird, but true.

Hell yes, you're absolutely right. 40 Year Old Virgin is hilarious and awesome, without being stupid and juvenile. The Daily Show's Steve Carrel + co-writer/director Judd Apatow = WIN. Go see it.

Well, I'm off to see "The Aristocrats" sometime soon. I'll report back. I'm expecting big things from this flick...

Hmm... Had a mild obsession with Kat Dennings for some time, she has actually been in a good film?

Couple of days ago I watched Der Untergang. Now that was a movie that left me totally speechless.

Couple of days ago I watched Der Untergang. Now that was a movie that left me totally speechless.

Because it was good?

(I thought it was good, although I have some pointless quibbles about unimportant elements).

Yeah, it was a great movie. Bruno Ganz handled his role very well.

Ok, just got back from "The Aristocrats." That was the hardest I've laughed in so long. You need a filthy sense of humour to enjoy it, and if you're easily offended, steer clear. Even though it's just an hour and a half of people talking, it's easily the most obscene movie I've seen in my life. Holy shit is it funny though. I couldn't breathe for about half of the running time. SEE THE DAMN FILM!!!

Thanks largely to the most excellent Netflix (and too much free time) here's a list of all the movies I saw this summer (in no particular order). I'd recommend just about all of them. I'd say that Amelie was probably my favorite.

Reservoir Dogs

Pulp Fiction

Jackie Brown

Sin City

Hellboy

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II

On the Waterfront

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Snatch

Blood Simple

Barton Fink

Miller's Crossing

The Hudsucker Proxy

Fargo

The Big Lebowski

The Man Who Wasn't There

Ed Wood

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Batman

Batman Begins

Memento

Equilibrium

The Machinist

Bottle Rocket

Rushmore

The Royal Tenenbaums

The Life Aquatic

A Fistful of Dollars

For a Few Dollars More

Amelie

A Very Long Engagement

The City of Lost Children

Unforgiven

Million Dollar Baby

Melinda & Melinda

Manhattan

Annie Hall

About a Boy

Love Actually

Two Weeks Notice

Chinatown

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Kung Fu Hustle

House of Flying Dagers

Dogma

Good Will Hunting

Austin Powers

Goldfinger

Moonracker

The Pink Panther

Leon: The Professional

The Boondock Saints

This is Spinal Tap

The Graduate

I Heart Huckabees

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow

Fight Club

American History X

Broken Flowers

Lost in Translation

Garden State

Being John Malkovich

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective

The Sting

Ocean's Twelve

Maverick

Braveheart

Gladiator

Touch of Evil

The Third Man

Sullivan's Travels

It Happened One Night

LA Confidential

The Usual Suspects

Blade Runner

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Taxi Driver

Sideways

American Splendor

Before Sunrise

The Shawshank Redemption

Dead Man Walking

21 Grams

City of God

Oldboy

Brazil

12 Monkeys

I might catch some combination of The Sea Inside, Goodfellas, Maria Full of Grace, and Mystic River before heading off to college on Wednesday.

Caught "Our Man in Havana" and some of "The Third Man" on TV yesterday. Good stuff.

They don't make spy dramas like they used to.

I heard that "The Constant Gardener" is supposed to be a brilliant spy-thriller, so anybody into spy-movies should check that out. Starring Britain's one and only Ralph Fiennes in the lead. It's been compared to "The Tailor of Panama" which I thought was one of the best Pierce Brosnan movies ever! That's another modern day spy-thriller-CLASSIC right there! I also thought the Bourne movies were really great though they're clearly more action oriented.

I thought the trailer for The Constant Gardener sort of sucked... Good to hear the actual movie may in fact not.

Well, I just heard that it was supposed to be really good and a lot like "The Tailor of Panama" which I thought was excellent.

On another note, I just watched "Be Cool" and "The Ring Two".

"Be Cool" I thought was nice enough but just too much all over the place to get anywhere near "Get Shorty" which to this day remains one of my Travolta favorites. I especially liked the Rock in it, though I know a lot of people think he's a bad actor... and Uma Thurman was just gorgeous. The script was simply too weak for this movie to be any better and I am happy to hear that André 3000 managed to actually get a real part in "Four Brothers" which from watching the trailer doesn't look half bad.

"The Ring Two"... well I gotta say... first they toss out the original storyline for this convoluted piece of crap of a story in the first one, because that made way more sense?! And then they felt like they should do a sequel to explore the shallowness of the first one? Jeez... Well I liked the art direction and the shotcomposition in the first one, even though it looked like a Smashing Pumpkins video. But this is just bad. If you ever wander into a videorental and feel like you got nothing better to do cuz you watched all the other crap out there, believe me, without knowing shit about you, you got better stuff to do. Sleeping or breathing would be better... Naomi Watts proved herself as a potentially great actress in "Mullholland Drive" and I do hope that she does get actual acting parts after "King Kong"... we'll see...

Naomi Watts proved herself as a potentially great actress in "Mullholland Drive" and I do hope that she does get actual acting parts after "King Kong"... we'll see...

And 21 Grams.

And 21 Grams.

yeah I don't know, somehow that movie never really resonnated with me. Maybre I have to see it again... what really struck me with Watts was this one scene in Mullholland Drive where she plays the audition at the studio, I thought that was amazing...

I thought 21 grams was pretty awesome, the story didn't carry any special significance but the staggered plot and acting (especially Del Toro) were great. The ending monologue or whatever was wholly unecessary and ditruptive to the silent mood of the film though, they should have taken it out and named the movie something else.

I just saw Garden State.

I can understand how people would say it's great...

but seriously... I think it's pretentious hollywood garbage.

It has its moments and I like Natalie Portman and especially Peter Saarsgard who is just amazing in anything. But its pretentious shit.

I also happened to see a little movie called the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.

This is just such a weirdly funny entertaining movie with countless moments of pure bliss. I loved every single minute. God that was soooo good!

Last week I discovered an alternative video rental store a minute walk away from my house (fucking woot!). I rented:

Kops - Just what I expected: some mindless fun. Entertaining, but nothing special.

Cidade de Deus - One of those films where multiple stories of crime intertwine blah blah but it's actually really good.

Amélie - HOLY CRAP. Glorious! This film makes me sing. Why did I not see it before? I have to own it now.

Amélie - HOLY CRAP. Glorious! This film makes me sing. Why did I not see it before? I have to own it now.

No kidding. Best movie I've ever seen. Have you seen any of his other movies? I didn't like A Very Long Engagement that much, but it's a bit hard to follow, so I'm assuming I'd like it more if I were to watch it again. City of Lost Children is really weird, but quite good. Good old Ron Perlman.