SoccerDude28

Psychonauts gets its first review

Yup that's right. Play magazine gave psychonauts its first "extensive" review with a score of 9.0 and lots of praise :clap::woohoo: . They have a very nice extensive review about 5 pages long, and Psychonauts on the cover. You guys should check it out.

Does it contain spoilers?

[/Quote]

Yes a lot. I didn't even read half way through. I hate it when reviewers start "describing the game". :frusty:

how about some scans?

[/Quote]

I don't have a digital camera or a scanner handy. And even if I get one, isn't there some copyright infringement if I just scan it and post it here? If there is none, I can borrow a digital camera, take pictures of the article and put it here. Mods?

but if you want to see the cover of the magazine, Tim has it scanned on the psychonauts website:

http://www.psychonauts.com/images/PPlay405C.jpg

Maybe you don't understand the dynamics of the Idlethumbs community, we are all lechers, knee-deep in illegal activities, with no hope or desire of mending our ways. So post em poncho.

Not to put a damper on the spirits, but any article that screams "First review!" is always going to have a score tilted high.

I thought the first review was by Maxim, giving it a 3/5. Can't find the review, but I saw it reported here, about a week ago...

Yeah I'm sure Play is a little biased, given that elsewhere in the issue the Editor in Chief lists Psychonauts at the top of his most wanted upcoming games list :) But on the other hand, whatever, all media is biased (if not out of hype then out of political or other motivation).

Also after playing the hell out of the Psychonauts press demo, I agree with the guy who reviewed it for Play. The game is incredibly fun both because the gameplay is good but also because its got the crazy Schafer world that you can completely lose yourself within while playing. It's a quality title. Of course it has a couple funky quirks, flaws, bugs, etc, but... it's a good game. Not a shit one. It's not even an "awkward" game - which was one of my early and persistant fears. It flows well, doesn't piss you off because your character always walks off cliffs instead of turn around or decides to jump 2 seconds after you press the jump button or something... It, I think, succeeds at feeling like 1 part Zelda 64 + 1 part Mario 64 + 1 part Day of the Tentacle, churned through the meat grinder that is Tim's head. That's what the Play guy says, it's what Tim's been saying since the start, and I think it's a pretty spot on assessment

That said (and as we probably all suspect) Psychonauts is, in my opinion, probably not going to sell too well (probably better than Grim Fandango, but apparently that's not saying much). The thing Psychonauts has going for it -- the "Schafer effect" -- is that anybody who gets their hands on it, whether they thought they'd like it or not, instantly becomes hooked on the game and the world, and won't, in fact, give you the controller back, ever.

I think on the whole, game reviewers are going to like Psychonauts. I semi randomly predict that it's score on average will be bouncing between 7/10 and 10/10, but mostly in the high 8's-mid 9's. Whether that means it will sell well is anybody's guess.

I actually think the game will do alright. The game is recieving a ton of attention in game magazines and websites, and I mentioned the game to a few people at school and they actually already knew about it and wanted to buy it. Plus, just about all of us here are going to buy the game, and once we do, we'll tell everyone we know to buy it, and they'll love it and tell more people to buy it...

Yeah I'm sure Play is a little biased, given that elsewhere in the issue the Editor in Chief lists Psychonauts at the top of his most wanted upcoming games list :) But on the other hand, whatever, all media is biased (if not out of hype then out of political or other motivation).

Also after playing the hell out of the Psychonauts press demo, I agree with the guy who reviewed it for Play. The game is incredibly fun both because the gameplay is good but also because its got the crazy Schafer world that you can completely lose yourself within while playing. It's a quality title. Of course it has a couple funky quirks, flaws, bugs, etc, but... it's a good game. Not a shit one. It's not even an "awkward" game - which was one of my early and persistant fears. It flows well, doesn't piss you off because your character always walks off cliffs instead of turn around or decides to jump 2 seconds after you press the jump button or something... It, I think, succeeds at feeling like 1 part Zelda 64 + 1 part Mario 64 + 1 part Day of the Tentacle, churned through the meat grinder that is Tim's head. That's what the Play guy says, it's what Tim's been saying since the start, and I think it's a pretty spot on assessment

That said (and as we probably all suspect) Psychonauts is, in my opinion, probably not going to sell too well (probably better than Grim Fandango, but apparently that's not saying much). The thing Psychonauts has going for it -- the "Schafer effect" -- is that anybody who gets their hands on it, whether they thought they'd like it or not, instantly becomes hooked on the game and the world, and won't, in fact, give you the controller back, ever.

I think on the whole, game reviewers are going to like Psychonauts. I semi randomly predict that it's score on average will be bouncing between 7/10 and 10/10, but mostly in the high 8's-mid 9's. Whether that means it will sell well is anybody's guess.

You whore!

:grin:

Were the other reviews the newsletter mentioned not real reviews (4/4 from Playboy and Blender)?

What the flip are "Horlicks"?! Don't you dare poison Mr. Schafer, Mr. Kingzjester!

I read a thread on another forum with a summary of the review, they said the only negative with the game involved a spoiler.. Did the actual review get into any more detail about it than just that?

I'm glad the game is getting some good publicity so far, but I hope that they it gets to the right audience or that Majesco doesn't close its doors for Double Fine's future...

What the flip are "Horlicks"?! Don't you dare poison Mr. Schafer, Mr. Kingzjester!
A brand name for a mixture of dried, malted cereals and dried milk, used to make a beverage by mixing with milk. Horlick's was first manufactured by W. Horlick in 1883, and became popular during the 1920's. It is similar to Ovaltine.

Now why would anyone in his right mind send something like that to Tim? Or maybe this should be taken as inspiration to send him random cereals and breakfastfoods per mail?

Horlicks is actually pretty good stuff! I haven't had any in aaaages, I think I'll go get some today :shifty:

It's a hot drink that's good for drinking on rainy days or at night before you go to ved etc. I can't really describe what it tastes like but until now I didn't know it had anything to do with cereal...

It tastes like the inside of Malteasers. It's good stuff. Especially when he breaks the seal and it blows up in his face! Ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA hee HA HA HA hee hee Ha ha haHAHA!

Man, I haven't updated the Church of Tim Williams in AGES. God bless those guys at Planet Moon!

I read the review and it didn't really contain any super strong negatives, or anything super spoilerific. I'll look through it again just in case.

It tastes like the inside of Malteasers. It's good stuff. Especially when he breaks the seal and it blows up in his face! Ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA hee HA HA HA hee hee Ha ha haHAHA!

Since those who don't know what Horlicks are fall into the same group of people who don't know what Malteasers are (group: U.S. residents), they're like Whoppers.

I was going to say, the candy, not the Burger King sandwich, but instead I thought I'd just include a link to a page about the candy. Still, someone had to be a smartass. :oldman:

I was going to say, the candy, not the Burger King sandwich, but instead I thought I'd just include a link to a page about the candy. Still, someone had to be a smartass. :oldman:

But of course. This is the Internet after all. :grin: