miffy495

Where's the DS love?

I realize that it isn't out in Europe yet, but how many others here have a Nintendo DS? I just need to vent about the severe lack of games. Everything that I've played is fantastic (Feel the Magic, Mario 64, WarioWare, Metroid demo) but I've finished them all entirely (even unlocked every goddamned outfit in FTM) and there's nothing else worth looking at until Rayman at the end of the month, and then after that, Viewtiful Joe and full version Metroid in August. It hurts because I love my DS so much, but can't find a use for it... :frusty:

Nintendo Europe had a special offer, a very limited VIP DS edition, I was one of the lucky ones who had it, and I got it almost a month before it's official release date...

The full version of Metroid is out in August? I could swear it was coming by the end of this month!

I only have Super Mario 64 DS (full), and Wario Ware and Metroid (demos)...

I'm definetely buying Wario Ware on it's official release date and also Project Rub (isn't that the European name for "Feel the Magic"?) and I'm not sure I'll buy anything else util Metroid is out...

According to play.com where getting Mario Kart, Metroid and Animal Crossing for DS on the 25! :erm:

My big question is... When will they activate the WiFI by the internet option?

about the wifi ... apparently they're going to talk about their online plan either at the gdc or at e3 ... so im willing to bet at one of those times.

as for games, i dont have a ds (yet), but ive been looking forward to Yoshi Touch and Go! for ages, and now that its out, it seems that people absolutely love it! That might be worth picking up ...

SiN

I ordered my Nintendo DS this morning. (I'm in Europe.) I'll probably buy Warioware and Mario 64. When I'm done with those, I'll buy Feel the Magic/Project Rub and maaaaybe Zoo Keeper.

I think the slightly corny industrial design and the low number of games at the moment are the only things going against the DS. I think in the long run people will realize it actually offers unique games that aren't possible or even wanted on the PSP. I'm merrily anticipating Another Code, Electroplankton, Age of Empires DS, Caduceus, Animal Crossing, FF: Crystal Chronicles, Lost in Blue, Metroid Prime: Hunters and Puppy Times (because it's widely known that cute puppies get you chicks). Oh, and of course the new Super Mario Bros for the DS, which oughta be good.

don't forget meteos either ... at first it looked like a typical puzzler that i wasn't gonna enjoy, but having seen a couple of videos of it in action it looking amazing!

SiN

I pretty much have my mind set on getting a DS now. The potential for some original games to come along is too great. Screw the PSP, yes it has a nice big screen and can play films blah blah. I don't really care, I'm after a gaming device more than a multimedia tool.

I hope they do a good sonic DS game. Something that isn't simply masturbating the screen to make sonic run fast enough. :gaming:

I want one of these DS thingies, but they're going to be out of my price range initially. Much like every console ever :frusty:...

Booyah! It's out! Tomorrow I'm getting Project Rub and Wario Ware, I'm not so sure about the thrid one, maybe Polarium or Pokémon Dash? Any suggestions? :erm:

EDIT: If I can find Atari Retro Classics I'm gonna get that for sure!

The DS has been out here for a week, but nobody seems to be buying it... sorry, I'm going for the PSP...

HA - the world will laugh at you in 2 years.... (maybe)

My feeling is that the ds is getting a lot of attention because it is actually doing something new and great - while psp is getting attention because it has a big screen... (duh).... it might be sexier and all that - but i feel the ds might rock while the psp will swing slow... or something.... well fuck this analyzis - I just think the ds is way cooler....

The DS has been out here for a week, but nobody seems to be buying it...

Same here, pretty much. I'm still amazed by the fact that it's been out in New Zealand, for about two weeks already. Like, before half the world, apparently. I remember stores were doing a midnight launch thing when it was released, which is kind of sad in retrospect because I don't think anyone bought one. Even a friend of mine who is incredibly into Nintendo is passing it over for the PSP.

Maybe I'll get a DS for my birthday.

Right now though, my life has been possessed by WoW - LOL

You're right about one thing...

Way too many people say that Nintendo is for kiddies and "gay"mers...

Guys, just becuase a game doesn't have blood, boobs and bazookas doesn't make a "girly" game! Nintendo is living proof that we don't need these in a game to be fun, and that's why they will be here for a long time...

There were here since the begining, and they aren't leaving! And Nintendo is trying to get rid of their kiddie image... Project Rub anyone? It's from Sega, I know, but it's a DS only game...

IMHO, it's seems the people who say that prefer gorefest over non-violent games are more inmature than the people they claim to be "f4gg0ty g4ym3rz" for playing a game with no blood in it...

It's a bit of a clash of two different gaming style, those who only care for "cool" powerful game that not innovative at all, and mainstream, who will buy the PSP, and those who go for gameplay and innovation who will prefer the DS...

Unfortunately the mainstream and "graphic gaga" gemers outnumber the ones who only care for gameplay...

Things haven't changes much in 20 years, now instead of having Nintedo VS. Sega, we have Nintendo VS. Sony VS. Micorsoft, and instead of saying "Nintendo sucks" they say "N1nt3nd0 su><0rz!!!11111" :oldman:

Right now, I'm off to get my DS games, I don't give a :cens0r: if anyone says I'm childish for having one... :fart::fart::fart:

Nya nya nya nya nya! I got a DS! :deranged:

The psp is the chav's handheld

Agreed it was the same 'I'll wait for a PS2' attitude that killed the Dreamcast, one of the best consoles I ever played.

Don't let it happen to the DS!

What the hell, again with the "Nintendo will probably fail" schtick? Is hating Nintendo some kind of requirement for loving it?

The DS is selling three or four times the number of units as the PSP. Yeah, I bet they'll fail.

This reminds me of when the DS came out and everyone was like "LOL HAHAHA TWO SCREENS HILARIOUS, I'll get my Photoshop and make a picture ROFL!" I was skeptical too, but it seemed the Nintendo "fans" had already proclaimed the thing a disaster of Virtual Boy proportions before we even knew anything about it. And now that it's actually selling pretty well, people are still expecting it to fail.

Isn't there a place for both the DS and the PSP on the marketplace? Why do people constantly have to rip on Nintendo purely based on anecdotal evidence, when they're actually doing just fine?

P.S. Saying the PSP is cooler to kids because it has got Square Enix games is possibly the wrongest thing ever, as Square Enix has announced six games for the DS, and announced no games on the PSP (just their next movie on UMD). Also, Mistwalker Studios of former Square Enix fame are doing a strategy game for the DS. Clearly, PSP will be playing the big Square Enix card :shifty:

P.P.S. I don't hate the PSP. I think it's a slick, nice device, and I'm looking forward to Infected and Advent Shadow. I just don't think the platform will be as awesome as the DS in the long term. I'm not going to buy it for that reason... one new handheld (that also plays GBA games) is more than enough.

Well I just went into the store nearest my work and pre ordered my DS plus project rub and wario ware. I pick them up tomorrow.

I can't really afford it but I got worked up about getting one this morning and ecided it would probably be for the best. My train journeys next week will probably go alot quicker :woohoo:

Okay, the Nintendo makes you gay thing is retarded. That stigma exists and it shouldn't. But the "Nintendo will fail at everything, ever" attitude is one you must not buy into. A lot of people have that attitude for the wrong reason, so be skeptical whenever someone starts talking like that.

Also I think we can agree that nearly all game store clerks accross the globe are idiots.

Nick: are you getting your DS in the morning or after work? I'm thinking of getting my preorder tomorrow morning, hoping that my boss will think of me playing on the DS all day as "research". :shifty:

I'll be picking it up before I go into work, another guy is getting one this evening plus my boss has one already so I expect lunch will be spent messing about with them.

Everyone knows that I can't be expected to wait until after work to pick it up hehe.

The nice thing about getting the pre order from game was that I got a leaflet of money off vouchers so when I go and buy the necessary things such as screen protectors etc. I will be able to get them cheap :)

I'm gonna get a DS.

But not tomorrow, most likely during summer, I've got no rush to buy anything right now.

There so much strange shit going on in this thread.

This reminds me of one certain id software thing that exists in the communities around the web.

:shifty: *bashing id makes one look kewl&hip.*

:shifty: *bashing nintendo makes one look kewl&hip.*

The DS is a joke. :hmph:

Nintendo created a product nobody asked for, and developers have no clue what to do with the thing.

Hardware sales spiked because people thought they were buying a second generation GBA. When the *real* second generation GBA ships, the DS will be left behind completely.

I'm totally down on alternative input devices in general (bongos? cameras? feh) but the DS is just a stupid, stupid idea. The number of games that can honestly benefit from two screens and a touch pad is extremely low, so you wind up with pointless additions to games that shouldn't have it in the first place.

Does anyone *really* think drawing symbols to cast spells is a good addition to Castlevania? Did anyone *really* ask for a racing game where you have to rub back and forth to gain speed? The only game to really benefit from the DS is WarioWare.

Nintendo's digging their own grave. While they talk about how the industry is stagnating, other companies are doing better than ever.

Thats a load of bullshit. There are many genres that can benifit from first degree control. The touchpad acts similarly to a mouse, making all manner of genres that were pc specific work extremely well on the handheld, such as RTS, Point and Click Adventure, and FPS (I know, I know, FPS aren't only on PCs, just best). Plus, adding a "weird" control scheme is sure to attract the attention of creative developers who will for sure put it to use in creative ways.