brendonsmall

[Released] Beppo's Hole (in one golf)

Did some more tweaking to the chip in and pin collision code. Turns out it was not working for high bounces that should have hit the top of the pin. That's because I was not comparing flattened "XZ" vectors for distance> Whoops.

Anyway, here is a peak behind the curtain at the ole golf sausage factory, showing how some fake 2D/3D stuff works in the game. The purple line is the 3D representation of the pin height, and the middle frame is right after the bounce.

GolfSausageFactory.thumb.jpg.f6e2c4f92e9da037c3c22b982288c1d9.jpg

Now that it's working to varying degrees, I can add some sounds for different events like a "near miss over the top" vs. "pin collision" vs. "chip in bounce". Fun!

About 6000 lines of code later, and I'm going to call this game feature complete.

I realize it's not really "2 weeks", but I want to keep tinkering, playtesting, etc. with some polish. Might have some surprises in store in a "mid-jam power move" with some collaborators, too :)

Here is some goofy polish that I enjoy more than I reasonably should: Animated pin flag that animates faster the faster the wind goes :D

GolfWIP09.gif.42b3ceaaae35ba5f537d9771f1da8519.gif

23 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

Thanks y'all

@RKSanders I implemented pin shots (only for pin, no trees probably in time for jam). The resulting combination of other game content resulted in this moment:

Nice,  impressive shot, and that laugh at the end, haha.  Does that only happen with a hole in one? Also the wind and flag really make it come alive!

6 hours ago, RKSanders said:

Nice,  impressive shot, and that laugh at the end, haha.  Does that only happen with a hole in one? Also the wind and flag really make it come alive!

Hah, thanks! Yes, that particular one is reserved for a hole in one. I plan to have other equally good sounds for all the other golf events (birdie, bogey, etc.) as well as ball lie (fairway, green, etc.)

Thought I'd share this because it made me laugh. That big jam code comment energy.

BigJamEnergy.jpg.75d274084186b481743ac41edcae1b70.jpg

(Context: Getting a sound to play when I switch scenes and not wanting to bother with another persistent object to play the sound for me, so I recycled one.)

Okay so really for real basically done. Playtesting the "gold build", and will update a couple art/sound assets when I get them.

I've also added a "save screenshot" button for the end of the round scorecard. It is my alternative to a leaderboard for now:

Score_2020_1_9_3_20_45_59.thumb.png.e8c2ce4ed663285ab544b8926f067c65.png

(the winds on hole 8 really knocked me around this time :D)

Wow! Looking so good. I enjoy a good golf game, so I'm looking forward to playing.

Love that Shareware screen!

8 hours ago, jan said:

The DOS/Shareware aesthetic in this is excellent, I'm excited to play it!

I definitely leaned into this vibe for sure. I tried to make it a real shareware game, in a sense. The features listed in the fake shareware order page are in the list of features I cut for the jam version. So at least the spirit of the "pro tour edition" lives in my mind and a text TODO file :) 

I'm excited to see what y'all think of it.

Trying to set some baseline scores. Super Expert Pro provides a nice challenge. Trying to get under par score is proving difficult which is great.

Spoiler

Score_2020_1_14_13_11_25_719.thumb.png.136cc562bfe699cc3217009056eef615.png

A new challenger (-1):

Spoiler

Score_2020_1_16_22_5_14_826.thumb.png.32974ef9551fa594c6b1c66bc7c75d7e.png

Edited by brendonsmall
Added new high score on Super Expert Pro

That order form! :tup:

I'm running into a bug though whenever I'm starting the game, no matter the settings.

golf.jpg

Edit: Looks like it's just the course never loading (or at the wrong position, see distance?), I can shoot and get commentary (out of bounds).

Hmmm, clicking 'Let's Play Golf' is not doing anything (other than playing the fantastic professional announcer voices) for me.

Well the game works for me and it's pretty great! I guess what I needed the most to enjoy golf is Jake and Chris saying like four different phrases over and over. Anyway my crowning achievement was getting an eagle (which I think is good?!) on the last hole.

Also I saved a screenshot but I have no idea where it is so I can't post my score. Rest assured it is awful though.

16 hours ago, atte said:

Hmmm, clicking 'Let's Play Golf' is not doing anything (other than playing the fantastic professional announcer voices) for me.

13 hours ago, Henke said:

Same for me. :/ 

Output_log attached, in case that's of any use.

output_log.txt

Ooooh no. Looks like it's having trouble parsing floats from the data files. What OS and version are you guys using?

4 hours ago, mike said:

Well the game works for me and it's pretty great! I guess what I needed the most to enjoy golf is Jake and Chris saying like four different phrases over and over. Anyway my crowning achievement was getting an eagle (which I think is good?!) on the last hole.

Also I saved a screenshot but I have no idea where it is so I can't post my score. Rest assured it is awful though.

Awesome! Thanks for playing. The screenshots are saved in [GAME DIR]\Beppos Hole in One Golf_Data\StreamingAssets\GolfScoreScreenshots\

25 minutes ago, brendonsmall said:

Ooooh no. Looks like it's having trouble parsing floats from the data files. What OS and version are you guys using?

Windows 10 Home 1903

12 minutes ago, atte said:

Windows 10 Home 1903

Weird question, but what region of the world and/or language is your system set to?

Asking because this is almost surely a "number format region" issue. I think I'm just going to hack in some binaryformatter serialization stuff to deal with it, unless I can figure out a system-agnostic string format :\

1 hour ago, brendonsmall said:

Weird question, but what region of the world and/or language is your system set to?

Asking because this is almost surely a "number format region" issue. I think I'm just going to hack in some binaryformatter serialization stuff to deal with it, unless I can figure out a system-agnostic string format :\

Windows 10 Home German for me.

I tried re-saving the text files which the courses are loaded from with different formats but didn't manage to fix it that way.

6 minutes ago, Sloane said:

Windows 10 Home German for me.

I tried re-saving the text files which the courses are loaded from with different formats but didn't manage to fix it that way.

Okay, cool thanks for confirming! I've hacked in some binary file I/O and tested and it still works here, so hopefully that will fix the float parsing issues on your end. Will update when I post the new build (will be shortly!) :)