brendonsmall

[Released] Beppo's Hole (in one golf)

2 hours ago, brendonsmall said:

Weird question, but what region of the world and/or language is your system set to?

Asking because this is almost surely a "number format region" issue. I think I'm just going to hack in some binaryformatter serialization stuff to deal with it, unless I can figure out a system-agnostic string format :\

Ooooh yes, I remember some other game having this issue as well. I'm using Swedish keyboard.

edit: ok yeah, the new version works! :)

34 minutes ago, Henke said:

Ooooh yes, I remember some other game having this issue as well. I'm using Swedish keyboard.

edit: ok yeah, the new version works! :)

Thanks for confirming! :D

Okay, this is great! Really captures the DOS vibe, fun to play, and the commentary is hilarious.

One small issue I maybe encountered is that the input lag seems pretty high? I’m not sure whether that’s a bug or a feature or I am just imagining it though. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Sloane said:

One small issue I maybe encountered is that the input lag seems pretty high? I’m not sure whether that’s a bug or a feature or I am just imagining it though. :lol:

I was chasing down an issue with that shot meter having some lag and screen-tearing issues, but didn't quite solve it. If it helps, you can use the space bar to do the shots, too. It's on the list for bug fixes for a future release though, to be sure :) Thanks for playing!

Ok this is a remarkably solid golf game. The gameplay is tight and I love the commentary. :D

Beppo_Score_2020_1_21_11_54_41_374.png?r

My first round. I didn't quite get a good grip on the controls until hole 2.

edit: played another round, on Intermediate and got a score of +1, just below Par!

Suggestions:

-change clubs with up/down arrows.

-when putting there should be a minimum distance that the ball will always go, even if you just double-tap the shoot button because you're really close to the hole and don't wanna over-do it.

-add 9 more holes and release it on Steam. I'll definitely buy it! The Thumbs would probably be cool with lending their voices/likeness to the game if you asked nicely.

4 hours ago, Henke said:

add 9 more holes and release it on Steam. I'll definitely buy it! The Thumbs would probably be cool with lending their voices/likeness to the game if you asked nicely.

I wouldn’t mind at all. 

My suggestion for if this was to be packaged up as a released commercial game: Include a CRT shader with scanlines and a little bulge to it, so people understand it’s meant to be a play on a DOS game. 

6 hours ago, Sloane said:

Oh, space bar does work much better!

Excellent :)

5 hours ago, Henke said:

Ok this is a remarkably solid golf game. The gameplay is tight and I love the commentary. :D

My first round. I didn't quite get a good grip on the controls until hole 2.

edit: played another round, on Intermediate and got a score of +1, just below Par!

Suggestions:

-change clubs with up/down arrows.

-when putting there should be a minimum distance that the ball will always go, even if you just double-tap the shoot button because you're really close to the hole and don't wanna over-do it.

-add 9 more holes and release it on Steam. I'll definitely buy it! The Thumbs would probably be cool with lending their voices/likeness to the game if you asked nicely.

Great suggestions, thank you!

1 hour ago, Jake said:

I wouldn’t mind at all. 

My suggestion for if this was to be packaged up as a released commercial game: Include a CRT shader with scanlines and a little bulge to it, so people understand it’s meant to be a play on a DOS game. 

Awesome! 

CRT scanline shader is a great idea, too! Might even chuck this into a render texture and map it  to a very subtle unintrusive 3D monitor with bezel (available in "new white" and "old yellow") 

Yep, the new version works fine.

The mood and style is a very delicious mix of sincerity with a hint of strangeness.

Two small additions that came to mind while playing.
W and D for aiming also.
View moving, so you could admire the course ahead even after the start.

1 hour ago, atte said:

Yep, the new version works fine.

The mood and style is a very delicious mix of sincerity with a hint of strangeness.

Two small additions that came to mind while playing.
W and D for aiming also.
View moving, so you could admire the course ahead even after the start.

Thanks for playing! :D

Added W+D aiming to feature backlog and already have some cool camera panning in the works, too. Great feedback, thanks :)

21 hours ago, Henke said:

Yea that was my last wizard jam game. I had the same problem parsing floats without region formatting. I didn’t know it was even a thing. The lesson I learned was always make my own forwarding method when using other libraries so I don’t have to hunt through the whole project replacing stuff.

2 hours ago, RKSanders said:

Yea that was my last wizard jam game. I had the same problem parsing floats without region formatting. I didn’t know it was even a thing. The lesson I learned was always make my own forwarding method when using other libraries so I don’t have to hunt through the whole project replacing stuff.

Yeah it's a weird one that the default is region-specific. I don't get why anyone would ever want that as the default. Seems like an odd design choice by microsoft or whoever :\ 

Nice. I did give it another go with the new update but I think I only got +4 or so.

Oh, one small last change I thought of: pressing "continue" with spacebar, that way the whole round would be playable with keyboard.

22 hours ago, Henke said:

Oh, one small last change I thought of: pressing "continue" with spacebar, that way the whole round would be playable with keyboard.

Definitely on the short list! Thanks for the suggestion.

Updated in v1.0.4! :)

Very good!

That's a lot of RAM though, please post autoexec.bat and config.sys settings.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:21 PM, Sloane said:

Very good!

That's a lot of RAM though, please post autoexec.bat and config.sys settings.

No problem. May need to tweak them depending on your RAM timings. I got my computer from the back room of a radio shack, so I can't say how mainstream the components are, really.

autoexec.bat

config.sys