Sign in to follow this  
Teljoor

[Dev Log] Unmasking the Brain Burglar

Time for another wizard jam!

What I want to do this time is create a sort of puzzle game where the puzzle is the Brain Burglar's mask. You'll basically be pulling and prodding different parts of the face to reveal new parts and interactions and finally find the zipper to tear off the mask and move on to the next disguise. It is sort of inspired by the interrogations in the Ace Attorney game series and the game GNOG  (though I am basing that on just the trailer, since I haven't yet had a chance to play it).

I included limited facial animations with separate features in some of my previous games and I hope I can go a lot further with that here. So far I have ideas for four different phases/faces and at least three should hopefully make it in, with more if time allows.

I will be reusing and extending the dialogue system I made for my wizard jam 6 game, The Rooster's Stupid Secret. I am also planning to reuse some of the detective characters from that game so I can quickly set up the premise, so it will be sort of a sequel. I hope to have the first two faces with all interactions and script more or less done by next weekend.

Here is a gif of the first face I'm working on. The interactions are pretty basic right now, but hopefully I'll be able to include some real puzzles in later faces.

wizjam8_1.gif.bfe7380667674965b589fbc1062f6f2d.gif

I am using Unity again. It would probably work in 2D, but I am working in 3D with an orthographic camera since that's what I am used to.

wizjam8_2.gif.6271b7f43e67a5cbbc8eb43a69800993.gif

Really neat idea and the gameplay seems nice and "tactile"! 

Oh god... that camera shift...