Nappi

[Released] häx_processer

Wow, what a brilliant puzzle game. I processed all häxes :D

A few feedback items, just small things I ran into that were confusin (spoiler tags just in case):

Spoiler

The command output sometimes seemed like I should wait (e.g. "Enhancing...") so it took a second to realize it was done. Some kind of "done." newline confirmation might help here?

The enhance command was not clear at first. I didn't realize it was a percentage/decimal rather than a level. So when typing an invalid command "enhance a -1", the command just highlighted itself and became hard to read, but it wasn't clear why. The same thing seemed to happen if I tried to enhance to the level the object was already at (e.g. "enhance a 1").

Aside from these small hiccups I really enjoyed playing this game! It's so simple, but so fun. Nicely done :)

Thanks for playing!

brendonsmall: Good points. I meant to add the "Done." text but I ran out of time and energy. Also, oops, I was totally supposed to do some basic validity checking with the inputs, but simply forgot to. :)

I agree with others, this is really good. I like the presentation a lot - the rhythmic nature of the game combined with those sound effects create a cool, sparse vibe.

Gameplay is fun too. The fact that some objects can't be scaled and rotated to match the target position exactly does aggravate a bit, though. And I'm conflicted as to whether I want a visible grid or not. On the one hand, it feels finnicky without it. On the other hand, having it might be missing the point. I feel like at times the move command was a bit inconsistent, as if it was being affected by an object's rotation and scale - a grid would help with that.

Quibbles aside, this is very fun and I'd gladly play more of it.

Yeah this was great. Good work, Nappi!

Only stumbling block I had was working out how to use the enhance command. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't accept negative values, before I realized I had to use 0.X to scale down.

Thanks y'all!

pdotjpg: I selected the shapes so that they could be matched with the target shape exactly, but in some cases it will be very tricky in practice, since you have to to figure out the correct enhance level or move non-integer units to some direction. I was also debating with myself whether to have the grid or not, but decided to leave it out, because I get a weird satisfaction from using multiple commands to gradually move closer to the target. The axis indicator in the guide that you can toggle actually tells you the length of one unit of movement, but no one will probably figure that out on their own. The movement should not be affected by enhance level or rotation but I will check if there is a bug somewhere.

Henke: Yeah, the enhance command is not self-explanatory. I may work on clearing that up a bit when I have the energy to get back to it.

On 6/26/2018 at 12:05 PM, brendonsmall said:

Wow, what a brilliant puzzle game. I processed all häxes :D

A few feedback items, just small things I ran into that were confusin (spoiler tags just in case):

Hide contents

I didn't realize it was a percentage/decimal rather than a level. So when typing an invalid command "enhance a -1", the command just highlighted itself and became hard to read, but it wasn't clear why.

OOOOOHHHHH. Yea I was hoping for a dehance command.

Otherwise really nice presentation. Loved the contextual coloring of the commands. Maybe even go full IDE and have autocomplete commands on enter. Cool puzzle game.

Thanks!

There is a tab autocomplete, and up selects the previous command. I'm beginning to realize that I should have given some instructions (at least on the itch.io page). :)

I agree with everyone who said this is good. I like especially small details like this:

On 6/27/2018 at 6:52 PM, Nappi said:

There is a tab autocomplete, and up selects the previous command. 

I haven't processed all häxes yet, so I will likely return to it soon! :tup:

I really enjoyed it.

This feels super polished, like a complete package.

I like that you didn't put any music in, the sound effects are super neat.

Its also super cool how it accepts messy answers.

Great job!

Thank you all! 

In case anyone tried to play the game on Mac or Linux and couldn't, I updated the game yesterday. Hopefully those work better now.

This may be my favorite game from this year's jam! 

(here's a hyperlink directly to the part where I play the game)

As I mentioned at length in the slack channel, this is super reminiscent of what I do at my work sometimes, so it was fun to see it codified into a pretty winning game. Thank you! 

Thank you very much for playing and streaming! Your training in data plotting has clearly paid off! 

It was really interesting and helpful to watch you play through the levels. For example, it confirmed my suspicion that the second to last level is pretty annoying: you get the correct shape by rotating by 45 degrees around both axis (in correct order) and enhancing by two, but if you can't guess the sequence or the values it can take really long. I was hoping to play more with 3D geometry, similar to the last level, but simply ran out of time and energy.

This was very creative and fun. I didn't have any problems with it and didn't get stuck. Too much Blade Runner I guess.