Sign in to follow this  
mikemariano

Artifact - The Dota Card Game

Next year Valve will release...a game!

Do you like Collectible Card Games? Do you like Dota? Do you like having aggressive behavioral analytics run on you at all times? Then Artifact is for you!

I don't see a site yet. Are there any details out there? (There are none in the trailer.)

I'm excited to see any sort of game development at all at Valve; we'll see if this actually comes out next year!

I'll play it as a Dota/Valve fan, but I can't say I'm super excited if it's going to end up anything like Hearthstone. Maybe if it's closer to MTG, but I don't really see that happening for some reason.

Shout out to Brad Muir. He did what so many others have failed. He left for Valve and actually made a game that is being released.

I'm into the idea of a DOTA card game, but obviously we'll see how it actually plays. If it is just a Hearthstone/MtG clone I will lose interest fast.

Will this be an actual _TRADING_ card game??

It's the game Brad Muir's been developing since he joined Valve

The only thing that interests me about this project is that it's developed by Brad Muir. But since it's a card game, I'm not interested in the game itself.

It's rare for me to interested in card games, unless exceptional (or unless they have a superb single player campaign - Hands of Fate 2 get at me!!!), so... Cool, but probably don't care much?

That said, Duelyst is fucking rad. I wish I had people locally to play Ashes with me.

So I'll give it a shot, but... neat for people who are into this sort of thing!!

When I first heard about this I for some reason thought it was a physical card game and convinced myself it might actually be pretty cool. Then I realized it was obviously going to be a hearthstone and got much less excited. Then I heard Brad Muir was making it so now I'm cautiously optimistic again.

I am pretty excited for it. I have been playing Heartstone while watching the International, but its not a very interesting game for a new player. I'd rather play a dota card game!

On 8/9/2017 at 9:49 AM, TychoCelchuuu said:

Best comment I've seen so far: someone saying that Valve should've named the game "Bloodstone."

haha!

Artifact is definitely the worst name. >->

It's not a great name. They said they won't mention this again at TI, maybe more info after TI is over?

Well it's Valve, so they'll either quietly release everything you could possibly want to know about the game 2 weeks before release, or else they will forget that they were working on this game and we'll never hear about it again.

The tournament this weekend was very fun to watch, I thought.

I hope they take a queue from Magic Arena and add more cool little bespoke animations. They already have a ton of cute voice lines and effects, so I'm expecting some good stuff.