Jake

Important If True 13: "Veggie" Panino and the Nightmare Puzzler

Sneezing due to allergies is the worst.  It generally does nothing to help relieve you and usually just results in a spray of mucus and spit onto everything else.  At least that's my experience.

This further Cars talk makes me want to see the licensed game of Cars made by Yoko Taro, creator of Nier Automata.

As a child I learned of photic sneezing from the children's television show Pete & Pete. Since seeing that episode approximately age 8 or 9 I have made use of it over the years, and have found artificial light works for me as well!

anyone else watch that show growing up? One of the best kids shows ever. 

On 5/12/2017 at 5:56 PM, Chris said:

I have never had allergies of any sort; that must contribute to my enjoyment of sneezing. It's a purely cathartic event for me. Sometimes I sneeze when I'm sick, but even then, it's a welcome relief, because generally speaking if I'm congested, the few seconds after I sneeze will be the only moments my sinuses are clear before they get all clogged up again. Sneezing for me is only ever good.

I mean, it makes sense. I like sneezing too because it feels good, but I also hate when I have sneezing fits where I can't stop.

It's sorta like those people who have mysterious fits of sexual arousal and orgasm constantly to the point where it's painful and debilitating.

Toothbrush Trivia Time:

Y'all introduced me to Quip. I used your URL for the refill discount (thanks) and quite like the tool. Chris said that thanks to the refills, our bristles won't be "frayed, flayed or pooched". In fact, they're supposed to be frayed, though I can't speak to flayed or pooched. Ben Krasnow of Applied Science (and Valve, Google, et al.) took some neat before/after images of new and used toothbrushes using his own scanning electron microscope. He explained toward the end of the video that the extra surface area of the new/frayed bristles more effectively wipes plaque from your teeth. He also imaged the abrasive media in his toothpaste and noted that it was equivalent to 6-800 grit sandpaper.

Edited by Jambe
the Bolton of Bristlage

3 hours ago, Jambe said:

Toothbrush Trivia Time:

Y'all introduced me to Quip. I used your URL for the refill discount (thanks) and quite like the tool. Chris said that thanks to the refills, our bristles won't be "frayed, flayed or pooched". In fact, they're supposed to be frayed, though I can't speak to frayed or pooched. Ben Krasnow of Applied Science (and Valve, Google, et al.) took some neat before/after images of new and used toothbrushes using his own scanning electron microscope. He explained toward the end of the video that the extra surface area of the new/frayed bristles more effectively wipes plaque from your teeth. He also imaged the abrasive media in his toothpaste and noted that it was equivalent to 6-800 grit sandpaper.

Fascinating! Thanks.

I got a non-Quip electric toothbrush through happenstance a while back, and I had no idea why it would pulse three times at approximate 30-second intervals and then turn itself off until I heard the Quip ad read and put two and two together. So thanks for informing me about the features of my own dang toothbrush. Also thanks Jambe for making me feel better about probably not being able to replace its heads as frequently as I'm supposed to.

2 minutes ago, Problem Machine said:

I got a non-Quip electric toothbrush through happenstance a while back, and I had no idea why it would pulse three times at approximate 30-second intervals and then turn itself off until I heard the Quip ad read and put two and two together. So thanks for informing me about the features of my own dang toothbrush. Also thanks Jambe for making me feel better about probably not being able to replace its heads as frequently as I'm supposed to.

I first got an electric toothbrush four years ago and it took me almost six months to figure out that I didn't need to return it for randomly and briefly losing power every half-minute or so. I looked and it only mentions the purpose for the pulsing deep in the tiny quadruple-folded manual, so I don't feel bad.

10 minutes ago, Problem Machine said:

I think that video actually suggests you SHOULD replace it as frequently as you're supposed to! Over time the bristles get polished down into smooth tubes, which are less effective at actually scraping plaque off your teeth as new bristles, which are (counter-intuitively) intentionally more frayed.

Oh, the second frayed in my first post should've been "flayed". A naked bristle's ineffective, but a flayed one should be done?

... apologies.

And yes, the takeaway is that one ought to frequently replace one's toothbrushes/brush-heads, since the bristles are deliberately manufactured with frays, pits, and spindly bits so as to have more surface area with which to wipe away your tooth-bugs. The frays get worn off pretty quickly, though, since toothpaste has polishing media (fine sand) in it, hence the recommendation to replace often. It's like using a mop with the usual coarse string/yarn attached vs, I dunno, spaghetti.

13 hours ago, Jambe said:

A naked bristle's ineffective, but a flayed one should be done?

And the flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true.

Late bump: Just listening to this episode now, but what Jordan wrote in about the dream with the shattered 3D tetris pieces, and being 100% convinced there was a bomb sounds kind of a lot like psychosis. It's possible he had drug-induced psychosis, and that would fit with having a similar experience repeated again.

Definitely would not recommend taking Jake's advice to practice and get good, because if it is psychosis it tends to get worse the more times you have it.

I don't mean to be rude in asking this, but do you have any expertise or experience to back up that potential diagnosis?

One of my German colleagues at work has that sneezing that Chris was talking about. When it was cloudy he never was sneezing outside, but through all these years working together always when we are walking outside to lunch on sunny weather he somewhat hilariously (to me) starts uncontrollably sneezing. He also can't stop until we get back inside.