Sign in to follow this  
Badfinger

DOOM

DOOM 2016 has released to what feels like a lack of fanfare due to a subpar multiplayer beta. No reviews are in, but first impressions seem largely positive about the direction the game takes. I'm being swept away in nostalgia and Doomguy.

Talk about your DOOM here.

The multiplayer was such full of shit that I almost gave up on the whole game. The single player is looking better in the trailers and gameplay clips. I might get it when it's 5€ in Steam.

I never finished Doom 3 because it was simply too jump-scary. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this game seems to rely more on gore and heavy gunplay than building up and scaring you. I remember Doom 3 taking its time in the intro, with like an hour of exposition before you even fired your first shot, and it seems this new Doom just goes into full action mode from the get go - at least, that's the impression I got from a stream I watched. Like the poster above me says, I might pick this up on a sale... if it's not too scary.

The Giant Bomb Quick Look makes it seem completely stupid in the best way. I still sporadically play about a dozen hours of Doom/Doom 2 a month, and even though I don't think I'll ever own a machine that can run it I'm glad that those games' stick and move philosophy has been maintained to some extent.

Yeah, it's much more towards the classic run-and-gun. You don't quite move at the million miles per hour of the original, but it's still pretty quick, and the mantling enables some much more vertical area design that's fun to jump and climb around in while rattling off gunfire.

Solid tags.

Game looks like good proper DOOM fun. My only complaint is regarding the enemy design. The monsters just aren't very intimidating, are they?

There's a great video from polygon where it looks like the person playing it has never touched an FPS game before. Quite amusing.

Man, the singleplayer in this is really good! If you're confident I'd recommend turning the difficulty up for your first playthrough.

I'm surprised how good it is. I didn't plan on buying it but the Giant Bomb quicklook sold me on the game. It plays a lot like classic Doom, not just being fast paced but also having to dodge fireballs and avoid enemy attacks in a way that's more interesting than just running backwards while shooting. And like the quicklook shows, it's the right level of dumb. It still has the goofy 90s metal tone that the first two games had.

Stopped that quick look seven minutes in. I'm going to miss the zeitgeist(busy with Offworld and Hitman now) but Man I'm in for some DOOM later this year.

That multiplayer BETA did the game no favours. However, after talking to a bunch of different people - it sounds like it is going to be a hell of a lot of fun.

Can't wait to get my hands on it in the coming months!

I'm almost finished the campaign. It's definitely Wolfenstein-length, your 8-12 hour variety game, plus additional poking around for all kinds of fun secrets. Not just a one long sitting rollercoaster.

I liked Wolfenstein quite a bit, but once I was done it was a closed book. This is a game I am almost certain I will play again on a harder difficulty, or (maybe easier!) at least to see a different tech route for powerups and to poke around and find the secrets I inevitably missed the first time around. It does allow you to flat go through and do mission select.

I love the music in this game so much.

I just finished the campaign earlier this afternoon, and the final boss is great. Not what I was expecting, but exactly what it should have been.

There's a great video from polygon where it looks like the person playing it has never touched an FPS game before. Quite amusing.

I saw that and it was so aggravating the entire time I was "dude(tte?) tone down that controller sensitivity and start over because wtf"

I saw a lot of people playing this on my friends list yesterday, and I didn't even know it had come out. There's some weird anti-marketing vortex going on here.

I had ZERO interest in this game before I started seeing people play it and seeing good word of mouth. I've played a couple hours and having a great time! I don't play many shooters, and the last time I played a shooter this fast was probably Quake III. I was worried my reflexes were going to be too slow, but so far so good.

The design of getting health from melee killing guys and then using the chainsaw to get tons of ammo is super smart, and encourages the in your face action. The original Doom was tense because it was new, my reflexes sucked and it was really scary. Somehow the design of this manages to recreate that feeling.

It confounds me that they didn't give out advance copies to the press for reviews. Really curious what the thinking was behind that decision.

I've played 2 or 3 levels so far and I'm really enjoying myself so far. The flow of combat is excellent and they've worked in a great way to force you to be aggressive with the glory kills. The encounters are really well designed as well, I got to an area with two platforms in the center and enemies spawning all around, it ended with me hopping from platform to platform while taking on 2 Hell Knights. Really intense, it's a long time since a shooter has gotten my heart racing like that.

I saw that and it was so aggravating the entire time I was "dude(tte?) tone down that controller sensitivity and start over because wtf"

and because I want you all to suffer, I went and found it. 

check the pro mlg noscope action at 6:20 and tell me that's not aggravating. That's like 5 shots at an essentially stationary enemy, about as close as an enemy can be without being in melee range, resulting in zero hits. UGH

Comments are disabled on the video. I'm curious to find out if they were always like that or if they were disabled after a flood of people started mocking the player.

It confounds me that they didn't give out advance copies to the press for reviews. Really curious what the thinking was behind that decision.

The general thought I've seen from a lot of people is that it was a response to the negative reaction to the multiplayer beta. It seems like hoping it would become a breakout hit was less risky (and a lot cheaper/easier) than hyping it up to possible disappointment and backlash.

Comments are disabled on the video. I'm curious to find out if they were always like that or if they were disabled after a flood of people started mocking the player.

My understanding is you described exactly what happened. It's a shitty thing the internet does. At the same time, it's certainly in Polygon's best interests to present something compelling, interesting, or at least representative of a product in a video.

Beat the game tonight. A surprisingly long campaign! I'm kind of worn down right now, but I think that's more on me than on the game grinding on me. I wasn't thrilled with every single boss fight, but there were a bunch of good ones including new enemies. Definitely going to be dipping back into the game to find the (many) secrets I missed, and possibly to go through on a higher difficulty.

This is a weird thing to lead with, but I LOVED the end credits for the game. It captured the kinetic energy of the whole campaign in an awesome way. I liked the anti-story, I felt things about the characters that the Doom Marine very certainly didn't, we'll pretend the mulitplayer doesn't exist. Great game.