Sign in to follow this  
Vader

The Next President

22 hours ago, Twig said:

There are now people who believe Sweden is covering up "incidents".

Every time I see this thread I get mad all over again at those trump dick wads from that idle weekend thread. It ain't healthy. D:<

Don't forget the people who think Obama is running a shadow government blocks away from the whitehouse and has an army of agitators at his disposal. 

How Did We Get Into This Mess, a blog that examines discourse on the Middle Ages in today's pop culture, published a guest post that nails political commentators to the wall for their (often unconscious) attempts to describe Trump's thoroughly modern politico-nihilism as "medieval." Basically, Eric Weiskott argues that the post-Enlightenment West has a centuries-old problem in othering the real problems that come with modernity as the product of an ahistorically primitive and ignorant past. Calling Trump or slavery "medieval," when they are in fact entirely modern phenomena, is a time-honored means of excusing the secular culture of whiteness from the consequences of its ideology and actions. It's explosively good and I'll be keeping an eye out for Weiskott's book on the broader subject of the medieval/modern division of the past.

11 hours ago, Gormongous said:

that nails political commentators to the wall

Oof, sounds positively medieval.

On 2/24/2017 at 0:38 AM, Gormongous said:

a time-honored means of excusing the secular culture of whiteness from the consequences of its ideology and actions.

Did they do that in medieval times?

For those that haven't been following, the DNC just selected their new char, Tom Perez

here are a couple of articles regarding the selection process that go into a bit more detail/opinion

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-the-dnc-race-turned-into-a-group-therapy-session/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/12/why-are-no-women-running-for-dnc-chair/511061/

https://newrepublic.com/article/140847/case-tom-perez-makes-no-sense

Then there's this chestnut

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/02/25/dnc-votes-against-ban-on-registered-corporate-lobbyists-n2290623

With the republican party being in control of most state legislatures, governor ships, and holding a majority in all 3 federal branches it's more important than ever that a strong opposition party (or parties) are present, things like this indicate to me that the democratic party is simply unable to fill that role. 

9 hours ago, Ben X said:

Did they do that in medieval times?

No. Secularism and whiteness are inventions of the eighteenth-century Enlightenment, projected onto the past. There were other ideological mechanisms for explaining society's failings, namely religion, but modern society is very good at taking religion to task for its evils and shortfalls. Rationalism and cultural hegemony, not so much.

The Democratic party doesn't actually serve any general constituency. They keep seeing the public make loud, clear requests and they keep saying no. It's time for a new party, please.

26 minutes ago, Badfinger said:

The Democratic party doesn't actually serve any general constituency. They keep seeing the public make loud, clear requests and they keep saying no. It's time for a new party, please.

I agree with you, but It's hard to do that without guranteeing Republicans control for the forseeable future. 

3 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

I agree with you, but It's hard to do that without guranteeing Republicans control for the forseeable future. 

The Tea Party showed pretty demonstrably that you can completely reshape a party without it losing its name.

It feels like the Democratic establishment is scared to loose power to the extreme left, which I guess is a sensible fear given how Trump came in and captured enough of the extreme right voters to get into the White House. I guess the question is "what is worse: no party power at all, or handing the party off to a new ideology?" I wish that both the republicans and democrats would have made different choices at that crossroads, but I'd say that being a Sanders supporter.

Amazing quantity of quotes in the past week that make it clear the Democratic party literally does not understand how support gets built outside of their own action, and the result is they view it as a threat rather than embracing a movement.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:10 AM, Badfinger said:

The Tea Party showed pretty demonstrably that you can completely reshape a party without it losing its name.

Ah, I thought you had meant outside of the Democratic party - I agree with you!

9 minutes ago, YoThatLimp said:

Ah, I thought you had meant outside of the Democratic party - I agree with you!

I'd love to drop the Democratic Party like a bad habit, but my perception is the US at large doesn't accept that more than two caucuses at once can function in the government. The history of parties in America is woolly and wild, but it feels calcified now.

Why the new healthcare plan would be called Trumpcare and not Trumpscare is beyond me.

Healthcare Simulator 2017: Plan of the Year edition.

On 3/8/2017 at 4:46 PM, Twig said:

it's literally called "World's Greatest Healthcare Plan of 2017" on congress.gov

CONGRESS DOT GOV

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1275/text

This goes on the floor today, it sounds unpopular but I'm pretty jaded at this point. I worry for the 24 million Americans who are going to be in serious trouble (not to mention the rest of us who are absolutely going to be paying for it).

"It's a very good name. The best name."

They postponed the vote. 

/shrug

Hope it's true. Dunno if that means everyone else will give up. Also, just leaves me worried what he'd focus on next...