dartmonkey

Modest Tech: The NX Generation (Nintendo Switch)

I've considered my strategy: I'll create two strike teams of apostles and gurus, backed up by missionaries for the actual conversion. Before attacking, I'll try to drain some of the Aztec's inquisitors by converting a satellite city they have on a faraway island and hope the AI will fall for the ruse. Then I'll convert the requisite handful of preselected cities I need to secure the religious victory.

It'll take some twenty turns to prepare, but I'm going to gamble on nothing dramatically shifting during that time. I'm playing on Prince, so it's not all that hard and the AI is barely aggressive.

I tried to do a domination victory with Macedonia, but after about 260 turns, and capturing all 6 capitals on the map it just didn't work for some reason. I don't know if I have to wait a certain amount of turns or something afterwards, but boy howdy did that feel like a waste of time.

I just finished Oxenfree the other day. It was a lot of fun, a nice change of pace from what I'd been playing, interesting characters. I did feel a bit lost a few times and didn't really understand how the island actually functioned as a tourist trap if your average Joe is expected to climb rock faces to get back to town from the woods, but never mind.

I can't help you with why your domination victory didn't work! This weekend I FINALLY got the religious victory I pursued, and it was a lot better than winning in Civ 5: you get a nice movie and Sean Bean telling you what a great job you did. That's fun. I totally owned the Aztec with my aforementioned strategy, though I have to confess I played at Prince and he didn't put up much of a fight in the end as I swarmed him with apostles and seized city after city.

I'll do domination next. Maybe you need to wait a few turns, or you missed a capital? I don't know Civ 6 well enough to say that it's a bug or the victory goes deeper than conquering capitals.

I looked it up and apparently you have to own the original capital of each Civ so maybe I just missed one. However, on the actual victory tracking screen it says I've got all 6 capitals.

I started a new game with Greece to try out a cultural victory. It's fun not having so many units to think about each turn like with the domination victory.

I have no idea how the cultural works. Something with tourism, and you have to have more foreign tourists in your nation than you have people going out - because holidays are bad for you? Don't know what the message is there.

For my next game (which might be some ways off, this already took me a month), I might go for a smaller map size with fewer civs, so that it ends faster than it did now. What's the most interesting map layout to play on, you find? Fractal? Islands?

Not to start another Pizza Tonight debacle, but...

(skip to 2:05)

When Toadette clears a level she is saying "He-heee! Who cares!", right?

Anyone try the new Yoshi Yarn Thing demo? I sure did, and it was fun! I know I shouldn't sound so surprised. I got the game demoed to me last year at a Nintendo event, but seeing it in action and playing it are quite different. There's an ineffable quality of fun to it, even in the first level. It's not at all challenging, but it has the same attraction factor as Captain Toad Treasure Tracker, where you're having a good time just solving the relatively easy riddles and puzzles. I might be picking this up, though probably not right away at full price. Though this could sway depending on the reviews.

Also, POKÉMON DIRECT TODAY, with most likely the gen 8 reveal. Let's see if it'll be a 'same old thing on the Let's Go Pikach/Eevee technical backbone' or something more ambitious this time around.

I didn't try the demo because I'm already 100% confident I'll enjoy the finished game. I also really want to see Yoshi's Woolly World ported from the Wii U. That game was great too.