Ben X

The Big FPS Playthrough MISSION COMPLETE

Okay, yeah, the Section8 'campaign' is absolutely just a CTF match with bots, so I've given up on that and moved onto Bioshock 2. I've also kept Crysis installed because I'm having lots of fun bulling through it a bit at a time. 

I added people on steam, ostensibly for Killing Floor as soon as I install it. I've never played it.

18 hours ago, Ben X said:

I did bring this up with @Laco when they offered me the key, but they recommended it anyway...

I only just now realised that the Section 8 campaign I played and remembered enjoying was actually Prejudice, the expandalone/sequel released two years later. Whoops!

Laaaacooooo!

Well, I started Bioshock 2. It's obviously fairly familiar stuff, with a few new touches. The biggest difference is that I'm playing a Big Daddy. So no running, but more plasmid slots immediately open and a satisfyingly heavy melee swing. It's all very polished as usual (lots of cool underwater bits, including a glimpse of the sunken plane from the first game, and actual animated characters speaking on the televisions rather than the portrait cards which made the first game feel less real) and Rapture feels even more oppressive and broken down. Other little things - remote hacking, a new hacking mini-game (hit a key to stop a needle on the correct part of a scale) which so far I prefer but seems like it may leave less room for error once the difficulty goes up) and some proximity mine things.

I'm enjoying it, but that 'not sure I can be bothered to search everything thoroughly' feeling has hit me already. Not the game's fault, I don't think, it's just that I'm playing it so soon after the first one.

One thing I really appreciated about Bioshock 2 right off the bat was the ability to use both hands.  It always bothered me in Bioshock 1 that my left hand could shoot bees and my right bullets but not both at the same time.  It was never a major issue gameplay wise but it's a detail that bugged me and I was really glad got addressed.

Huh, I hadn't fully clocked that. I think I was distracted by the fact that they bind your left hand to your right mouse button and vice versa. The obvious reaction is to rebind them, but I'm worried there's a good reason for having them this way that I can't think of!

I can't say for certain but my reasoning would be that most of the time you'll be firing your weapon with intermittent plasmid usage.  So in a sense your right hand is your "primary" weapon and the left hand a "secondary" which translates to left/right click in most shooters.  If it makes more sense to rebind then I'd say do it, but be prepared to right click a lot unless you mainly rely on plasmids.

I briefly rebound the mouse buttons to match the hands but I found myself messing up the buttons so I went back to the default binding and that worked fine.

Hmmm, yeah I guess 'left = shoot' in my head too, so it's probably best to keep them as is.

I rebind so left is my left hand and right is my right and it doesn't cause an issue. I think it is just that left click is seen as primary, whereas on the console version the right trigger is the primary which visually lines up.

I never had a problem with left/right hand/click in Bioshock but in Borderlands 2 I was constantly fucking up as the Gunzerker whenever I pulled out two weapons.  I think the default there was left click shoots your right gun and vise versa with the option to reverse it, but no matter what setting I used I never fired the correct one so I defaulted to firing both constantly.

54 minutes ago, thepaulhoey said:

I rebind so left is my left hand and right is my right and it doesn't cause an issue. I think it is just that left click is seen as primary, whereas on the console version the right trigger is the primary which visually lines up.

Ahhh, this makes sense. They also have controller button prompts on all their menus which looks hella ugly.

Ooh, I also forgot a nice touch in Bioshock 2 is when you walk under some dripping water you can hear it tapping your metal helmet.

I did some online multiplaying tonight! First we did Killing Floor which is a wave-attack co-op thing. It was okay. It was definitely fun chatting with @osmosisch and @Jutranjo (who needs to remember to post that Crysis vid if it's not the same one that was posted earlier here) while we played. It was not fun when some randoms showed up and started welding doors shut to make the game shitty for everyone, but hey at least as a tourist I got a little taste of toxic online gaming culture! We also played Mirage, which is a deathmatch game so I had no chance of enjoying it, just as I never enjoyed real-life competitive sports. It seems from everyone else's comments that it was not that good in general anyway. I might at some point go through the tutorials of TF2 and see if I fancy trying it, but I'd prefer to play a co-op campaign (like, say, play through HL2 with people or something). Maybe I'll look into that at the end of this too.

Thanks everyone for all your help and companionship in the big scary world of online gaming!

While I will have the same availability issues I talked about before, if possible I would also love to TF2 with you sometime.  There's a wave based co-op mode there as well which I frankly loved but it's almost impossible to find players for now.  I also have a large inventory of spare weapons I could give you.

The 12v12 mode on an american server with 150 ping was not great. Me and Lu went on a 50 ping 3v3 arena mode, that was actually great. Osmo and toblix joined too.

One of these days I'll commit to replaying Bioshock 2. The last time I tried replaying it I was in a situation where I had setup a fight vs a Big Daddy. I managed to take the Big Daddy out, but in the middle of that fight a 2nd Big Daddy showed up out of nowhere and took me out. And because of that both Big Daddies respawned which felt like such utter bullshit to me that I didn't feel like playing anymore.

My suspicion is that the current conventional wisdom that Bioshock 2 is actually the best Bioshock way overstates things, but the game deserves more credit than it received when it first came out.

2 hours ago, SecretAsianMan said:

While I will have the same availability issues I talked about before, if possible I would also love to TF2 with you sometime.  There's a wave based co-op mode there as well which I frankly loved but it's almost impossible to find players for now.  I also have a large inventory of spare weapons I could give you.

Sounds good! Now, do you have any of those Max hats..?

I can't stop playing Crysis 1 now! I thought I'd quit at the tank bit but I somehow breezed through it on medium this time whereas it was a real struggle on easy when I first played. I'm onto the refinery bit now, though, so I guess I'll be quitting pretty soon and back to Bioshock 2.

On the whole BioShock 1 v 2 discussion, I think the first game is the one that will always be remembered better and for very good reason, it's what brought us Rapture. Probably the most imaginative and creative location in games and even including other mediums it's still up there in terms of how well realised it was. That impact is an incredibly important part of the game that just can't be ignored and it's what gives it the edge over BioShock 2. Ignoring that impact I think BioShock 2 is a better game, the combat works far far better and while it does devolve into chaos more often that I'd like it's never as bad as the first game and it feels more restrained in just beefing up regular splicers and does a good job of introducing different enemies. The story is about on par with the first in that it never quite lives up to its potential and the best part of it is the side stories you're finding out about through the tapes left behind and the state a room has been left in. I think BioShock 2 is the opposite of the first in terms of pacing where it takes too long to get going but once it does it goes at a satisfying clip while the first starts out so strong and turns into a trudge come the end. BioShock 2 has the advantage of hindsight and I think the developers did a great job of looking at what worked and what didn't and improving so much. But still, BioShock was so impactful at the time and a real benchmark of where games could go(which they didn't really unfortunately) that it's the one I'd recommend if someone can only play one of them.

On the subject of multiplayer games, when you get to Left 4 Dead 2 we should play that online, get 8 people if we can for some versus. It also includes all the campaigns from the first game. I was quite the fan of it...

Capture.PNG

I stalled at the refinery and played a load more BS2.

Still enjoying it, mostly for the art design like the museum with all the tableaus. The mini siege sections while LSs raid corpses are pretty tense without being infuriating. And the brute splicers chucking props at you are cool. I am finding myself low on ammo a lot, though.

I'd be up for L4D2, deffo.

When talking about Bioshock 2, I think you would need to experience Minerva's Den dlc as well.

Can you explain why without spoilers? It is on my list, so I'll be playing it with a Sniper Elite break in between the two (assuming I can figure out how to run it in Steam).

I am aware of both of those things, but Kolzig said that I need to play it before I can talk about Bioshock 2.