Ben X

The Big FPS Playthrough MISSION COMPLETE

Ah, ok, so it's that the invisibility barely depletes if you're stood still. Also, I've already found the weapon modding stuff and it's relatively simple actually. In fact, I'm going to start again on medium/normal, because I'm waltzing through this at the mo, and that's not really the best way to play Crysis/Far Cry (for the originals, anyway).

Okay, I'm still breezing through this on Normal. It's fun, but not really very challenging so far. I wonder whether, as this is known as the actiony spinoff of the first game, they intentionally lowered the difficulty. Another niggle is that the tagging isn't as helpful as I remember it being in Far Cry - your radar is a lot smaller, I think. This seems different from Crysis too, again possibly they're encouraging you to run into firefights rather than be all stealthy.

I think I'll take the action approach and also try to do stupid stuff like speed up to someone then turn my strength up and punch them to oblivion or throw a turtle at them real hard.

Well, I've played a bit more of this, and I'm now into the 'not as nice looking frozen section of a Crysis game'. I also just had to go through a Call Of Duty bit with a team of supersuit allies and fight a boss - as with all Crytek games, when it goes linear, it sucks. Now I'm stuck because I can't tell how I'm supposed to get to my next checkpoint. I think it may involve platforming, but it's really frustrating trying to find out because there's no quicksave. Walkthrouuuugh!

I have to say, I'm currently a bit disappointed with this. It feels like a dumbed-down version of Crysis.

That's a coincidence, just this morning I started the day with an hour-long retrospective on the Crysis series [and why it's not particularly great] :

Well, I really enjoyed the first one, but this one not so much and I hear the next two are pretty bad, so that sounds about right. Please remind me to watch that when I finish Crysis 2!

The walkthrough says it is platforming (or at least high jumping), but on some ice platforms which I must have disregarded. So back I go to fight through this section again!

Crysis 3 is an improvement over 2 but I still wouldn't say I enjoyed it. I never made it to the end of either of them. Crysis 2 is one of the most disappointing sequels I've ever played.

My memory is a bit hazy on Warhead but I felt it cut out a lot of the slower parts of the first Crysis but if those are parts that you enjoyed I can understand you not liking it as much. I don't recall feeling like I was forced into more action with it though.

1 hour ago, Roderick said:

I believe Crysis 3 is actually pretty good, so maybe just skip the second one?

I'm playing through my FPS backlog, no more no less. So when I get to 2, I'll play it until it reaches the point of too-shittiness. I don't own 3, so I won't be playing that!

1 hour ago, thepaulhoey said:

My memory is a bit hazy on Warhead but I felt it cut out a lot of the slower parts of the first Crysis but if those are parts that you enjoyed I can understand you not liking it as much. I don't recall feeling like I was forced into more action with it though.

Special Paul flashback quote-from-elsewhere!

Replaying Crysis Warhead now, and I'm loving it. I think the thing with it is, it's a game where the combat is as fun as you make it. If you go invisible, kill a man, let it recharge and repeat it gets really boring. But when you turn on super speed and run into a base, put on strength mode and grab a red barrel, then throw it into a group of 5 soldiers and shoot it, it is fucking awesome.

Edit: Also Warhead is much better than Crysis I think. Never finished Crysis, got to the bit where I had to fly some helicopter thing that controlled badly.

I think my time for making fun combat in this game may be over, but we'll see. I'm on a siege section now (groan).

My favorite parts of Crysis 1 were using the suits abilities to take down soldiers. Once the aliens showed up I lost all interest. I would love a Far Cry style game with a Cyrsis suit, where you have to take down a bunch of bases and can decide how to mix stealth, speed and strength to do that.

I enjoyed the original Crysis a lot more once I cheated to make it so I'd never run out of suit energy and have to wait for it to recharge. I was just full on Maximum man all the time, and it was a hoot.

Okay, I got through the siege section by taking to higher ground (not sure they intended that, it was suddenly a cakewalk) and got back to shooting men in corridor-room levels which was good fun again! Throwing explosive barrels is the way forward. Invisibly laying landmines for vehicles to run over is good too.

I just did the train bit, which is an on-rails section but good fun basically because it's dead easy and the explosions look great. I got through the alien turret-siege bit at the end of it pretty easily as well. It's back to another on-rails bit now, though, I think. Hopefully I'll get some proper outdoors man-throwing again soon. As with a lot of these super-power FPSes (Bioshock etc), it never lets you off the leash properly or soon enough. It'd be great to just have a section where I don't need to care about health and there are explosive things everywhere, I can pick up trucks etc.

EDIT: okay, there wasn't another on-rails section (though there was a stupidly long cutscene where Psycho's mate dies so he slowly drowns an anonymous Korean soldier then sits there crying for a bit). I am now back in the jungle infiltrating a compound! Yay! Also, something I forgot to mention earlier, the optional objectives, are back, which is cool.

Finished. That was only a little man-shooty bit before a fiddly avoid-the-aliens-and-pick-up-a-mega-weapon and shoot the EOGB about five times with it before the game ending (with another awful and weirdly sado-masochistic cutscene). Disappointing.

Both Crysis games so far needed to look at their core gameplay (the supersuit powers in the non-linear 'action bubbles' full of good AIs) and just iterate on it, rather than keep putting a load of linear gimmicky/fiddly shit in there. I wouldn't even mind the aliens showing up if they provided a clever variation on using your suit powers (e.g the invisibility doesn't work on them, and rather than shooting at you they melee attack you, so you have to use speed and strength to circumnavigate them then throw shit at them). I had great fun in the fun bits, but they were too diluted. Also, again, I feel like the game was intentionally less stealthy and a bit nerfed overall, which was a shame. (In fact, fuck it, I'm going to reinstall the first game now and see if that feeling is accurate.) It always looked lovely, though, and felt slick.

A rather negative review which I agree with a lot of (most reviews were very positive, I think)

Post-mortem 'shaped' by @Chris!

Write-up of a GDC post-mortem (I can't find a video of the original presentation)

And oops, forgot the Crysis 1 forum thread previously

I didn't say much about Mirror's Edge when I played it:

I'm disappointed by Mirror's Edge so far. It's like a thousand QTEs stitched together where they don't tell you what button to press so you have to play through each one of them ten times each just to figure out what the designers want you to do.

Have given up on Mirror's Edge about 75% through - just so frustrating. Another game that should be making me feel cool but doesn't let me. Felt more like a tech demo tbh.

Retrospective

Making of

Postmortem

Thumbs thread (another one started by @toblix!

So it's now onto Killing Floor (if anyone fancies some co-op with me and I can get it all working) and Section 8 which I know nothing about!

Man I would love to do Killing Floor co-op if I could find the time.  Haven't played the first one in a long while so I'm probably crap at it.  Maybe we can work something out.

Sweet! I'm TimeGentleman on Steam. Everyone friend me, and in the meantime I'll try and figure out headset stuff - my PC was made by a mate and I often have issues with mic in/out, that kind of thing. I won't be around for the next 15 or so hours at least, though.

(Just played a bit of Crysis and the action bubbles are immediately more fun and challenging. Enemies definitely got nerfed in Warhead, or the difficulty levels are a lot different...)

I'm pretty sure I have both Ben and Osmosisch on my Steam friends list.  I'm SecretAsianManz if anyone else is looking to group up (look for the same reindeer as my forum avatar).  My time is really limited these days and I definitely won't have an opportunity for KF until at the weekend and even then my time will depend on my kid being asleep.

I'm also going to go ahead and throw Killing Floor 2 out there for consideration while we're at it.  The core game is mostly the same but I'm far more familiar with it than KF1 and have nearly every perk maxed out so I could do some carrying if need be.

48 minutes ago, TychoCelchuuu said:

Section 8 is basically a multiplayer shooter (like Killing Floor, really) so it's going to be tough to give that one much of a shake.

I did bring this up with @Laco when they offered me the key, but they recommended it anyway...

I've PMed SAM, Osmo and Paul re. Killing Floor co-op. I also got a couple of other Steam friend requests, but I'm not sure if they're for co-op or just general (and in one case I'm not sure if it's a Thumbs forumite or just a random!)