Jake

Idle Thumbs 207: Buble Bloodborne Bloodbeef

You guys brought up Varoufakis, former Valve economist and current finance minsiter of Greece, on this episode, and I know you guys were just joking around, but I find this stuff genuinely interesting so I just wanted to clarify that Varoufakis didn't suggest that Germany should pay war reparations. It was Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras who suggested this directly to Angela Merkel in an encounter that was wonderfully uncomfortable.

The way this dynamic works is Varoufakis and Tsipras have a good cop/bad cop thing going on in these negotiations. In terms of outrageous Varoufakis stuff the media has latched onto two things: 1. there was this Guardian op-ed piece he published where he described himself as an "erratic Marxist", and 2. he dresses a lot more casually (i.e. unbuttoned collar) than your typical finance minister.

So are the Thumbs maybe, just maybe saying that on this occasion Nintendo EAD might be a codeword for the secret remnants of THQ Blue Tongue of De Blob fame?

...maybe?

Star War names not only strange in Italian, in Portuguese (Brazil) they look even more strange or resemble other words (and a few dirty ones), but they didn´t made any changes in localization.

I will just leave a classic and clean (almost) exemple:

Captain Panaka - It sounds almost like the word "Panaca" which could be (not exactly) translated to english as "dumb"

Thank you for posting that link, just because it contains an image that captures, all at once, the reason that Dark Souls is so treasured by me, not just as a game, but as a story.

I know the artist cheats a little bit with the precise geography of Lordran, but it just shows so much how Dark Souls was its own self-contained world, the Gormenghast of games.

Is there a link to the artist anywhere? I'd love to get a print but would prefer to buy from the artist.

I googled 'Intel spider' to find this video but the first results are all of Intel spider dress. A 3d printed dress with spider legs that extend towards you when you get too close. That's way freakier than the little robots imo.

It's got to bizarre working for a modeling agency, knowing CES is coming into town and expecting to maybe be showing off a phone or something, and end up wearing a spider.

I was really confused at Sean's bafflement about Splatoon. It seemed strangely put-on, which happens a lot on other podcasts, but is rare for Idle Thumbs. Maybe "a mulitplayer shooter about squid girls who travel through ink that they shoot" just doesn't seem as out of character for Nintendo in my eyes as it does for others. There's no way you can put Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, F-Zero, Pokemon, Pikmin and Smash Bros. next to each other and come out with any coherent underlying theme for Nintendo's work, so why should Splatoon seem out of place?

I don't think it's aesthetically out of line for Nintendo, but the hodge-podge of the concept, the looks and the design just didn't feel Nintendo to me; especially since in the past three years we haven't really received anything super duper original from Nintendo -- so hearing that there was a squad-squid-tag-the-power-of-paint type shooter as a first party new Nintendo game was confusing.  My bafflement was not put-on; I think at this stage it's pretty obvious that I don't really have the energy for that.

Fair enough. I guess my impression might have been increased because the game was discussed on the podcast when it was revealed, so your surprise weirded me out. But I guess you weren't on that episode.

That might address the question Jake asked earlier re: rotating hosts. It's not a big problem right now, but something to remain aware of would be going over the same ground because people weren't present for previous conversations.

I think Dooku's sith name, Darth Tyranus, is also dumb.

Subtle, Lucas isn't.

I think Dooku's sith name, Darth Tyranus, is also dumb.

Rejected names were:

Darth Meandude

Darth Castro

Darth Napoleon

Darth Hitler

Darth Darth

Darth Goldforce Sithblum

Rejected names were:

Darth Meandude

Darth Castro

Darth Napoleon

Darth Hitler

Darth Darth

Darth Goldforce Sithblum

Actual rejected names:

Darth Icky

Darth Insanius

Okay, but I want you to look at the ones they went with:

Darth Vader

Darth Sidious

Darth Maul

Now look again at that other list with only slightly dorkier names and tell me I'm wrong.

Might as well just be Darth Evil for all of them, distinguished only by Evil Serial Number.

I don't think it's aesthetically out of line for Nintendo, but the hodge-podge of the concept, the looks and the design just didn't feel Nintendo to me; especially since in the past three years we haven't really received anything super duper original from Nintendo -- so hearing that there was a squad-squid-tag-the-power-of-paint type shooter as a first party new Nintendo game was confusing.  My bafflement was not put-on; I think at this stage it's pretty obvious that I don't really have the energy for that.

I remember seeing a single-player trailer for Splatoon that crystallised for me how it fits into the Nintendo aesthetic: it's a WarioWare take on sci-fi dystopia.

Chris mentioned how it seems like a game could do an abandoned place interspersed with human stories; The Talos Principle does something like this really well, so long as you're okay with there also being puzzles.

Jet fuel can't melt plastic guitars.

For that, you need a volcano:

In case, like me, you were wondering about the "Please, call me" plumber:

7J7C8991-copy.jpg

I admit, I imagined him balder and sadder...