toblix

Yeah, I don't know about the SteamBox, but Big Screen mode is pretty rad: they need to make adjustement for multi-screens and allow to skip the opening video but, imo, it's faster, more usable and more straightforward than the Xbox, PS3 or Wii UI/shops.

I like how big picture mode:

- is unfit for anything except 16:9; why is it even letter boxed?

- assumes you have an xbox360/xinput controller; half the functionality doesn't work with directinput controllers

- doesn't support multi monitor (like so many other games); it doesn't lock my mouse within it's fullscreenness, and I cannot select which screen it should use

Why does almost every controller-supporting game support only the Xbox controller? Because of not having a wired one, I recently connected my PS3 controller to the PC and had to set it to emulate Xbox controller for Steam big picture or games to work properly :(

Everything looks too "tablet-y" and "console-y" and as much as I love the tablet I just got... having my computer look like a tablet feels like a downgrade.

Everything looks too "tablet-y" and "console-y" and as much as I love the tablet I just got... having my computer look like a tablet feels like a downgrade.

I still don't get what's wrong with the UI. As I have understood it, the whole point was to make an interface that can be used with a controller and from afar. It's bound to be a bit "console-y", isn't it?

Why does almost every controller-supporting game support only the Xbox controller? Because of not having a wired one, I recently connected my PS3 controller to the PC and had to set it to emulate Xbox controller for Steam big picture or games to work properly :(

Do you have wireless? A couple of months back my wired 360 pad started screwing up on me, so I bought a $15 wireless receiver off of eBay. After a bit of set up trouble, it works fantastic. I love that little thing. Makes big picture mode great too, as I can prop my laptop up next to my bed, pull my controller out of my nightstand, and just play things while lying there on a lazy day. Played through 4/5 of The Walking Dead this week doing exactly that (and as a related aside, I love that game, and fuck that game).

I still don't get what's wrong with the UI. As I have understood it, the whole point was to make an interface that can be used with a controller and from afar. It's bound to be a bit "console-y", isn't it?

Well, if the whole purpose of the UI and potentially "SteamBox" is this, then I guess it's an appropriate interface. It's just I find the huge buttons these interfaces use ugly

The purpose is to be able to use steam on your tv with a controller. Standard PC interfaces are nearly unusable on a screen that's sitting 5-10 feet away from you. Hence the big buttons.

Anyway, I'm a fan of the interface, it just takes forever to launch. And since I'm always switching between playing on my PC and my TV I can't just set Steam to always start in Big Picture. Also some games have a launcher that doesn't accept controller commands, thus negating the usefulness of Big Picture. Unless Valve makes it mandatory for all controller enabled games to have controller enabled launchers, I can't see this problem going away soon. It's the down side of the relatively open nature of PC gaming I guess.

I am most immediately looking forward to Anarchy Reigns, the vaguely-defined maybe-sequel to Mad World that will feature an online multiplayer focus. (So it's another game in the God Hand lineage, but with much deeper fighting mechanics and is the first with MP.)

The game was in limbo for a good while, it came out in Japan and was well received by the few who bothered to play it, but Sega was looking pretty wary about giving the game a western release. (Sega not being in great shape, and Anarchy Reigns being a game that doesn't exactly have a lot of hype behind it.)

Well, it's coming out here with a rather desperate looking chunk of pre-order content and a 30 dollar price tag. (Seriously though, Bayonetta as a bonus character and two multiplayer modes, one of which is a co-op survival mode.)

Two days away!..?

EARTH DEFENCE FORCE 4 ooooooooooooossssshhh - almost forgot about this bad boy

I thought Vicious Cycle made a pretty damn enjoyable game with Insect Armageddon, but i am so thrilled to see Sandlot back on the series after making a string of games we didn't get in the west.

Yyeeeesssssss.

Ask Gamasutra: What should the video game industry expect in 2013?

http://www.gamasutra...hp#.UOhv8b8gGc1

Death to WiiU, then we might see a next gen metroid game on xbox720 in a few years. That would be sweet

Man, I was about to have a fit over Patrick Miller's input that the indie dev scene will struggle harder than before, because if anything their doors and opportunities are continuing to open. Turns out his argument is that newer indie devs will have a harder time now that there's established indie devs. Which I can understand to an extent but people like all of us who are really into video games will discover those newer devs and what they have to offer anyhow.

No, I don't think "people like us" will automatically discover all the good shit out there. Every day I hear about new indie games and play a fraction of them. There is no way all the games I fail to play are bad and undeserving of my time. For every Kentucky Route Zero, Perspective, Corrypt, rat chaos, Cart Life, Flywrench, Frog Fractions, Murder Dog IV, Red Rogue, Teleglitch, Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden, Middens, Queer Pirate Plane, The Real Texas, and Digital: A Love Story, there are 5 equally awesome indie games that we don't hear about because they get buried/ignored/lost in the shuffle.

Like, I haven't even played 10% of the Highly Recommended games at Free Indie Games, let alone all of the good games. And these are the free ones. Indie studios doing this for a living have to compete with amazing games being given away for free.

No, I don't think "people like us" will automatically discover all the good shit out there. Every day I hear about new indie games and play a fraction of them. There is no way all the games I fail to play are bad and undeserving of my time. For every Kentucky Route Zero, Perspective, Corrypt, rat chaos, Cart Life, Flywrench, Frog Fractions, Murder Dog IV, Red Rogue, Teleglitch, Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden, Middens, Queer Pirate Plane, The Real Texas, and Digital: A Love Story, there are 5 equally awesome indie games that we don't hear about because they get buried/ignored/lost in the shuffle.

Like, I haven't even played 10% of the Highly Recommended games at Free Indie Games, let alone all of the good games. And these are the free ones. Indie studios doing this for a living have to compete with amazing games being given away for free.

I'm not suggesting you or I will catch everything as it comes, but people will catch things. They have as much a shot of being a hit (not with the mass market but you know what I mean) as any non-AAA-published game.

That just seems overly optimistic to me. The people "catching" these games are the ones posting them into the "Highly Recommended" section of that website or into Rock Paper Shotgun's Live Free Play Hard column or into RPS news posts or tweeting about them or whatever, but even that isn't enough to ensure success. The difference between indies and AAA games is that AAA games have a marketing budget to ensure they make some money back. Indie games aren't really guaranteed anything more than a miniscule trickle of sales.

Sno... Anarchy Reigns was not very good. I ordered the region free Japanese version. Sorry guy, it kind of sucks.

Sno... Anarchy Reigns was not very good. I ordered the region free Japanese version. Sorry guy, it kind of sucks.

Most of the buzz i've been hearing is fairly positive.

I don't particularly need it to be awesome, i'll be happy if it's just interesting and flawed.

What about it didn't you like?

The single player campaign is pointless and utterly unfun with no challenge to it whatsoever, unfortunately you need to play it unlock most of the cast. Worse it isn't even like the single player prepares you for the multiplayer in any way, which is button bashing mess with none of it really being fun and rewarding players who skirt the borders of every ruckus and pick off the weak (essentially kill stealing). The levels might be multitiered but no one really uses them and everything bottle necks in the centre.

It basically plays like a more stable Iron Phoenix.

On a more personal level, the music in this game is utter dross. The Aural equivalent of of stepping on thumb-tacs.

Well i wasn't interested in the game for the campaign, so that's barely even an issue. Platinum pitched it as a multiplayer-centric brawler, and that's why i wanted to play it. I mean, and after playing the game online for a while, i really want to disagree with you, but i haven't honestly played enough to present any argument beyond NUH-UH. All i can say is that I was having a ton of fun.

As for the music, it's a lot of the same independent hip hop artists they hired to do the original music for Mad World. I am a person with no affinity for hip hop whatsoever, but i think what they've done fits these games. (Inasmuch that it's really fucking goofy in a pretty particular way.)

Divisive games! Clearly Anarchy Reigns is going to be one.

The upcoming cyberpunk RPG by The Witcher development team looks interesting. I don't know if it's projected for release in the coming year, but outside of the obvious Thumbs related stuff (The Cave, Gone Home, Quadrilateral Cowboy), and Squadron 42 / Star Citizen which is ticketed for 2014, it's the game in development that I'm most intrigued by.