Udvarnoky

Day of the Tentacle Special Edition

I'm so happy with how nice this looks. They did good.

If it is a filter, they sure did a million times better with it than any filter I've ever seen. This is how I picture DOTT when I remember it in my head. A+. :tup:

Also if it is a filter, it's goddamn impressive! No filter I'm aware of would take the pixelly headlights on that car and actually turn it into a perfect circle. I imagine, at absolute worst, they may have started with a filter and then redrew anything that looked wonky. Which is perfectly fine by me, given the results. :tup: :tup: :tup: 

Yeah, I'm with Twig. This looks fantastic. Sure, if they had infinite money to spend redoing each character/bg with perfect line art, etc. it could look even better but no way is this *just* a shitty pixel art smooth filter.

Anyway, I guess MI:SE set my bar for this kind of thing way low or something because I fucking love this.

From a Polygon comment, so I don't know whether this is true.

There was a Q and A a little while back where they said they were able to source all the original voice sessions, so the voice quality shouldn’t be a problem!

That's absolutely brilliant news!

If they did anymore to the art then it would've effected the style. I mean just looking at it, I would sharpen some edges and make things look a bit more dimensional, but then it wouldn't be exactly the same as the original. It was designed fro low resolution and would need a redesign for higher resolution to look better, but then it wouldn't be the same game. 

Well, it doesn't look the same to me at all, but remastered voices should be a treat.

I'm not a huge fan of the character art. It's definitely loads better than Monkey Island: SE, but it looks a bit too smoothed out like it was drawn then Auto-Traced in Illustrator. And in my head the characters have thicker lines than that. Getting good line art on those characters at that resolution would've been a massive undertaking, though..

The backgrounds I love, though. Only thing that stuck out was this bit of half-finished pixels.

DTaM8Vj.png

Considering the timeframe they're doing this in I'm phenomenally happy with all of this. Again, I may have set my expectations way low, but I'm just happy the characters don't look like this:

Secret-Monkey-Island-001.jpg

Yep they probably just made the decision that those background details aren't super important to redraw in detail. Because, really, they're not. I'd bet good money that in an alternate universe where DOTT was created with these higher-fidelity graphics FIRST and the background details looked like that (I've seen other examples of nitpicking), no one would even notice, because they wouldn't be scrutinizing with such intent to find flaw.

Screenshots look super great! Hopefully the animation works out, too.

Oh for sure. That is probably the only nitpicking I'm going to do from now on. Now I'm just excited to hear and play and enjoy this on all platforms forever!

I'm with you on this, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on why. I've been looking at the screenshots for a while and nothing much sticks out as obviously wrong. It seems that the backgrounds have some shading to them and the characters look flatter, but I don't remember if that was the case for the original game or not. Is it possible that the lack of visible pixels makes the flat colors look weirder?

I always got the impression that LucasArts made the most of every pixel in their adventure games; the same just isn't true for the update (which does look good, but not world changing good like the original for its time). I'm excited to see how they treat it, especially if they can get the original audio; it will be nice just to have a way to play it!

That thing about the voice recordings is correct, and I was really happy to hear that. The DOTT board at the DF forums has lots of good info direct from the devs, if people are interested and don't mind going through a few multi-page threads.

Sweet! If I can play it with everything on classic mode but with the good voice recordings I'll be the happiest person!

Sorry to pile on with kvetching about the art, but I will reserve all judgement until I see the animation.  Day of the Tentacle is deeply in debt to Warner Brothers animation and cartoon logic, so only by seeing the game in motion can I make any real determination on how effective the new art is.

I'm happy with the graphics remastering and excited about the news on voice recordings. I hope the animation will be fine.

Anyway, will perch.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing it moving. Regarding filters etc, Spaff on the DF forums sez:

All of the artwork has been redrawn from scratch in high resolution, and tries to be as faithful to the original as possible.

I'm very happy with how the new graphics look. We've gotten way worse looking remakes before, I would say.

I am somewhat less excited after seeing the Polygon screens, only because of some of the linework on the characters looked really aimless. I'm hoping that stuff is either eventually given more definition or looks better in motion (as Mike Mariano says).

The backgrounds are otherwise great/gorgeous/perfect except for spots like this:

The backgrounds I love, though. Only thing that stuck out was this bit of half-finished pixels.

DTaM8Vj.png

Considering the timeframe they're doing this in I'm phenomenally happy with all of this. Again, I may have set my expectations way low, but I'm just happy the characters don't look like this:

Yeah this shit sucks. Honestly there's no excuse for this stuff if it's prevalent. If they are loading up the backgrounds in Illustrator and starting with Image Trace to easily do this and you are forgetting parts and still getting jagged pixels converted to vector like this, it's obnoxious.

I'm going to give benefit of the doubt here and say this screen is unfinished, but I'm not gonna lie, I'll be really fucking annoyed and disappointed if this sort of quality is in the final game.

The mostly gross LA MI remakes don't really factor in here for me. I'm mostly going by Grim which looked very nice despite some yucky technical glitches, the obnoxious failure to properly recreate the Sproutella logo, and GOLO FLAKES.

I got to play a bit of this at IndieCade this weekend and the graphics do somewhat have a "filter" look to them, but when I pressed the button to revert to the pixel graphics it looked to me like it was much more work than a smoothing filter. I originally played DOTT on Mac which had a smoothing option and the remastered version looks much better.

The animation for the characters is exactly the same in terms of number of frames etc. It looked a little jarring considering how much sharper the graphics looked.

One thing that I noticed the most is how much better the music sounds! I didn't think about it much, but switching to the original made it clear that the new music and instrumentation was much higher quality and easier on the ears.

I was playing the PS4 version and for the controls you could either use the old palette of verbs or press square on an object which gives you a radial menu of the verbs you could use on that particular object. I feel like there could've been maybe one fewer button presses to do what I wanted, but it worked for me. Also, the verbs were hidden by default so the game played in full screen.

Nice! Thanks for the hands-on impressions! :tup: :tup:

I'm so excited about this! Have they mentioned any release dates? Is there a short documentary incoming, like they did with Grim Fandango?

kickinthehead, why didn't you take any video?!

Re. documentary, I get the impression this won't be happening. At most it'll be a half hour thing. However, it sounds like they've got loads of every other thype of special feature planned so I'm excited.

Oh for sure. That is probably the only nitpicking I'm going to do from now on. Now I'm just excited to hear and play and enjoy this on all platforms forever!

Oh please do nitpick. All I'm hearing these days is what a stellar job Double Fine has done, and I just fail to see it. A bit of skillful criticism may be needed, and you definitely have that skill. :mellow:

Excited to see the Dottse in motion though. No videos are coming forth. :D

I'm going to give benefit of the doubt here and say this screen is unfinished, but I'm not gonna lie, I'll be really fucking annoyed and disappointed if this sort of quality is in the final game.

Yeah, they just confirmed on the forums that it is - they're waiting for Tim etc to tell them what these should say! Also, all this art is alpha/first pass. I wonder how clear they made that at Indiecade/in press releases, because it hasn't come across at all and everyone is assuming these are all final art.

I mean if you created vector art on a canvas of 256X256, perfect it, and then blow it up to ten times its original size it's not going to look perfect any more. Things that looked sharp and well formed at small scale well be disjointed and sloppy at a larger scale. If you start trying to make it look perfect at higher resolution then you are basically changing the original art substantially-- with different artists at a different time then the original game's production. If you are slavishly trying to maintain the original art then you just modify it as little as you can to preserve the original lines/vectors.

This looks like they are sticking as close to the original as possible.

Oh please do nitpick. All I'm hearing these days is what a stellar job Double Fine has done, and I just fail to see it. A bit of skillful criticism may be needed, and you definitely have that skill. :mellow:

Nah, after seeing a shot on the DF forums of DOTT:Remastered running on an Indiecade screen I was filled with so much joy, all nitpickiness left my body completely. Can't wait to lie in my couch playing that on my TV.

0bTines.jpg

Yeah it looks good. Can't wait! Double Fine has done a stellar job!

Yeah, they just confirmed on the forums that it is - they're waiting for Tim etc to tell them what these should say! Also, all this art is alpha/first pass. I wonder how clear they made that at Indiecade/in press releases, because it hasn't come across at all and everyone is assuming these are all final art.

:D

Haha I guess I am letting the LucasArts remakes get to me (even though this is Double Fine) because of how unfinished they tended to leave things.