Chris

Twin Peaks Rewatch 0: The Pre-Episode

Twin Peaks Rewatch 0:

589__header.jpg

The Pre-Episode

We introduce the concept of Twin Peaks Rewatch--more to come in just a few days! In the meantime, follow us on Twitter at @peaksrewatch, on Facebook at facebook.com/twinpeaksrewatch, or on our website at idlethumbs.net/twinpeaks. Email us your comments or questions about the pilot episode at [email protected]!

Now this is something I can get behind. Been wanting to rewatch it for a while, and the recent announcement of a continuation only enhanced that urge. And now this! Yeah, okay!

I've never seen the show, so this is probably as good a time as any to watch it.

ahem

yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

I bought the Blu-Ray set when it came out, but I kept finding excuses to put off rewatching it and then being disappointed in myself for doing so.

I'm sure the 'cast will quite obviously be focused on the show, but I'm curious to know if the other "weird things" discussed might include inspired-by stuff like Alan Wake or Deadly Premonition (or even Link's Awakening).

I've seen Twin Peaks a while ago, after it came up again in a idle thumbs episode again. But I'm going to read it again.

Making my first post, hi everyone!

I've had a copy of Twin Peaks for years but have been too lazy (and too obsessed with achieveing a "perfect" frame of mind first) to ever actually watch it. I'm now going to watch TP for the first time, and try not to binge watch the rest if I can help it.

Speaking of Twin Peaks, the just released Kickstarter video for The Black Glove is very reminiscent https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove

Coming into this, I knew essentially nothing about the show, it having first aired the year of my birth. The only things I knew about it before I watched the pilot tonight were that it was a TV show with horror elements (which seems not really to be true even?). At this point, I'm not sure how to pigeonhole the show into a preconceived category, and that's pretty sweet.

Anyway, I may end up skipping out on this thread until I have gotten through a decent number of episodes to preserve the fresh feeling, but here were some things from the pilot I noticed/liked:

The recorder is a great conceit to get the FBI agent character to externalize his thoughts during the investigation, the contents of which make me like him a lot so far.

They do a remarkable job at little moments of humor that don't feel like they detract from the overall mood. Like some of the FBI agent's commentary and moments of levity that grate against the sheriff's seriousness (also, the Sheriff's fucking name lol), the receptionist at the police station, the deer head on the table at the safe deposit box place "Oh, it fell." These moments feel tossed off (or, not played for laughs or lingered on) in a way that makes the writer/director seem confident to me, which is always nice.

I'm excited to keep watching which, given that I have midterms to procrastinate my way away from, I imagine I will be doing quite a bit of in the coming weeks.

The murderer better not be that loser boyfriend who gets mad at the diner girl for having different brands of cigarettes in his ashtray.

Aww. I've just about finished watching the series for my first time over the last couple months. Still, It'll be interesting to hear stuff that I may have missed.

As this is a "re-watch" series, will there be spoilers for later episodes and the series as a whole? That is, will it be assumed that readers have watched all of Twin Peaks previously? If so, great, but I'll hold back until I've watched it all.

(This may be discussed in the intro episode, but I don't want to listen to the whole ep just to find out I'm not ready for the series yet!)

This is an extremely short info episode, Ben, you lazy bum.

It'll be spoiler free but with a break at the end where, if needed, some spoilers will be discussed. So this will be a new-to-the-series friendly podcast.

:rubik: 

Same here. Now let's just hope this goes longer than a certain book club...

cant watch books on netflix, also none of the books in the book club where interesting (to me), twin peaks is both interesting and nutty as heck

Also (some of the clips used are mildly spoilery, so be warned):

cant watch books on netflix, also none of the books in the book club where interesting (to me), twin peaks is both interesting and nutty as heck

speaking of netflix, is this available on any of the popular streaming services? or are people dusting off their DVD collection

i've only seen one episode and like David Lynch, like others have said could be a good motivation to get on board now.

I have also not seen Twin Peaks so I'll probably join in as well and finally get all the references to it I've seen in other shows.

speaking of netflix, is this available on any of the popular streaming services? or are people dusting off their DVD collection

i've only seen one episode and like David Lynch, like others have said could be a good motivation to get on board now.

Looks like its available on Netflix and Hulu

Will Jake and Chris record the podcast, listen to it backwards, recite their backwards words, then play it forward for the final released version of the podcast?

This is an extremely short info episode, Ben, you lazy bum.

Well, I didn't know that! Thanks for the answer, screw you for the Rubik.

Re. Netflix, this site is very helpful for finding out if stuff is on VOD. Click on the Netflix sign in the results to see in which territories that service has it.

OMG NEW PAGE! HOW EMBARRASSING AND EXCITING AND UNUSUAL!

You're doing it wrong, Ben. You have to make a super stupid and pointless comment without a quote to indicate who you were responding to. And THEN you edit to confess your humiliation.

From what I understand of the show, a weird disjointed post on a new page that seems to be a response to something and nothing at the same time is entirely appropriate for this thread.

So, is the 93 minute pilot episode on Netflix the wrong one to watch?

EDIT: no, it is the correct one. Chris referred to the European "feature-length" version, which confused me. The Euro version is 114 minutes long.

All right, I'm in. I've never seen the show before and have been purposefully avoiding it because I actually dislike the influence it's had on pop culture (from my perspective); i.e., the prevalence of the surreal without any sort of explanation, closure, or catharsis. This is especially frustrating with games that have been inspired by the show (with an obvious pass given to Deadly Premonition) because their writing is often categorically less sophisticated than other medium's. So, I don't know if finally watching Twin Peaks will change my mind about the show or its descendants, but hey, I'll take some backwards-talking nonsense in exchange for more Chris and Jake in my life.