tegan

Holy Crap, There's a New Homestar Runner Cartoon

The Cheat makes all their music videos.

Come on, this is 101 stuff... of a 15yo internet cartoon

Geez what is this egregious abuse of the fat brush tool in Flash? Is part of the joke how terrible it looks? What?

Homestar Runner's been around for a long time, and one of the recurring characters is a bad flash animator (he's Strong Bad's housemate who Strong Bad seems to think is some sort of computer animation genius), and his work shows up in a lot of music videos. (To elaborate on Reyturner's post.) So yeah it's a really old joke but it came from when it was a new joke, and is now just sort of a character trait and part of the aesthetic at times.

I used to not like it much as a gimmick but now I like it a lot - it places Strong Bad and H*R in an era of entertainment that is now over. The series has always been obsessed with dicking around with old technology and old aesthetic styles, and now their "he is bad at flash" joke is instead "this is the aesthetic of 10+ years ago on the Internet," and it seems like they know it.

Also, as the fish eye lens shots show, the rough animation can actually do a lot more movement in the actual animation than their sleek styled stuff that generally looks a lot stiffer because of how they reuse assets in order to make it easier to make episodes.

So I dunno, I feel like it looks rougher but has more life (like the early Simpsons) while the 'proper' style is clean and nice looking but feels like it's just meant to get the job done (like modern Simpsons).

Also the fact that you can go to the website and watch the Flash, although they've also got a YouTube account.

Homestar Runner's been around for a long time, and one of the recurring characters is a bad flash animator (he's Strong Bad's housemate who Strong Bad seems to think is some sort of computer animation genius), and his work shows up in a lot of music videos. (To elaborate on Reyturner's post.) So yeah it's a really old joke but it came from when it was a new joke, and is now just sort of a character trait and part of the aesthetic at times.

I think my extent of watching Homestar Runner at the early turn of the century was just Teen Girl Squad and Strong Bad e-mails. I knew that Homestar had a clean and crafted vector graphic style, so now it all makes sense.

Amazing! I loved Homestar Runner when I was a teenager, haven't watched it in so long. What a lovely surprise. The Cheat's still got the skillz.

I wonder if the fact that halloweensafety.gov doesn't exist is another layer in the joke?