Chris

Idle Thumbs 178: CS Losers

Idle Thumbs 178:

587__header.jpg

CS Losers

Join us as we all embark on our own personal trips through the dusty dunes. After 15 years clean, Sean gets a taste of Counter-Strike and is feared lost, Chris embarks on a journey of the mind on Desert Golfing's back 1500 and comes out changed, Jake falls through a time hole into his past, and Danielle is trapped on a deserted island with Carl Sagan and Terry Gross after facing off against one of gaming history's most controversial figures. Nick Breckon hasn't been seen for weeks.

Games Discussed: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Uwe Boll, Road Redemption, Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor, Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective, Desert Golfing

There's three episodes of Sherlock Holmes consulting detective on iPad/iPhone.... Although I can find them today? They were on the App Store yesterday

Heres the company's website

http://www.zojoi.com/sherlock/

Hmmmmm, apps not available

They were priced at 69p each yesterday, maybe there was a mix up with the pricing and were taken down as this review says $2.99... oh, that was 2 years ago

I've tweeted them to see whats up

I'm only five minutes into the episode, but already I can say with certainty that Sean has totally absorbed Justin McElroy's "Oh no" into his personality and now just does it unconsciously. I know I take up people's mannerisms all the time, we all do, but it's engrossing to see it happen so blatantly with someone so notable to me.

I love Desert Golfing. It's kind of amazing how it instills both the most gamey top score leader board feelings and also the indie artsy weird choices that leads your brain down a rabbit hole of interpretation.

I'm one of those people who's played a lot of shooters but never played a CS game.  It just doesn't look like something I'd be into.  I still like TF2 though.  Jake, if you ever want to play TF2 and Sean isn't up for it, I'll totally play with you.

I think a fight between Danielle and Uwe Boll would be an amazing sight.

Yeah, Danielle streams with Patricia on her channel.  If you follow them on Twitter they announce when and what they'll be doing.  I haven't been able to watch any of them live because they usually start too late for me.

I played so much CS from 00-05 that I have burned out on the game and haven't even tried CS:GO.  It was really great to hear the Thumbs had a fun time and Sean speak so fondly of it.  I wonder if they saw any good sprays.

I've got my own personal rivalry with an orc in Shadow of Mordor that may turn into a longer story, but I did get a quick, Thumbsy anecdote in the first few hours of playing:

I had just finished terrorizing an encampment and was running off to do something else when I got the HUD message that a captain had been defeated. I was a bit confused, as I hadn't actually confronted anyone recently, but then me view zoomed through a bunch of building geometry to show a deathcam shot of the defeated captain, and I saw that he had been killed by a wild animal. It may have been one I freed from its cage during my attack, or it may have been a wild one that wandered into the area, but now that captain was dead, and his spot was soon filled by the resulting power shifts.

I'm one of those people who's played a lot of shooters but never played a CS game.  It just doesn't look like something I'd be into.  I still like TF2 though.  Jake, if you ever want to play TF2 and Sean isn't up for it, I'll totally play with you.

I think a fight between Danielle and Uwe Boll would be an amazing sight.

CS hits this perfect stride for me when it comes to playing an FPS game online. It's fast, but not as crazy as your Unreal Tournaments get. And the round-by-round structure, rather than having a respawn time, helps that pacing even more.

I haven't played it in years but now I've got the itch to do so.

CS hits this perfect stride for me when it comes to playing an FPS game online. It's fast, but not as crazy as your Unreal Tournaments get. And the round-by-round structure, rather than having a respawn time, helps that pacing even more.

I haven't played it in years but now I've got the itch to do so.

Those are actually the reasons I haven't played it and don't think I'd be into it.  I like the sort of organized chaos of games like TF2.  I like being able to just respawn and jump right back into the middle of that mess.  I think having only one life per round would make me extremely timid, even if those rounds are short and fast paced.  I don't think that either way is better or worse, its just whatever you prefer.

Those are actually the reasons I haven't played it and don't think I'd be into it.  I like the sort of organized chaos of games like TF2.  I like being able to just respawn and jump right back into the middle of that mess.  I think having only one life per round would make me extremely timid, even if those rounds are short and fast paced.  I don't think that either way is better or worse, its just whatever you prefer.

I like the one-life-per-round, short-round structure (with goals to achieve beyond killing the enemy team) because it enforces strategy and team work while also enforcing urgency to engage.

I haven't played TF2 yet. I may someday. I did play the original TF mod some, but it felt like a slower paced UT (in that rather than dying within a few seconds of spawning, I'd die within a minute?).

At the end of the day, to each their own. My friends that played Quake 2 a lot were into the rail-guns-only, hook-shot-mod matches. I was into playing the game for real with the various guns.

Danielle correctly called out the Star Trek episode Darmok and my email about Farscape got read.  Nerd me is so happy right now.  And I can't wait to hear what Danielle thinks about the Peacekeeper Wars.

The CS video made me think of the Arthur C Clarke quotation, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Any sufficiently advanced CS player is indistinguishable from an aimbot. As a mediocre CS player, some of those kills just seem like magic - it is pretty awesome.

Oh man, Sean got really into CS: GO. RIP DOTA Today podcast...

When I saw CS was one of the games mentioned I assumed it was because they decided to play on the Gone Home map, but I guess not? I would love to see a Thumbs stream of that.

I had to delete Desert Golf from my phone after a week just because I was compulsively playing it anytime I had a spare moment, and the game just doesn't elicit any good emotional response out of me. I would just feel low levels of annoyance, impatience, or boredom. So after a week I noticed I had been in a bad mood for awhile, and I realized it was because of this game so I had to get rid of it.

Oh man I'm so happy that my tweet ruined Chris and got him to play Desert Golfing super far. I played to hole 4000 just so I could verify that the 3XXX super hole didn't exist (it doesn't) but I restarted yesterday to get my leaderboard score a little higher (currently ranked 1469 of 1613).

Playing holes 1000 - 3000 are super recommended if you want to devote the time to it. They're way harder and pretty crazy, and the gradient change is awesome (though I guess the surprise is ruined now). The holes beyond like 3200 or so are almost entirely flat and I don't think there is any more worthwhile content beyond it. I believe someone told the developer that they were on hole 3200 or so and the guy told him that they could probably stop at that point.

As soon as Uwe Boll was mentioned, I immediately thought "oh man I hope they bring up the idea of Danielle boxing him." Best.

Also, films directed by Uwe Boll include House of the Dead, Postal, Alone in the Dark and Alone in the Dark II, three movies based on Dungeon Siege called In the Name of the King, all three Bloodrayne movies, a fucking scene-for-scene parody of Bloodrayne 3 called "Blubberella" starring most of the same cast, and goddamn FAR CRY.

to get my leaderboard score a little higher

Sad that the Android version has no leaderboard  :tmeh:

Also, you can't solve video game controversies with boxing anymore because you can't call it "Raging Boll." We're never gonna' top that.