Chris

Idle Thumbs 178: CS Losers

My Canadian friend definitely says "aboot". Well, sometimes. Sorta goes back and forth, probably in the same way I occasionally shallowly step into the "Southern accent" pool.

Hah, probably about a two? I don't even notice it, myself. It's actually said Canadian friend who first pointed it out to me when we used to play World of Warcraft together all the time.

Regarding TF2 vs. CS respawning n'stuff -- does nobody play Arena mode in TF2, which is basically Counterstrike Mode? I often play this mode, usually when I see my brother is playing TF2 and decide to join his game. (On the rarer occasions when I start it up and choose a server myself, my choice is usually, inexplicably, some 24/7 Insta-Respawn 32-man 2Fort game).

Regarding the strange and subtle mysteries of Desert Golfing -- all that desperately wondering why he drew a face on that hill or put a cactus there, and if he meant anything by it, and what does it all mean?! was a nice counterbalancing effect on the discussion about criticism vs. authorial intent a few episodes ago. ^__^

I have played TF2 Arena mode, but I find it fits poorly with the class system, given that some classes seem to be designed to survive easier than others. Though it's probably also to do with my play style being highly reckless. The CS talk did get me intrigued to possibly play my first non-TF2 FPS since Timesplitters.

I was all about arena mode in TF2. Shame it's the mode that Valve forgot. The balance has always been not-great in it, but I love it because it's the only opportunity to pit the classes directly against each other in a controlled manner -- by which I mean, I can think about the advantages I have vs the advantages they have and formulate a plan based on that, and if something goes wrong it's because of a mistake I made, not because someone came from spawn at the worst time and ruined my play. Optimal play in standard TF2 is by necessity a numbers game, choosing the play that works out most often even if it's boring or predictable: I think it's a lot more interesting to actually have to get in my opponent's head, figure out what they want, and move to counter that.

... I really, really wish that arena got more love. Bringing those kinds of fighting-game-style headgames into an FPS environment is super-exciting to me. Anyway, that's why I mostly played spy :P

I haven't played TF2 in a while, but during my last period of play I spent most of my time playing the co-op MvM mode.  I'd occasionally join a payload or capture point server, but I've never played arena before.  It seemed counter to what I like about TF2.

Yeah from what you were saying a few posts earlier that's probably the case. Arena was a bit of an acquired taste at any rate: Just like CS, if you're new a lot of rounds will just end with you dying without achieving anything,

I still don't know where anyone ever got the idea that we say "aboot."

I'd say that "aboot" is meant more as a comic hyperbole. There's definitely more emphasis on the "o" part of the word. And it's probably a regional thing, too. Most of my family is from the North Dakota/Minnesota area, and they do a similar thing to the "o" sound in words like "boat." The pronunciation that always sticks out to me is for "sorry." There have been numerous times that I've found out a minor actor in something is Canadian because they say "sore-ee" instead of "sahr-ee."

My friend from North Dakota says "sore-ee"!

I know y'all mentioned KFC/Tacobell, but any combination will evoke this tune in my mind when mentioned

I'd say that "aboot" is meant more as a comic hyperbole. There's definitely more emphasis on the "o" part of the word. And it's probably a regional thing, too. Most of my family is from the North Dakota/Minnesota area, and they do a similar thing to the "o" sound in words like "boat." The pronunciation that always sticks out to me is for "sorry." There have been numerous times that I've found out a minor actor in something is Canadian because they say "sore-ee" instead of "sahr-ee."

Yeah, I've definitely heard the "Minnesota o" before. Most people I know say "saw-ree". As for "aboot", the more typical pronunciation is actually "a-boat" and is an example of Canadian raising, which is really fascinating if you care to read that article and know anything about phonetics.

Looks like fnatic and other pro CS players might not be so magical afterall:

http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2npzoc/dreamhack_on_ldlc_vs_fnatic_controversy_ldlc_vs/cmfvt7j

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2nowkw/discuss_the_fnatic_boost_on_overpass/

TL;DR: Teams, one that the featured in the video that this episode was talking about, were caught using texture transparency, immortal bugs, and pixel walking at Dreamhack. There is also some talk of aimbots, though not substantiated at this point.