tegan

What is the Nadir of the Simpsons?

If we're going to use this thread to complain about the Simpsons in general, one of the reasons I can't take watching the show anymore is seeing Homer at work.  I didn't realize it at the time, but I stopped watching the show around the time I started working at an actual nuclear power plant.  I'm fully aware that the Simpsons is satirical but seeing Homer's workplace makes me cringe so hard.  Between Homer's incompetance, the plant's horrible and unrealistic conditions, Burns' malevolence, and Lisa's crusades, the nuclear industry gets a really bad rap in the show.  We take it in stride here (there are several ironic safety posters with Homer on them) but it bugs me nonetheless.

Well in the early commentaries, when the show actually bothered to show that Homer had a job and didn't just do random shit all day, they said they did absolutely no research in what an actual nuclear power plant is like. Not sure if that actually makes you feel any better though, hah.

I'm actually surprised that hasn't been the subject of an episode yet, now that you mention it - a cutting edge clean energy nuclear company comes to Springfield and is horrified by the grim 1980s parody of nuclear power run by Mr. Burns.

And in one fell swoop - my next spec script, and this thread's next nadir.

That's kind of what happened with the Germans, except we never saw the counterexample plant

The irony now is that Germany is in the process of shutting down their nuclear plants.

All of the settings invented in the early seasons tend to be the crappiest possible versions of whatever sort of location they're supposed to be: the Power Plant is ludicrously evil and unsafe, the Kwik E Mart treats its employees like garbage and gouges prices as hard as possible, Moe's is an unsanitary dive, etc.

The linked video states: "A show out of ideas teams up with a show out of episodes."

I wasn't very impressed with any of the Bongo Comics Simpson/Futurama crossovers.

Fun Fact: In the DVD commentary on one of the Futurama episodes (A Big Ball of Garbage), one of the producers (David X. Cohen probably) notes that Futurama takes place in the "real" future, whereas the Simpsons takes place in its own fictional universe. So, because the Futurama universe is our universe, The Simpsons exists as a TV show within the Futurama universe, demonstrated via them finding Simpsons merchandise on the titular garbage ball.

I assume that division has long since been shattered by various comic crossovers, etc.

Can this be a what is the nadir of Futurama thread now?

Although the answer is pretty obvious: when it got cancelled. 

Can this be a what is the nadir of Futurama thread now?

Although the answer is pretty obvious: when it got cancelled. 

No, because both finales were great.

Consensus would probably land on a Zoidberg episode. Probably That's Lobstertainment or Stench and Stenchibility.

Either that or Bender's Game, which was pretty uninspired.

Is Futurama still running? I honestly don't even know.

Also yeah I'm honestly not a big fan of Zoidberg. I feel like in the vast majority of cases the show would've been the same or even better without his presence.

Which time?

The first time. The movies were...interesting, with Bender's Big Score and Beast With a Billion Backs being only reasonably good ones. After that I could barely stand them.

The stuff on Comedy Central was pretty poor. Maybe I didn't want to like it though.

No, because both finales were great.

Consensus would probably land on a Zoidberg episode. Probably That's Lobstertainment

Not seen the Comedy Central finale. That's Lobstertainment is a pretty weak episode, in a fairly weak season, but the next season (4, I think - the DVD and TV seasons are different) is utterly brilliant.

Not seen the Comedy Central finale. 

you don't deserve your avatar.

Seriously though, while there was a fair amount of filler, there were many good episodes and a couple of all time classics on the Comedy Central run (The Late Philip J. Fry being the most agreed upon there I think).

In any case, the nadir is the lowest point, not the low point from which it never recovered, so better episodes after That's Lobstertainment don't really matter. That being said, my personal pick is probably Bender's Game. There are several jokes in That's Lobstertainment that I quite enjoy, whereas I don't think there's a single line or plot element in Bender's Game that stuck with me. There's some kind of D&D joke, I think? That was the one with Mom and the Dark Matter, maybe? I can't even remember.

I liked a good number of the Comedy Central episodes.  On average I think they were worse than the first run, but some of them I think were as good if not better.  My personal favorite of the CC ones is Law and Oracle.  So many stupidly great jokes in that one even if all the references are really dated.

you don't deserve your avatar.

Seriously though, while there was a fair amount of filler, there were many good episodes and a couple of all time classics on the Comedy Central run (The Late Philip J. Fry being the most agreed upon there I think).

In any case, the nadir is the lowest point, not the low point from which it never recovered, so better episodes after That's Lobstertainment don't really matter. That being said, my personal pick is probably Bender's Game. There are several jokes in That's Lobstertainment that I quite enjoy, whereas I don't think there's a single line or plot element in Bender's Game that stuck with me. There's some kind of D&D joke, I think? That was the one with Mom and the Dark Matter, maybe? I can't even remember.

While I'd argue against that for so many good reasons, the main one is that I don't have access to Comedy Central in my country without paying extortionate amounts for the channel package, or pirating it.

The only episodes I saw from CC were when I went to the US, and they weren't great. I believe I saw one on evolution which the theme of the show was "can't we all just get along?" That was pretty dumb. One with a gender swap, which seemed like they ran out of ideas, one with The Time Machine time machine in it, I kinda liked. Oh and finally the remix episode, while the art styles were pretty cool and enjoyable, the plot was garbage.

That's a fair point, and I agree in That's Lobstertainment there are some good jokes, but I couldn't make it through Bender's Game. I had to turn it off. 

All of Futurama is on netflix in the US, although maybe it isn't elsewhere?

Also, as someone who has never watched The Simpsons, I find this thread surprisingly interesting.

All of Futurama is on netflix in the US, although maybe it isn't elsewhere?

It is? Interesting. I might start rewatching it.

I wish The Simpsons was on Netflix so I could watch it for the first time.

It is? Interesting. I might start rewatching it.

I wish The Simpsons was on Netflix so I could watch it for the first time.

The Simpsons is on Hulu Plus.  Use the promo code* thumbs/chris/jake/mints/fartnoise to watch crappy new couch gags.

*I have no idea what the actual promo codes are right now.  Also I think Hulu Plus kinda sucks.  There's some good stuff on there but not as much as I'd expect, you still get ads even though it's a paid subscription, and their mobile app is terrible.  I only have it because I got 2 free months using a promo from my Chromecast and I'm going to cancel before I actually have to pay.

Yeah unfortunately I'm not interested in Hulu Plus precisely because it still has ads.

When did Maude die? That was the first time I thought Homer was a complete dick.

The lobster one was patchy I think.

I'm about a decade behind.