tegan

I Had a Random Thought (About Video Games)

Ok I transcribed the monologue over the top of the FF7 remake trailer:

Long ago, we looked upon a foreboding sky.

The memory of the star that threatened all burns eternal in our hearts.
In its wake came an age of silence.
Yet with each fond rememberance, we knew: those encountered were not forgotten, that someday we would see them again.
Perhaps it was no more than wishful thinking, but after the long calm, there are now the beginnings of a stir.
The reunion at hand may bring joy. It may bring fear. But let us embrace whatever it brings, for they are coming back.
At last, the promise has been made.

I hate this shitty style of writing so much. I can't play final fantasy games because of it. Going back to Kingdom Hearts, which I loved as a kid, is impossible. It even creeps in to the From Software games, which I've put hundreds of hours into, in a few places.

Please make it go away.

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. I'm looking forward to FF7 not even close to measuring up to people's memories of FF7.

Maybe we can finally skip all those interminable exposition sequences, which last for hours and during which you can't save your game.

(but I wouldn't bet on it)

I hate this shitty style of writing so much. I can't play final fantasy games because of it. Going back the Kingdom Hearts, which I loved as a kid, is impossible. It even creeps in to the From Software games, which I've put hundreds of hours into, in a few places.

Please make it go away.

Can you describe "shitty"?

Is it the mixture of ambiguity and grandiosity?

I hate this shitty style of writing so much. I can't play final fantasy games because of it. Going back the Kingdom Hearts, which I loved as a kid, is impossible. It even creeps in to the From Software games, which I've put hundreds of hours into, in a few places.

Please make it go away.

The intro to Dark Souls is that kind of cheesy garbage (though not quite to this level), but I like most of the character dialogue. It fits the game somehow.

Is it the mixture of ambiguity and grandiosity?

I'd say vagueness and loquaciousness: it uses very big words to say very, very little.

But that's only part of it. It's a mood setter, but what mood is it setting, exactly? You don't fondly remember a foreboding sky; the only real statement it's making is that there's a something coming back but we're explicitly told that we're not supposed to have an emotion about that; describing a memory as burning in the heart is just weird.

It is a word salad.

I transcribed the VO for the Tom Clancy's The Division trailer. It's not as over the top as that, but it's pretty vacuous. 

We were always told it might come to this. That one day, everything we ever knew could end. It was a weaponized virus; one by one, we began to fall. People started tearing each other apart for survival, until society as we knew it collapsed. 

It was a signal that the normal lives we led were gone. We are activated as a last resort. We are the Division. 

We don't know how many of us there are, or what it will take to save what remains, but there is one thing we do know: there cannot be any hope for tomorrow if we don't fight for today.

Like, if that's the best you can come up with, use some music instead. The transcription fails to show the awkwardly long ~dramatic pauses~. 

I'd say vagueness and loquaciousness: it uses very big words to say very, very little.

But that's only part of it. It's a mood setter, but what mood is it setting, exactly? You don't fondly remember a foreboding sky; the only real statement it's making is that there's a something coming back but we're explicitly told that we're not supposed to have an emotion about that; describing a memory as burning in the heart is just weird.

It is a word salad.

Ya I pretty much agree with that. It's 100% unearned seriousness. They are the words of someone deeply moved by some series of events, and they're supposed to feel foreboding. But I have literally no idea what they're talking about.

Don't tell me your story is interesting, tell me your story and I'll decide for myself if it's interesting. It feels like they're saying: "you better already be on board with whatever it is we're going to be doing, because we sure as hell aren't going to make any effort to try to get you interested." 

The intro to Dark Souls is that kind of cheesy garbage (though not quite to this level), but I like most of the character dialogue. It fits the game somehow.

Yep, I agree there. I only noticed this sort of thing in a few places, never enough to ruin the experience for me.

Yeah, it's pretty garbage. I'm looking forward to FF7 not even close to measuring up to people's memories of FF7.

As long as Cloud rides a dolphin while wearing cool guy sunglasses in crisp HD, it'll be everything I ever wanted it to be. I just hope they don't clean up the mess of a script too much.

So I'm really excited about non diablo-likes using Lords Management mechanics, but Lords Management is too loaded of a concept and games are using mixtures of the game-mecahnics associated with that genre.

I'm excited about competitive farming in Titanfall's attrition mode and assumably in the new Halo. Gigantic looks like it will have some amount of single-lane pushing where your team will be trying to give your titan an advantage over the opposing team's titan (which is what Minimum executes poorly upon). I'm not as excited about that. I like to farm creeps and buff friendly creeps when they are many.

I'm hoping that For Honor has some farming going on too.

Could these game modes be called "competitive farmers"? Or is there a name that exists that would help me find more of them?

The control scheme for Transistor was awful until I realized you could play it like it was Dota, and all of a sudden it made sense.

I just played TF2 for the first time in a year. What the hell is going on? All the PL maps are robots and tanks and all these other insane mode changes I don't understand at all. 

Unless there's some weird event going on, none if the modes have changed...

Weird. I just selected some PL maps on different servers and they all had people playing as robots and tank races and stuff. Maybe I just happened to pick several servers in a row that were running their own weird thing.

Yeah custom servers have gone quite mad. Just let the game pick a server for you and make sure to tick the "Official Valve Server only" checkbox.

Has anyone else played D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die?  I'm wondering if someone can convince me to keep playing it, because I'm about halfway through it and just find myself almost constantly irritated.  I liked the prologue, exploring David's house, meeting his friends and whatnot, but the plane is just awful, wandering back and forth up and down a plane aisle talking to people I find universally annoying.  I was super looking forward to this, but something about it is off-putting.  There's no real game, just looking around the environment to click on things that are equally pointless.  Clicking on people to listen to terrible dialogue. 

Ugh, I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed by a game.  Does it get better?  Is there a turning point where it becomes more compelling?

Has anyone else played D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die?  I'm wondering if someone can convince me to keep playing it, because I'm about halfway through it and just find myself almost constantly irritated.  I liked the prologue, exploring David's house, meeting his friends and whatnot, but the plane is just awful, wandering back and forth up and down a plane aisle talking to people I find universally annoying.  I was super looking forward to this, but something about it is off-putting.  There's no real game, just looking around the environment to click on things that are equally pointless.  Clicking on people to listen to terrible dialogue. 

Ugh, I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed by a game.  Does it get better?  Is there a turning point where it becomes more compelling?

I think I felt the same way. The characters and conversations were fun, but walking back and forth on that plane felt like pixel hunting to find the right object that'd move things forward. The whole section where you had to find the three clues was so tedious because it was really obvious what had happened, you just needed to collect 10 different objects and play some minigames to have the character figure it out. I stopped right at the end of that chapter and I don't think I'll be going back unless someone convinces me its worth it.

I think I felt the same way. The characters and conversations were fun, but walking back and forth on that plane felt like pixel hunting to find the right object that'd move things forward. The whole section where you had to find the three clues was so tedious because it was really obvious what had happened, you just needed to collect 10 different objects and play some minigames to have the character figure it out. I stopped right at the end of that chapter and I don't think I'll be going back unless someone convinces me its worth it.

I'm in the section looking for the "clues" as to what happened, and the paranoid lady asked me to check all the windows AGAIN.  I just kinda rage quit. 

I know this was originally designed as a Kinect game, which explains a lot about its controls, but it commits what I ultimately think is one of the biggest sins a game can make.  It uses QTEs that actually interrupt the ability to watch and enjoy what is happening on screen.  The fight on the plane was the single most interesting then that had happened in that episode, but because I kept having to focus on QTE popups, I only got to enjoy about half of it. 

My hands are really starting to hurt from playing Guacamelee. When I finished playing last night, I actually considered needing to take a break from video games for a day or two to let my hands heal. I'm not actually going to take a break but I definitely considered it.

What in the sam hell has happened to Resident Evil.  Watch the first 30 seconds of

showing off the co-op mode emotes you can make.

Also, has anyone played either of the Revelation games?  I'm tempted to try them out.  I really liked 5, but bounced off of 6.

post-33601-0-54256100-1434737117_thumb.jpg

I can't think of a better place for this so I'll put it here.

Tale of Tales (not TellTale, nor Traveller's Tales), famous for games like the Path and Sunset recently posted a blogpost about the crushing Commercial failure of Sunset, their attempt to make a game with broad appeal for the sake of spreading it to a wider audience.

You can read their blog post here: http://imgur.com/a/QHuMd

They are currently having a sale hoping to recoup some of the debt they incurred. Sunset has gotten good praise and I also recommend the Path as a very interesting and strange exploration of a game.

You can get their stuff on http://taleoftales.itch.io

It's on sale for a few more hours and for another day on the Steam sale.