Jake

Idle Thumbs 161: The Eyes of Luigi

Idle Thumbs 160:

550__header.jpg

The Eyes of Luigi

You may have thought you were buying Mario Kart 8. Lucky for you, what you actually purchased was an intricate collection of high fidelity scenarios and systems which enable Luigi to glare at people he hates. Plus, Nick digs into this week's Steam Early Access releases, and Chris goes all in on Wolfenstein The New Order.

Things Discussed: Mario Kart 8, The Forest, The Stomping Land, Wolfenstein The New Order, FEAR

You have no idea how happy I am. I only found out about this Luigi thing 5 minutes ago, then I went to the podcast page and saw the episode title.

Best.

You aboslutely can upload Mario Kart 8 replays to YouTube. It's pretty slow, apparently, but yeah, you can do it.

rpyxgi7s4thuivwbehki.gif

I am pleased by the Wii U talk. A few things I wanted to say:

1) I have totally used all of these things to play Wii U games:

d9X6sod.png

2) if Jake does bring in his Wii U, please stream it!

3) Pikmin 3 got patched to use touchscreen controls just this week, so presumably they could indeed patch it again to implement Gamecube controls if they wanted to.

Ha, Jake told this exact story about The Phantom Menace after Chris told this exact story about Star Citizen in Episode 134: Sports. You guys are looping over yourselves.

Ha, Jake told this exact story about The Phantom Menace after Chris told this exact story about Star Citizen in Episode 134: Sports. You guys are looping over yourselves.

Phaedrus. It's the influence of Phaedrus.

Maybe my favourite thing about Breckon is his willingness to publicly talk about the times that he has embarrassed himself. (this was a great cast, also)

According to Star Citizen's website, there has been $44,696,913 raised and there are 463,019 "Star Citizens". Assuming only Star Citizens have donated, that's an average of $96.53 per Star Citizen. Obviously, there's deviation among those (eg. the $30.00 single-ship-model Chris bought and the sold-out $15,000.00 multi-ship-model), but it's not quite the "3 millionaires" scenario mentioned.

The number of backers and what not is available on the main page ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/ ). As of right now, the stats are:

Funds Raised    $44,696,918.00

Funders                463,019 

Average                 $96.53

There are definitely people who have spent tens of thousands on this already though. If you're interested in a sample of the breakdowns, you look at the various fleet infographics that people have made:

https://www.google.com/search?q=star+citizen+fleets&safe=off&espv=213&es_sm=119&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=8QyQU5-VIei88AH8ooGgCw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=901&bih=1106#imgdii=_

Here's a rundown of some of the ship prices (though they've varied so many times over time that this won't give you a really precise idea):

Idris            $1000 - $5000

Scythe  . . . . . . . . . $300

Constellation             $275

Retaliator . . . . . . .  $250

Caterpillar               $225

Hornet F7C . . . . $110 - $180

Starfarer                 $175

Gladiator . . . . . . . . $150

Freelancer         $110 - $125

Cutlass . . . . .  $100 - $115

350                $100 - $120

300 - 325 . . . . .  $55 - $80

M50                        $80

Avenger . . . . . . . . .  $75

Aurora               $30 - $45

I like hearing the old stories. It keeps me from having to dig back through old episodes for the funny or interesting bits, plus it saves time that the Thumbs don't have to spend hand-wringing about whether they've talked about something before, of which they occasionally go through debilitatingly boring bouts.

That's what I thought. I tried to recall when if happened and then went for it anyway.

Nick Breckon presence means this is a wonderful episode. Combined with lots of Nintendo talk, makes this a gooooood episode. :)

Opens with a home improvement-related expletive ... promising.

The Year of Luigi doesn't even begin until Luigi says it does.

I really like the 99 Problems clip, just because of the timing of the music.

The events of Luigi's Mansion would have broken a normal man. But not Luigi. He's seen some serious shit. It's time for the world to give him what's his. NO! It's time for him to take what's his. He's coming for you, and for everyone you love. Bowser thought he was king. He'll know soon enough.

Nintendo also made (in Japan) a Super Famicom controller that plugged directly into a Wii Remote (and was available through Club Nintendo in Japan...and later through ebay and various importer shops).  I have two!

ZwyHC4z.jpg

I also have one still in the box because I'm a crazy person (along with an SNES controller sealed in box):

X5Sh2rw.jpg

(there are also all kinds of crazy adapters for hooking up SNES, NES, Sega Genesis, Playstation, and other controllers to the Wii and Wii U...of which I have a few)

I have to disagree with the Thumbs about AI in FPSs. I think it’s especially worth talking about, because it’s an area that’s sorely underdeveloped (so much so that NPCs acting even marginally rational tends to shock us).

It may not be a solved problem, but neither is any other complex problem in games. If it were to be solved, then that is the point at which it would no longer be worth discussing.

I have to disagree with the Thumbs about AI in FPSs. I think it’s [/size]especially [/size]worth talking about, because it’s an area that’s sorely underdeveloped (so much so that NPCs acting even marginally rational tends to shock us).[/size]

It may not be a solved problem, but neither is any other complex problem in games. If it [/size]were[/size] to be solved, then that is the point at which it would no longer be worth discussing.[/size]

It's not that I don't think people should keep trying to make progress, it's that I feel when people DO talk about it from a player standpoint, they're almost always talking about nothing. It isn't that it CAN'T be an interesting and important topic of discussion, it's that it usually ISN'T. It tends to get brought up with a very hand-wavey "bad AI" dismissal that means fairly little. Maybe there are more interesting criticisms going on that I'm not aware of, but it's rarely a useful point in the discussions and reviews I've seen.

Yes! Nick Breckon!

It's always great to listing to his adventures. He's so invested in his stories. The cast needs this. Just like Chris is reasoning about game designs. Or Jake with this witty derailing..