melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Agreed, the dungeons are boring, but some of the bosses are really cool down there.

I fought The One Reborn twice and almost beat him both times.

Too bad he has a giant ass aoe attack that murdered me both times when he was like five hits from dead, probably less. I mean, my fault, I just need to be more careful.

You're probably aware of this, but my colleague wasn't, so it might be worth noting to

kill the bell ringers on the ramparts first, it makes the TOR weaker and slower. there are stairs to in either far corners to get up there.

I definitely didn't know that! Like I said, only fought it twice, and while I heard the bell ringers, I want really paying attention.

I started this today and put in a few hours. Total Souls newbie. I managed to get to those two big wolves on a bridge three or four times, but every time they wrecked me completely. I was never able to pull away just one and as soon as the second got in the mix I was done. I haven't tried going back and spending echoes instead (I didn't even realize there was gear for sale yet until I skimmed this thread). Is that helpful/necessary to get past them? Or do I just need to get good?

At the start I didn't realize how to actually equip the starting weapons (I kept trying to select them from the inventory screen), so I tried several times to take on the few first enemies bare handed. Not advisable.

Molotovs are always helpful, especially this early on, but I think that it's mostly a matter of learning dodge and parry timing. Not all enemies are going to necessitate it, but getting decent at it will make it go much more smoothly when things get rough.

I've rung my beckoning bell in the dungeons a couple of times, but never got any response.  Seems like you almost have to arrange co-op down there?

I fully agree that I wish there was something more compelling about them.  I can't quite pin down why they are disappointing.  Maybe because they feel like they have so little connection to the main world?  And they don't have any personality.  At least not the ones I've run.  But I've only gone as deep as the 3rd depth of the Pthumerian chalices.  Has anyone opened the other ones to see if they are more interesting?

You're probably aware of this, but my colleague wasn't, so it might be worth noting to

kill the bell ringers on the ramparts first, it makes the TOR weaker and slower. there are stairs to in either far corners to get up there.

Ha!  I didn't know that. 

Molotovs are always helpful, especially this early on, but I think that it's mostly a matter of learning dodge and parry timing. Not all enemies are going to necessitate it, but getting decent at it will make it go much more smoothly when things get rough.

I haven't been parrying at all. Doesn't help that the game hardly explains its existence. I'll have to mess around with it tonight.

Has there been any word on when that patch that reduces load times will drop?

Those notes strewn about the hunter's dream basically tell a bunch of the weird, or at least otherwise hidden, mechanics that you'd never really figure out otherwise. I'm fairly certain one mentions parrying, if not by name, then by method.

I mean I skipped over most of those notes, too, but it's worth reading them I think.

Leaving the game idle for 12 hours can easily happen if you use PS4 rest mode exclusively. The game never actually shuts down in that situation.

Now if they mean literally leaving the PS4 on for 12 hours straight, well, I dunno.

yes YES BINGO I GOT BINGO ON THE "THINGS IGNORANT PEOPLE SAY" BINGO CARD

Man, consoles become more like weak PCs with every new generation. One of the main advantages of console gaming was that games reliably worked.

Some people have started to draw stylistic comparisons between Bloodborne and Brotherhood of the Wolf, so I guess I'm going to have to finally get around to watching it.

I watched that back when it came out, but don't remember it terribly well. 

yes YES BINGO I GOT BINGO ON THE "THINGS IGNORANT PEOPLE SAY" BINGO CARD

this is, like, DEMONSTRABLY untrue.

It's true I don't actually have a bingo card. ):

It's got a really strong tone, a lot of which is wet tricorn hats and oversize muskets, but it kind of shakes apart by the end, so far does it go down its own rabbit hole of conspiracy-within-conspiracy. I'd rate it a high B?

It's about time someone started calling Twig out on his bingo card lies. I don't think I would have been able to stand it any longer.

i came pretty close just now to opening up ms paint and making a bingo card

but i'm at work so i didn't ):

Same, except a lingering feeling of disappointment.

I would say the first few Chalice dungeons make them seem more homogeneous than they actually are. Not that there's a huge amount of visual variation, at least in my experience, but they quickly layer in more enemy types, environmental hazards and traps at a depth of 3+.

Naturally they aren't as tight as the hand crafted areas, but I've already encountered my fair share of surprises, interesting combat puzzles and devious deaths. They're a nice end-game addition, a side dish to the meat of the game.

One concern I have about the dungeons is that they will have a long term negative affect on PvP.  The absolute best gems can only be farmed from the deepest dungeons.  And dungeons can't really be speedrun the way the main game can, because you need to fully explore them for the materials to open the next chalice.  It becomes an extra timesink barrier to creating and leveling new characters to try in PvP.  And without a respec option, the only way to experiment with different builds is to make a new character.  In DkS2 I could take a new character and reach the meta-level of PvP within 6-8 hours with fully upgraded gear, and even faster if I used an OP build to start and then respecced into my desired build in late game.  I don't think that's going to be nearly as easy in Bloodborne. 

do wish they had added a respec option, but that's mostly selfish, because I get hell of anxiety about allocating stats correctly in pretty much every Souls game. 

After sinking 110 hours into my first character on NG and NG+, I started a Skill build.  When I clear this time, I'll have the platinum.  Already planning on doing a lvl4 run--first Souls game I'm going to try this in!--and a note-taking/theorycrafting run.  I have other games to play!  Curse you, Bloodborne.

I'm pretty happy with the chalice dungeons because I love the combat in these games, and love roguelikes which the chalices emulate pretty well. If the promised load-time patch is effective I anticipate I'll be noodling around in there a lot.

I'm not going to pay even more money for online stuff and I'm very happy not being invaded so the pvp aspect doesn't bother me.

Am I doing something wrong with the chalice dungeons? I rarely ever get enough mats for the next one so I inevitably have to make a new one.

Can you just...reset one you've already run rather than creating an entirely new dungeon? 

I don't think I really had to farm for chalice materials.  You can buy some at the insight shop.  If it's Arcane Haze you're in need of, there's a tool in one of the standardized dungeons that allows you to convert other mats into Arcane Haze.  I didn't mess around with the Great Isz, or Hintertomb chalices, or really any of the randomized ones.  I was just concerned with getting to the Lore-significant boss in the Lower Pthumeru one.