melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Gems and chalices, but also weapons with different gem slots and weapon upgrade items. They end. Then you must do a separate ritual for the next depth - the chalice will tell you which depth it's for. They go up to 5, where apparently there's a powerful boss. I'm not sure how "farmy" they are, but I don't seem to find many of the ritual mats in the main game, so hopefully each dungeon will provide you with enough for the next one.  

Importantly, I believe you can get multiple Blood Rocks (the mat for upgrading a weapon to level 10) from running 4/5 depth dungeons multiple times, while there is only one in the main game (and it's a fucking pain in the ass to get to). 

I like them, I just was wondering if there's anything unique about them. When you say powerful items, is it just gem stones? Or is there something more? Do the levels ever end?

Each dungeon has 3 layers, and each "location" (there are four?) goes to at least a depth of 4 or 5 (at the third layer of each depth, you'll get a new chalice that lets you go to the next depth).  There's at least one unique weapon that's only in dungeons, at least one Rune that's only there, deep dungeons are apparently the best source of Blood Stone Chunks and the dungeons are the only way to get Lost and Uncanny versions of weapons.  The Lost and Uncanny versions are identical in stats to regular weapons, but have different configurations of gem slots which opens up some new combinations of how you can configure them, like giving you both triangle and crescent gems on the same weapon.

Edited: What griddle said. 

I banged my head against the Martyr again last night with my Bloodtinge build.  Got really, really close (twice!) to soloing him before finally giving up and summoning help again.  I totally see how he's doable now, it just takes more patience than I usually have, lots of waiting for openings. 

I got the Evelyn up to +6, and holy crap, guns can be useful.  Popping a bone ash makes the next shot do ~350 damage, and I'm not even close to its damage ceiling yet.  Now I've got the Chikage, which is the last weapon I need.  I never liked Katanas in the other Souls games (in part because of their popularity) but I'm really digging it the bit I ran around with it last night.  I also never played with any of the weapons that cause self-harm, so that's a new experience for me. 

I accidentally killed (post VA NPC)

Eileen the Crow during her fight with the other hunter guy. I still got her Crow Hunter Badge

but damnit now I'm just mad 'cause I fucked it up. LISTEN IT'S NOT MY FAULT SHE WALKED INTO MY CHARGE AXE ATTACK.

TWICE.

):

Oh well. I'm level 45 now. Someone do some chalice dungeons with me!!!

My PSN is Togglesworlh.

I've thought about killing that NPC a couple of times to see what drops.  Was it any good?

I should add some of you folks to co-op dungeons with.  Pretty sure my PSN is bjorndadwarf.

Likewise, I'm pretty sure mine is N1nja_Squirrel (edit: I checked, it is this). I need some Dungeoneering experience too. Now I know what they're useful for!

How exactly does the co-op work for that stuff? I'd be willing to do it, although I haven't even dove into my first yet (though I obviously just got it last night).

I've thought about killing that NPC a couple of times to see what drops.  Was it any good?

They drop a badge that lets you buy their equipment in the Dream, but you don't get the covenant Oath Rune unless you finish their story.

Also coaxmetal was telling me you have to be near the same level for dungeons? I haven't looked into this at all, so I don't know the thresholds of anything.

Co-op ranges seem pretty generous and straightforward, +/- 10 levels plus 10 percent of your total levels.  So a level 50 could co-op with 35-65 level characters. 

Dungeons are a little unique in how you co-op (there's a setting in a menu, and you need to both have loaded the same dungeon?  I think), we'd probably want to check a guide to make sure we weren't wasting time/materials. 

How exactly does the co-op work for that stuff? I'd be willing to do it, although I haven't even dove into my first yet (though I obviously just got it last night).

It has nothing to do with PSN names and is very confusing: http://kotaku.com/a-helpful-guide-to-bloodbornes-confusing-multiplayer-op-1693582137

I think the process is trying to evoke a feeling of unknowable cosmic horror.

Oh, there's a "password" you can set in Network settings, and if you do that, you will ONLY match up with people who have the same password.  That's how you make sure you're playing with your friends, or an organized group. 

Yeah I actually knew that but also PSN is probably the best way to communicate for purposes of setting up said password 'cause my PC and TV are in separate rooms!

Also! What's the level limit on helping people kill bosses, for example. Like if I am level 45 would I still reasonably be able to help people fight VA or BSB (or the witches but who'd need help for them hah). EDIT: It's probably the same as what Bjorn already said isn't it. I'm dumb. Shut up your face!

For Chalice Dungeons, I think you still need to be in the same dungeon. When you generate one, you have to then set it to be publicly available, and then someone can either try to find it with a search menu or generate with a "Glyph," which is the generation seed of that dungeon. I don't think having a password in that case will matter much, because there will presumably only be one or two other people even eligible for co-op.

Yeah, sounds that way, here's the instructions from one of the wikis:

• In order to Co Op a Chalice Dungeon you must have created the Chalice of that Dungeon yourself at least once. You CANNOT join Chalice Dungeons that are using Chalices you have not yet acquired and made.
  • You can Co Op with a friend by giving them your Chalice Glyph or by them giving you theirs and entering it in at a Ritual Altar in Hunter's Dream.
  • All Chalice Dungeons can be Co Oped, but only some can be PvPed. In order for PvP in a Chalice Dungeon, the player must have created or joined a Dungeon that was made using a Root Chalice or a Sinister Chalice. There is one Sinister Chalice of each type: Pthumeru, Hintertomb, Loran and Isz.
  • It is important to remember that only the host's progress is saved, so in order to clear the entire dungeon you will have to take turns hosting and being summoned. Summoned players vanish after each boss is defeated.
  • Once you have defeated the last boss of the Lower Hintertomb Chalice, you will receive the Short Ritual Root Chalice which can be used at the Makeshift Altar in Hunter's Dream. This will allow you to quick search for Chalice Dungeons to join as the guest, host or invader. You can use the Short Ritual Root Chalice Co-Op search feature with a password (to help connect to the desired target) to be summoned in their dungeon at ANY layer they are in. Whatever chalice they are in gets placed at the Makeshift Altar, granting you a FREE dungeon to go through from the start if you wish. You can remove the chalice that is placed in the Makeshift Altar and begin your Co-Op search anew for any other people who you may want to help. In addition Co-Op through the SRRC method has a chance of placing you in a completely random room of the dungeon.
  • In order for this to work the Chalice Dungeon must be SHARED AND OPEN (not Closed)

So we have to finish the first dungeon before we can do passworded dungeons? Unless I'm reading that wrong?

EDIT: Oh Hintertomb isn't even the first dungeon. Dang.

So we have to finish the first dungeon before we can do passworded dungeons? Unless I'm reading that wrong?

EDIT: Oh Hintertomb isn't even the first dungeon. Dang.

The Hintertomb chalice it's talking about allows you to co-op any dungeon at any depth without spending resources.  But before that, you can co-op any dungeon for which you have the chalice and have opened the dungeon associated with it at least once.  So after the BSB, you could co-op the first Phtumera dungeon, since you'd have the materials to open it right off the bat.  That Hintertomb chalice just makes co-oping easier at later levels.

For all I know this is obvious, and I never looked at the buttons on the notebook screen, but

.  I had seen the gestures, but had assumed that I was missing some groovy item to do it. 

Genius:

vsuyqjX.jpg

Bloodborne truly is the Vagrant Story successor I've been waiting for. Granted I've only been waiting since 2013 but still.

Basically coop in Chalice dungeons is so awkward it's not worth doing for what amounts to like 30 mins of play time. Could they have made it any more complicated?