melmer

Bloodborne (Dark Souls 2 successor (Dark Souls successor (Demon's Souls successor)))

Huh, I blew all my insight on armour sets and bells. Kinda wish I'd held onto it to see what happens.

This game is actually making it hard for me to sleep, not because I'd rather be playing (well partially because of that) but because its friggin creepy! 

The same...except hard to work rather than sleep. Your point is pretty good, I disagree with the thumbs assessment that the setting is less good than the souls games because it's over-the-top crazy Victorian. The medieval fantasy setting was not scary. Ever. Moving through churches with a grey sky and seeing a beast's eyes in the distance creeps me the fuck out. I've had more moments in Bloodborne where I've shouted "OH FUCK!" as I've gone around a corner than in any Souls game. That's not because there are more jump scares, it's because I'm far more tense due to the environment and art design (and not holding up a shield constantly). 

You can stagger enemies into a visceral attack with throwing knives, including bosses.  *mind blown again*

I went out for a few drinks with friends tonight, and when I got home I thought it would be a bad idea to play my main, so I made a new character to build towards some of the other equipment I've found.  I stocked up on a bunch of cheap knives and Molotovs for the Cleric Beast, and managed to stagger and then visceral it just chucking knives while waiting for an opening to attack.  Also, knowing about backstabs, the Father was a cakewalk. 

Using the music box to stun him in human form let me saunter around to his backside, heavy strike and then visceral him for about a quarter of his health. 

Backstabs in general made the opening section a bunch easier, several of the enemies I found most challenging are able to be snuck up on.

What is

The music box?

Oh man the knives thing will be useful, especially poison knives for synergy.

Although, I've been eschewing parries/visceral attacks in favour of using Ludwig's Holy (great) Sword; the move set on that is just divine. I'm not entirely sure if I prefer it to the hammer, but the charge attack is fantastic for enemies that are nicely stacked up in a line.

The combination of moves on that thing (Ludwig's) is amazing on paper, but it has slightly less range than I'd want it to and for the windup it has. I prefer the axe in its extended mode. For a particular boss I also found its overhead running attack to be just the right thing, because what I needed to hit tended to be a bit off the ground.

Regarding your spoiler

It's an item you can get to use in the Father Gascoigne fight to stun him, but it also makes him transform into a beast faster.

Re: spoiler -

I don't know anything about it transforming him into a beast faster, but it does work on his beast form in addition to the human form. You get it from a girl at the top of a ladder near one of the shortcut gates in Central Yharnam.

Yeah, early on, I picked up on a red lantern signifying doors/windows you can talk to, but I never noticed the one right next to

the Central Yarhnam lamp post. You should talk to that guy a couple times.

Re: Spoiler - 

Oh man I never new about the music box! Oh god that makes that fight a whole lot easier, but story-wise worse. If you really want to feel miserable,

there's an item on top of a roof in that boss area which you can get by climbing up the steps and falling down. Then give it to the child. Imminent sadness ahead.

Yeah, early on, I picked up on a red lantern signifying doors/windows you can talk to, but I never noticed the one right next to

the Central Yarhnam lamp post. You should talk to that guy a couple times.

That's actually one of the things I wanted to build a character around...

going for an arcane build and elemental damage. That flamethrower is mean with a couple of levels in it and some points in Arcane.

Re: Spoiler - 

Oh man I never new about the music box! Oh god that makes that fight a whole lot easier, but story-wise worse. If you really want to feel miserable,

there's an item on top of a roof in that boss area which you can get by climbing up the steps and falling down. Then give it to the child. Imminent sadness ahead.

There is so much more sadness there than you know.  So much.  If you hadn't found the next part...

Go back to the sewers and kill the boar down there.

Wow, I missed a lot in Yarnham. I honestly felt lost most of the time in that area. It all looks so similar to me that I couldn't even find my way back through a short cut I made. 

I hope I can just go back and I've not missed out on any NPC conversations.

Weird! I found Yarnham to be really very unique and memorable. I could easily map things out.

There is so much more sadness there than you know.  So much.  If you hadn't found the next part...

Go back to the sewers and kill the boar down there.

Huh, I did that, but I can't remember what I got from there :/ or

do I have to do it after I've talked to the kid

Wow, I missed a lot in Yarnham. I honestly felt lost most of the time in that area. It all looks so similar to me that I couldn't even find my way back through a short cut I made. 

I hope I can just go back and I've not missed out on any NPC conversations.

As far as I know there are three people (windows/doors) in Central Yarnham that have something you can do with them.  If you don't want to hunt for them all by yourself, they are:

Guy right next to Central Yarnham lamp

Girl at window next to shortcut gate that goes into the fountain courtyard with dude beating on the big doors

Old woman who has a dog barking at her door the first time you go by (right before one of the entrances to the sewer)

My first time though Yarnham, I found it super disorienting.  But now that I've run through it bunches of times farming vials/bullets, I know it really well.

Weird! I found Yarnham to be really very unique and memorable. I could easily map things out.

Huh, I did that, but I can't remember what I got from there :/ or

do I have to do it after I've talked to the kid

You have to...

go back and kill it again after having either given her the jewel or sent her to the church.  Either will trigger the next event.  I gave her the jewel with my first character, and sent her to the church with another.  If you were curious, the jewel does convert to a gem for your weapons, but it's not amazing, I'm sure I will replace it within an hour or two of play. 

Bug fix went up yesterday, mainly to address the progression break caused by Forbidden Woods multiplayer. It didn't fix my elevator.

So I went ahead and played through the next story area (Mensis). It does a great job of waiting just a little too long to give you a shortcut, and then unwinding that tension with a trip back to the lantern. The boss, Micolash, isn't too hard, but got a bit tedious because he just isn't a challenge until his final phase, when he can kill you in a careless heartbeat and you have to go through the motions of the fight over a few more times.

I explored a bit further, and then, heavy with around 90000 echoes, I decided that, hey, I've dealt with this type of tough enemy before, I'll kill this one and make my way back to the lant- WHAT IT HAS A GRAB ATTACK OH NO WHY DID I DO THIS?!? I saved and quit, so next time I play I'll see if I can recover those echoes. The grab itself was much more of a gentle gnawing, but the thing has a frenzy aura, and it held on just long enough to make it a bad time.

I explored a bit further, and then, heavy with around 90000 echoes, I decided that, hey, I've dealt with this type of tough enemy before, I'll kill this one and make my way back to the lant- WHAT IT HAS A GRAB ATTACK OH NO WHY DID I DO THIS?!? I saved and quit, so next time I play I'll see if I can recover those echoes. The grab itself was much more of a gentle gnawing, but the thing has a frenzy aura, and it held on just long enough to make it a bad time.

Sorry, but I loled hard at that.  Mostly because I know that feeling so well.  Two nights ago I was in the Forbidden Forest, had been being really careful.  Found a ravine with a couple of big enemies in the bottom of it.  Looked around, didn't see anything else, so figured I'd just firebomb them to death from above.  Got ready to chuck the first molotov and SOME MOTHERFUCKER JUST PUNCHED ME IN THE BACK OF THE HEAD, OH GOD, I'M DOWN IN THE RAVINE, NONONONONONONONO.

So I opened up several news stories to read this morning, including this interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki, which I'm sure I found that link on these forums, and now I can't find what thread it was linked in.  It's a fabulous interview. 

His position has, in fact, brought unexpected benefits. “I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before,” he says. “I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” In researching the architecture of Bloodborne, Miyazaki and the team visited Romania and the Czech Republic, drinking in their gothic grandeur. But he’s taken inspiration from closer to home, too. “Now I’m president,” he says, “I get to meet a lot of other company presidents. They’re such weird people. I’m fascinated by them.” With a smile, he adds: “I use some of them as enemy characters in our games.”

What level were you at when you did the Forbidden Woods? I'm there, level 55 atm and sitting on almost five level ups worth of souls, I don't want to overlevel too much.

I am mid-50s, though I'll probably be 60 before I get it finished.  I don't know how much you can over level in this.  Co-op matchmaking is generous from what I understand (+/- 10 levels + 10 percent of your current level).  So at 55, you could co-op with levels 40-70.  And your gear is still going to be gated by upgrade materials, so you're not going to overpower just through stats alone. 

I am in the woods at level 40 maybe 38/9. It seems pretty balanced like this.

I did some coop. It was weird, but I've always found the souls coop weird. The bosses really aren't designed around more than one player, as I helped s random kill vicar Amelia. She would turn to face one of us, who backed away (or dodged) while the other wailed on her back.

Just felt too easy, I don't understand why someone would want to summon for help. Completely breaks the design.

All right what's the trick to murdering this fucking

gunner hunter dude

he just tears me apart every time I get to him. ):

Which honestly I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have to wait 5.7 hours at the loading screen every time I died.

At least this time I made the mistake of trying to run through the

room full of explosive urns

and died before getting my echoes back so I can rush through stuff now instead of being super careful. Except I want to be super careful anyway because of that damn loading screennnnnnn.

haha all right

he jumped off

And I unlocked the sweet shortcut right outside the entrance to Old Yharnam. I don't have to fight the werewolves every time do I? I haven't gone back through the shortcut yet, but werewolves are annoying (but dealable, I guess).

And I bought that key. And I upgraded my axe the final time and finally put the gemstones in it. And I got a weapon

rifle spear???

I can't use cause my bloodtinge is... 7. Hah. SOUNDS COOL, THOUGH??

So I guess I'll be fighting Old Yharnam's boss soon? Feels like it's about time?

fun gameeeeeeeeee

Yeah, it got me the first time I saw it. It will become clear with Insight/story progression.

I followed the right hand path at the cathedral, and there's a similar Magic at the end of that path. I decided to see what would happen if it touched me.

It's pretty freaky, so I'd love to know what you see with insight

a big horrible monster hand trying to pick you up, right?

Yeah, it got me the first time I saw it. It will become clear with Insight/story progression.

It's related to Insight? I figured it was the green stone thing you get from a guy in Hemwick. Also, I still get grabbed even after I went through the pain of killing that thing which I thought was weird.

Are the stat soft caps known yet? I hit 26 strength and noticed that my weapon damage isn't going up as much as if I put points into skill (using Ludwig's Holy Sword). 

It'd make sense if 25 is the soft cap, but it seems really low. 

I tested out the whip too. Why is this weapon not amazingly popular? You get the use both forms with the gun! That's amazing. I also got a rune that heals 200 HP on a visceral attack. That seems borderline broken considering how easy it is to get visceral attacks off. 

It's related to Insight? I figured it was the green stone thing you get from a guy in Hemwick. Also, I still get grabbed even after I went through the pain of killing that thing which I thought was weird.

Both play a part. The stone changes how it reacts. Insight effects what you can see.

I tested out the whip too. Why is this weapon not amazingly popular? You get the use both forms with the gun! That's amazing.

I love the whip. Once you internalize the range and timing, you can do insane crowd control with it.