Badfinger

Idle Food - Cooking!

Dibs I'm mad about the ketchup near your steak, but admiring and slightly jealous of most of your other foodstuffs.

What in the world is cricket powder?

I think it is like sea monkeys, you just add water and the next morning you will have crickets.

(Poking around the web, it looks like a protien-ful replacement for flours and the like).

Also, i only use a leeeeetle ketchup for the steak, it was mostly for the potato.

I'm pretty curious what your experiences with it are, I'd probably be willing to give it a shot. 

Badfinger: This is my favourite vegetarian recipe. Obviously, you won't be able to get the spice mix, but the ingredients are black pepper, cloves and Garam Masala.

Make it vegan by substituting oil for the butter (which i always do).

I also make a noodle salad with peanut sauce:

Rice vermicelli, soaked as per packet, and drained really well.

Sugarsnap peas (or something nice and crunchy and green, tender stem broccoli is good).

Toasted cashews                                            

Corriander leaves (cilantro), enough to make it kinda leafty. Sub in some mint either, or rocket (arugula)

Sweet pepper chopped into thin slices

Spring onions sliced

Peanut Sauce (it is pretty simple, caus this is usually a 11.30 before bed job to have for lunch the next day!)

Peanut butter (i like crunchy)

A little soy

Chilli sauce

grated garlic and ginger, just a little to taste

A little hot water.

Mix all the ingredients for the sauce, it will seem like the peanut butter will stay a lump, but stir it for a minute and it will come apart. Add extra water to make as liquid as you like, it will thicken on cooling as well.

Mix all the noodle ingredients and apply sauce liberally. Keep back some of the leaves and onion if you want to sprinkle on top after to make it look pretty, though nothing with peanut sauce ever really looks pretty:P

If you want this as a lunch then let the noodles cool before assembling. Also, pack the sauce separate as it can separate a little, just give it a stir before mixing into the salad.

I made challah with my cricket powder! It was a little dense, so I'll have to figure that out if I make it again, but the flavor was really good. The cricket powder added a kind of nutty flavor, so it was just honey nut bread.

Next attempt: Pancakes! Just can't decide if I want to try some kind of savory pancake -- like a crepe batter that's even more finicky or a Korean pancake -- or just do good ole breakfast...

Inspired by a duck dish i saw on a site the other night, and going wildly off piste with some pork belly, I had braised pork belly with crackling, tenderstem broccoli and some rice. Friends brought some Gu Chocolate pots for delicious finisher.

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

slack_for_ios_upload_1024.png

My potato opinion is that potatoes rule and you should eat them! What a tuber!

I love Achewood and I miss Achewood. I love it so much I bought the Achewood cookbook, which apart from the obvious joke recipes is surprisingly strong!

The Omega Potato (stolen directly from Recipes For A Man Or A Lady)

3/4 lb Russet Potato (starchy potatoes are better for baking)

Preheat your oven to 500

Wash your potato

Do not do anything else to the potato before assaulting it with heat

Put it directly on an oven rack for 45 minutes per side (90m total)

Remove from oven, cut open, potato. The recipe recommends a little olive oil and some salt, which is amazing. If you just want to dress up the potato any other way, it's your potato! If you tuck in within 5 minutes of the oven it's going to be blisteringly hot (duh, cut it open) but the skin will be so incredibly crunchy. It's like a whole outside potato's worth of french fries without frying. Seriously one of the best potatoes I've ever had. The hardest part is just being willing to wait 90 minutes, or actually preparing ahead of time.

Adjust 10m per side per 1/4 pound (1/2 lb potato 35m per side).

You should prick your potato, else it might explode. Not often, but it has happened to me once.

Edit: I do my potatoes like that all the time (ref steak picture way above). It is super easy and they come out great.

All this potato talk has me craving, unfortunately my potato situation at home is weak. I have some frozen potatoes cut like fries, my plan is to chop them up into into little cubes/home fries and fry them up for breakfast tomorrow morning with some peppers, mushrooms, and cajun seasoning with eggs on top for a delicious hash. I'll report back!

I baked up some crickets tonight -- one batch just straight up and one batch with honey and chili powder.

Crickets are delicious. They're gonna be my new protein after a workout. I really strongly recommend anyone who thinks they can take the idea of eating a cricket to maybe order some -- I paid $10 for a pretty good amount, so they're not pricey.

And they're not hard to prepare. I just baked them at 200 for about an hour, then rolled them to remove the legs and antennas.

Saw this in a Pinterest email -

31bb9e1b3cdddf4a80e9018e023dfa1c.jpg

No more American food needs to be invented, this is the pinnacle.

Crickets sound interesting. As long as I can throw some soy sauce on them and eat them with rice, they seem like a good idea.

Saturday night: Beef filet cooked sous vide for 4 hours at 133F with rosemary and sliced onion, then seared in butter. Also baked potato and caesar salad.

I ate it too fast to take a picture.

My in-laws bought me a vacuum sealer, which is the first step to getting a sous vide system setup. I'm thinking about getting one of the $200 immersion heaters next month.

Which one are you looking at? I'm thinking about grabbing one of Anova's, but I honestly can't tell much difference between the competition.

Wirecutter still recommends the Anova but I've heard a tone of good things about the Sansaire as well. The fact that the Sansaire is incredibly quiet might tip the balance, but I don't know.

I have the Anova, and noise is its one shortcoming. It's not loud, but it's not quiet either. I use it in an old styrofoam cooler with a cutout for it in the lid, though, so it's pretty quiet in the end. Plus, no evaporation.

Do you have the V1 or the new Precision Cooker? The new one is quieter but also takes 1.5x - 2x as long to warm up.

Edit: Apparently that's due to the new Anova using an 800w element instead of 1100w, which they changed due to problems tripping breakers in under-wired kitchens, which my apartment might qualify for. Definitely leaning that way.