melmer

Star Wars VII - Open spoilers

I think another sibling story would be kinda lame. Also the main character in every movie has been a Skywalker and I'm not sure Kylo Ren counts.

One idea I heard was that she was in training at Luke's academy at a very early age, but doesn't have any memory of that. Maybe Luked dumped her on Jakku when he went off to do his thing.

I'm hoping he saw a huge potential in her and knew she'd come for him when she found the force (which is why R2 activated when she finally stepped foot on the rebel base to give them the final piece of the puzzle). I agree, I super don't want her to by a skywalker. 

Spoiler-free thoughts!

Man alive, was I thrilled to see women and people of color in classic action-hero roles. I loved Leia in the original movies - she was a leader and could fight, so there's no shade to be thrown there, but this is a huge step forward. It didn't feel like an afterthought or any kind of gross pandering, just - here are your heroes.

With a movie this huge - that's incredible. 

The movie itself was a bit too self-indulgent, but entertaining and well-made. If Star Trek: Into Darkness was JJ Abrams shitty remix of a beloved sci-fi classic, this is his mostly-awesome remix of a beloved sci-fi classic.

- Sitting in the theater, I thought everyone would see Han's death from about six miles away, but there were a lot of gasps of surprise. I mean, REALLY? The more screen time he had - and I'm glad he did, it did justice to the character - the more I figured his death was sealed. Stepping out onto the Bespin-ass catwalk was pretty obvious.

- I felt straight-up distracted and even tired by how much pure fan service was in the movie. It felt like there was something in every single frame that was a direct, winking reference to the older movies. Everything from the trashcan droid in the bg of one scene to all the "here's the new cantina scene! And here's the new death star scene!" etc.) was distracting, and I do wish the creators had a wee bit more confidence in making their own movie. They had all the ingredients, and they did well - no need to lean THAT heavily on fan service.

- On that point, it was good! I liked it! It's going to make me actually want to go play battlefront tonight and discuss all of the finer points of the film in great, great detail with my family at Christmas. A fine return to form, and a fantastic welcome to the new-and-vastly-improved cast. (improved over the prequels, not the originals, although, honestly... this crew may well overtake them).

Woof, gang, I did not like this movie.

Everything in the first act is do super well. The introduction of Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc is fantastic. The second Han Solo (super conveniently!) shows up though, everything started to tank for me. JJ Abrams just cannot let story points rest and the back 2/3 of this movie are paced so frantically that I never felt like I had time to invest in what was happening. Han's confrontation with Kylo should have been a hugely emotional moment, but the movie had done such a bad job of establishing their relationship that I didn't really anything outside of being sad that Han Solo died. I needed more time on that and less time on the b-level Death Star plot.

There was no way that I was going to like this movie more than the OT, but I was hoping that Abrams would have done a better job with the material. He almost did! Again, I thought the first act was great.

Woof, gang, I did not like this movie.

Everything in the first act is do super well. The introduction of Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc is fantastic. The second Han Solo (super conveniently!) shows up though, everything started to tank for me. JJ Abrams just cannot let story points rest and the back 2/3 of this movie are paced so frantically that I never felt like I had time to invest in what was happening. Han's confrontation with Kylo should have been a hugely emotional moment, but the movie had done such a bad job of establishing their relationship that I didn't really anything outside of being sad that Han Solo died. I needed more time on that and less time on the b-level Death Star plot.

There was no way that I was going to like this movie more than the OT, but I was hoping that Abrams would have done a better job with the material. He almost did! Again, I thought the first act was great.

Han Solo 2.0 felt like a character I'm supposed to care about because he's the new Han Solo, even though they never give him any character whatsoever. It was a weird choice, especially since I don't even remember the guy's name! That's actually a pretty big problem I had with most of the movie -- it's a movie about the things that are happening, which are all poorly explained and glossed over, more than the people who are caught up in it.

The back 2/3 of the movie felt like constant escalation. I had no time to get invested in one set of stakes before suddenly, oh no it's worse!!! And a lot of the stakes were needlessly artificial -- like New Han outright stating to everyone where they should feel the tension coming from ("Remember, everyone: As long as the sun's there, we still have a chance!" Of course that means at some point, someone -- namely Rey, who was never told about the whole sun thing -- is going to look up worriedly at the sun as it's nearly completely snuffed out of existence so the audience can really be told how to feel, just in case they didn't get it in the war room -- where stakes were hastily constructed -- or the proceeding scenes). It was just a poorly constructed, rushed action movie for the back end of the movie.

Great while it's still on Jakku, mostly. Then it just goes to hell.

In short: Agreed.

And a lot of the stakes were needlessly artificial -- like New Han outright stating to everyone where they should feel the tension coming from ("Remember, everyone: As long as the sun's there, we still have a chance!" Of course that means at some point, someone -- namely Rey, who was never told about the whole sun thing -- is going to look up worriedly at the sun as it's nearly completely snuffed out of existence so the audience can really be told how to feel, just in case they didn't get it in the war room -- where stakes were hastily constructed -- or the proceeding scenes). It was just a poorly constructed, rushed action movie for the back end of the movie.

Oh, I haaated that line. It felt like he was talking directly to the audience, it took me out of the moment.

I think the movie could've done without the super weapon and a giant space battle at the end. Have a small space battle if you need to, but it was so superfluous. They inserted that other plotline with the superweapon in there just to blow it up, it wasn't central to the movie in any way.

So remember when

the planet was blown up, there was a shot of a bustling metropolis as annihilation approached, and an intense zoom to close up on a uniformed young woman who was both introduced and killed off in the same moment?

Theories, speculations? Something for another film to explore, or something left on the cutting room floor .. er, hard drive?

So remember when

the planet was blown up, there was a shot of a bustling metropolis as annihilation approached, and an intense zoom to close up on a uniformed young woman who was both introduced and killed off in the same moment?

Theories, speculations? Something for another film to explore, or something left on the cutting room floor .. er, hard drive?

I thought the implication was that it was supposed to be Coruscant? Because that was presumably the seat of the new Republic? But, Um, maybe not because it didn't look the way Coruscant usually looks, so I dunno...

I thought the implication was that it was supposed to be Coruscant? Because that was presumably the seat of the new Republic? But, Um, maybe not because it didn't look the way Coruscant usually looks, so I dunno...

On one hand I do too, but on the other I'm glad they're staying away from the politics. They should've had a scene like the one in ANH where Tarkin talks about dissolving the senate and so on though. Give it three minutes at least.

Anyway, a slightly flawed movie for sure.

That article addresses my largest gripe: the plot is too nebulous for me to understand or care. I agree on Argobot's points, but I guess I was a little more forgiving.

But yeah, Snoke & the badguys were mostly awful and unexplained.

In a lot of ways, this felt like the most expensive fan film ever made.

I don't want to be too hard on this movie, because I don't really think there could ever be a new Star Wars movie that would really satisfy me because I will never be able to watch them without my nostalgia for the original trilogy. Still, I had hopes this movie would be decent --and again, I thought the first act was super great--so my ire comes at the mishandling of a really good set up so that the movie can have its Death Star finale.

This is Star Wars directed by JJ Abrams, and I personally do not care for Abrams style of big characters and horrible plotting. However, he did a serviceable job of laying the groundwork with our new characters and I'm really hoping that the second movie will be able take that to new and better places. Unless Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter and the second movie is just an Empire remake.

I really hope Rey is

just a random orphan because it's a big galaxy and not everyone has to be related to one of three people.

I really hope Rey is

just a random orphan because it's a big galaxy and not everyone has to be related to one of three people.

All of this sounds like Metal Gear.  Can't wait for someone to have a seizure then change voice/personality and just yell "BROTHER!"

So who else thinks that

Snoke = Jar Jar in disguise?

Don't stop believing!

Bit too far for me. Sith Binks is what should have happened in II and makes more sense than I's terrible merchandising-first approach; Kylo's helmet nozzle as Binks homage is as much as I can accept for the new trilogy though

Maisie Richardson should be replaced by Senator Jar Jar as a Blu-Ray bonus feature

Saw it last night! Didn't expect I would be able to get tickets for weeks and somehow I saw it opening weekend.

I think I liked it?

I was less bothered by some "call backs" because they were also call forwards. I'd like to think that even though Disney dumped all over it, they took some cues from EU stuff.

-Starkiller is a reference to EU.

-Fuck Mag Pulse forever.

-TIE Fighters don't have hyperdrives or shields, how else did Finn think they were going to get away besides going back to the planet?

-I had no sense that one of the planets being blown up was Coruscant? None of them was a completely industrialized world (unless I just missed it terribly). Someone clue me in to where that assumption everyone has but me came from?

- My very first thought was Rey is Kylo Ren's twin, but that's borne from the EU where Han and Leia had force sensitive twins being trained by Luke. You would hope they remembered they had a daughter on Jakku though or they're the double worst parents of all time. Second guess is she's Luke's daughter. My gf assumes she's a Skywalker.

-The end of the movie didn't leave me happy. The celebration scene was really hollow.

- ONE SQUADRON OF X-WINGS AGAINST A PLANET? THERE WERE MORE X-WINGS ON THEIR STUPID SUCKY BASE AND THEY JUST CHOSE NOT TO SCRAMBLE THEM I GUESS? AND SEVEN OF THEM SURVIVED A TRENCH RUN?

-I had heard months ago just from dumb internet rumor that Han died. Within 3 minutes I had a "huh no he's not" directly to "yep he gone" reaction. As soon as they turned around after getting Rey I knew he was a goner.

-They very pointedly showed Kylo Ren get hurt after being distracted, which showed he could be both, so I was fine with the fight scene where he didn't win.

-I wanted him to tell Leia he loved her.

-Poe doesn't remind me of Han, he reminds me of Wedge Antilles.

-That silver stormtrooper is hell of dead, whoever wants to see more of her.

-Pretty glad to see Luke but not have him talk.

-YO THAT IS LUKE'S LIGHTSABER FROM CLOUD CITY HOW THE FUCK DID IT END UP IN A TRUNK?

Oh also

This is Harrison Ford's best role in nearly two decades. I did hear he was quite good in 42, although I haven't seen it yet.

Saw it last night! Didn't expect I would be able to get tickets for weeks and somehow I saw it opening weekend.

I think I liked it?

I was less bothered by some "call backs" because they were also call forwards. I'd like to think that even though Disney dumped all over it, they took some cues from EU stuff.

-Starkiller is a reference to EU.

-Fuck Mag Pulse forever.

-TIE Fighters don't have hyperdrives or shields, how else did Finn think they were going to get away besides going back to the planet?

-I had no sense that one of the planets being blown up was Coruscant? None of them was a completely industrialized world (unless I just missed it terribly). Someone clue me in to where that assumption everyone has but me came from?

- My very first thought was Rey is Kylo Ren's twin, but that's borne from the EU where Han and Leia had force sensitive twins being trained by Luke. You would hope they remembered they had a daughter on Jakku though or they're the double worst parents of all time. Second guess is she's Luke's daughter. My gf assumes she's a Skywalker.

-The end of the movie didn't leave me happy. The celebration scene was really hollow.

- ONE SQUADRON OF X-WINGS AGAINST A PLANET? THERE WERE MORE X-WINGS ON THEIR STUPID SUCKY BASE AND THEY JUST CHOSE NOT TO SCRAMBLE THEM I GUESS? AND SEVEN OF THEM SURVIVED A TRENCH RUN?

-I had heard months ago just from dumb internet rumor that Han died. Within 3 minutes I had a "huh no he's not" directly to "yep he gone" reaction. As soon as they turned around after getting Rey I knew he was a goner.

-They very pointedly showed Kylo Ren get hurt after being distracted, which showed he could be both, so I was fine with the fight scene where he didn't win.

-I wanted him to tell Leia he loved her.

-Poe doesn't remind me of Han, he reminds me of Wedge Antilles.

-Yo that silver stormtrooper is hell of dead, whoever wants to see more of her.

-Pretty glad to see Luke but not have him talk.

-YO THAT IS LUKE'S LIGHTSABER FROM CLOUD CITY HOW THE FUCK DID IT END UP IN A TRUNK?

This being JJ Abrams, the creator of Lost, I don't really expect any of this to ever get explained.

Yeah but he became more powerful than Vader could ever imagine.

I'm seeing this tomorrow. Still half expecting to be disappointed.

Hello idle forums! I saw Star Wars and properly loved it. I saw it at midnight and there were many cheers and whoops from the audience and it was all very exciting! I thought the characters were fantastic and the dialogue was mostly great but what I loved most were all the creatures and aliens. They were so spot on, I can't wait to get the blu rey and pause it a thousand times during some of the more heavily populated scenes just to see all the weird guys that are hanging out in the background of this movie. I recently rewatched episode one and while I like a lot of the spaceship designs it struck me that a lot of the aliens and incidental characters just look a bit rubbish. Like mostly the kinds of things you'd doodle as a 13 year old and think looked really very cool but when you look back they just look kind of bad. But in episode seven they are so good! That guy that rides that mechanical four legged thing in the dessert? Amazing. Good movie!!

:tup:

Back to obi wan ghost

that was something that was quite heavily used in the original films, Luke having mater of fact conversions with a living ghost, and not like "I'm getting weaker... Final words" ghost. He's always around and available for a chat kinda ghost. So maybe Lukes been hanging out with Obi ghost these past 40 years... Maybe even helping him train up the new Jedi. Pretty lonely on that island otherwise.

Bring on the ghosts in episode VIII I say. Yoda ghost, he's sure to pop up so they can make new Yoda toys.

Maybe Anakin ghost will appear to Kylo Ren to say "you've fucked up son"

Oh and

Simon Pegg

alien in the metal apron, "one half potion", that guy

Daniel Craig

stromtroop who frees Rey with the mind trick, "and drop your blaster"