Sign in to follow this  
melmer

Assassins Creed Unity

P'raps the title is directly related to a high level concept pitch fairly early on that references the unity of single player experiences in a co-op multiplayer format as each player is presented with the fiction that the other(s) are wingmen to their own heroic adventure.

So, I'm sorely tempted by the Xbox One bundle with Black Flag and Unity. I simultaneously do and don't have the money for it (IE, I have a credit card,) and I don't really need more games to play right now (steam backlog is 100+ games, and I have the last year of PS+ games as well.) 

Someone please get this and tell me you hate it.

Good news everyone! Ubisoft found a way to integrate World War II into that boring-ass French revolution setting. Can't wait for that Eiffel Tower turret sequence!

Unbelievable. What is it about Ubisoft Montreal that compels them to so consistently and aggressively fuck up an otherwise exceptional historical action adventure game?

After AC Pirates and their weird meta game-design studio business (and abandoning sadsack dimwit Desmond), I was real optimistic for this new game. *sigh*

I'm so excited when I finally get to playing Assassin's Creed III, and then maybe Unity a good five years from now.

I'm so excited when I finally get to playing Assassin's Creed III, and then maybe Unity a good five years from now.

Consider skipping No. 3. I **love** this series, flaws and all – finished every single one of them, happily – up until 3, which I bailed on maybe 1/3 of the way through. Capital-N capital-G Not Good.

Ubisoft has decided to part ways with Valve for the time being:

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/ubisoft-removes-upcoming-pc-games-from-steam/1100-5078/

I realize this probably doesn't mean much in the scheme of things--after all, you had to install UPlay even for games purchased on Steam--but it really brings into focus Ubisoft's tondeafness with regards to PC gaming.

That is a fantastically dumb thing to do. I don't understand that business decision at all. You can't rival Steam as an ecosystem, your platform garners mostly scorn and contempt, so the only possible outcome for this is that you push away PC customers for your games.

That is a fantastically dumb thing to do. I don't understand that business decision at all. You can't rival Steam as an ecosystem, your platform garners mostly scorn and contempt, so the only possible outcome for this is that you push away PC customers for your games.

I agree that it's dumb. Is Ubisoft stuck in its own little bubble, thinking that Valve's a company and Ubisoft's a company, so it's simple for the latter to make a product to compete with the former? Or is there some evidence that Origin's working out for EA on the PC? It's certainly not working among anyone I know, but all my friends are in their late twenties and early thirties, with a hostility to putting their name and credit card info into yet another "universal" digital platform, so I'm willing to concede that they're not representative.

Wow. I though Ubisoft was trying to turn a corner on this garbage for the last couple of years, but now they've taken their ball and sulked on home. I'm not a big Steam fan - I want Steam to have more competition - but Uplay absolutely can not compete with the quality they are offering at the moment, and competition only works if the consumer actually has a choice.

I already refused to purchase Ubisoft games on through Steam due to having to have UPlay installed as well, so no change for me.

True that you needed UPlay anyway, but it was somewhere else to purchase from and some people would have wanted Steam integration. Doesn't matter now because they already changed their mind and it is back on Steam again. Cool I guess... I wonder if any of this was really Ubisoft's ideal choice, or maybe some dispute with Valve.

Or maybe Ubisoft is just run by baboons.

It has to be a business decision motivated on margins. As you said, you need UPlay even if you purchase the game on Steam.

Ubisoft probably thought they were King Shit enough to cut Valve out of the loop.

So that whole international removal thing was a mistake, now corrected, but the UK part was supposed to happen. Oddly, they did the same on the UK store back in 2012, when it took about 2 weeks for AC 3 to finally appear.

Some Ubisoft games disappeared a year or two back from Estonian and other Eastern European Steam stores. I remember Far Cry 3 or an Assassin's Creed not being available on release. Don't see what the point is, though.

Haha wow what. That's um, that's... um. Wow.

Hmm. Wonder if they'll get away with it. That is, I wonder if they'll actually find that it makes them a significant amount of dosh.

Yiiikes. Well, the signs were on the walls. Multiple sites have put up quite critical reviews.