Dinosaursssssss

Where to Find Game Assets (Audio/Textures/Models/Etc)

I certainly don't have the skills to make models / decent textures / songs / effects, so naturally I have a few places I go to find things. Maybe other people do too? For smaller projects and game jams and such, it's really handy to have a few places to go so you can get started quick, so let's compile some places we like! I'll try and keep this post updated as people add more. And let's try to keep it legal and legitimate.

Audio:

Youtube Audio Library - Music for YouTube videos and "other content you create."

BFXR / AS3FXR - Sound effect maker

FreeSFX - Sort of random assortment of effects, my favorite of which is "Fighting Men In Water" Note: their license requires you to credit them.

Free Music Archive - TONS of great Creative Commons music, licenses all vary wildly. (You can search by license though! Also I've been going through a bunch of these and putting ones I like in a list here http://freemusicarchive.org/member/ChrisMaire/favorites/)

freesound - CC music and effects. Filterable by license.

FilmSound - Links to more effects

Incompetech - Music, requires credit

musopen - Public domain classical music

Models:

BlendSwap

Turbosquid

Textures:

CGTextures - Not allowed to be used in Second Life, as per their license?

Texturer - These ones you can totally use in Second Life.

Fonts:

Google Fonts

League of Movable Type

Other / General :

TIGSource Assemblee - A bunch of really bonkers (and I mean that in the best way) sprite sheets/textures and assorted music/effects

OpenGameArt.org - 2D/3D art, music, sound effects, and a handful of scripts/fonts. Filterable by license.

Creative Market - Icons/Images/Logos, other things (Paid)

Kenney Donation Pack - A big set of fonts/icons/tiles/sprites ($1+ donation)

Also this thread.

Oh, thank god I can use some of these textures in Second Life.

And, since I know you were wondering, you can also make a digital scrapbook with the Texturer images (unlike the ones on CGTextures)

I've used musopen.org's collection of public domain classical musics to (though I say it myself who shouldn't) great effect in several flash games over the years.

For graffix (and some musics?), you can also trawl through this giant page of sprites from the tigsource Assemblee Competition: http://www.derekyu.com/tigs/assemblee/

(That's where the sprites that were used in Realm of the Mad God came from, I believe).

Oh, thank god I can use some of these textures in Second Life.

www.freemusicarchive.org - is a great place for public domain music.

FMA is awesome but make sure you check the license on each song before using it since a lot of them require credits or no modification or have other restrictions. I'm not entirely clear on if putting a song into a game (but otherwise leaving it) counts as modifying it either.

pro tip:
When looking for reference material for a dancing-game, you can look at this chart, find what you need, and then type in the name with a body-type into google.
yoga-poses-with-names.jpg

pro tip:

last time i was in a dance battle i busted out the parivrrta janu sirsasana four and my rival crews collapsed dead on the spot, leaving me as undisputed dance champion of earth

I find I buy a good bit of stuff from Creative Market I'm using some actions and badges from there for texturing and the Kyles brush pack is excellent. All costs money though..

Oh sweet, I'm glad there are so many free audio sources, that's the one thing I absolutely cannot do myself. 

There was another site like that which had a huge pack of gun sounds I remember, I think through crowdfunding, and they were doing more stuff, trying to be the one-stop-shop for game sfx I think. Anyone run into that one?

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is digitizing their collection and making it available for non-commercial purposes.
http://www.metmuseum.org/collection/the-collection-online

I don't understand how they can claim that this stuff is still protected by copyright when it's hundreds of years old. I think its bullshit. But I'm still not going to use this stuff in a commercial endeavor. 

The Unity Asset Store is a great resource for assets if you're working on a Unity game (surprise). Even if you're not using Unity, there's a lot of good stuff up there and I think there are some command line tools you can use to extract the assets out of .unitypackage files.

Most of the stuff up there is paid, but almost all of that is extremely inexpensive. There's a lot of free stuff too!

Many unity asset store models include the fbx file which can be pulled into most 3d packages.

I've been poking through Free Music Archive to try and build up a little library of tunes I can easily throw into jam games, and while looking up license info found this page : http://creativecommons.org/legalmusicforvideos

It has a couple handy links to CC music sites, but also an interesting licensing tidbit. Obviously, I am not a lawyer, but this seemed like it'd apply to games as well, and clears up some confusion I had about Creative Commons licensing:

"Under CC licenses, synching the music to images amounts to transforming the music, so you can’t legally use a song under a CC No Derivative Works license in your video."

Also here's a fun tune I found. These guys have a couple albums up under an attribution/sharealike license so they'd be perfect for a jam game or I guess an open source commercial release?

http://freemusicarchive.org/music/The_Freak_Fandango_Orchestra/Tales_Of_A_Dead_Fish/Requiem_for_a_Fish_1403

edit: As I go through the ~2500 open license songs on here, I've noticed that I really like the stuff from the Incompetech guy (Kevin MacLeod). Most of it isn't super interesting but they're very well produced and each track feels very purposeful. For example this 80s-ass PR-person-walking-out-onto-a-stage song http://freemusicarchive.org/music/kevin_macleod/funk_sampler/presenterator