BigJKO

A Dedicated Thread For Talking About Star Trek Episodes

7 hours ago, Ben X said:

This seems like rather a strange idea, and without any further information I'm a little pessimistic, but who knows could be amazing!

I am mostly just hoping that he's coming back because he wants to do more, and not because of financial or commercial considerations, because Stewart was so bored and checked out in the last couple of Star Trek movies. The dune buggy scene in Star Trek: Nemesis was specifically included so that he could partake in his favorite hobby during shooting.

2 hours ago, Gormongous said:

The dune buggy scene in Star Trek: Nemesis was specifically included so that he could partake in his favorite hobby during shooting.

WHAT

I actually like that movie more now.

Honestly, it's perfectly human to get burned out on doing the same thing for I-don't-know-how-many years, but then be reinvigorated and enthused to do that same thing after a sabbatical. If anything, we'll get a more intense Picard than anything in Nemesis.

Like, base-jumping?

On the surface I love the idea of more Picard but I'm worried by the statements that it won't be the same Picard.  It makes sense from a story perspective given how Nemesis ended as well as from an actor perspective as I doubt Patrick Stewart would want to return only to rehash his previous performances.  What worries me is the direction the "change" will take.  It could be great but it could just as easily be a complete disaster.  I'd rather he remain the classic character he is now than some half assed attempt by CBS to justify their streaming service.

He gives the impression that Jean-Luc is going to go Last Jedi, which seems to be an (obvious) idea floating around the net. Picard has always been my favourite because he’s Mr Principles but he has never ever EVER had to compromise them. Which is fantastic, in every sense of the word. His best moments are pretty black and white - he’s 100% in the moral right and he ain’t shifting. Awesome, but it would be interesting to see his rationale in a shitty situation which only has shitty solutions.

Regardless, it’s more Picard, which makes me so happy 👍 His speech from The Drumhead made me cry a few months back. If it’s rubbish, or average, nobody’s hurt. But it could be interesting.

I understand, but I can never quite agree when people want to preserve a character or a series by not having a new version ‘taint’ the old, as if the original won’t always be there. Like with people not wanting another Twin Peaks following The Return - why the hell wouldn’t you want to see new stuff from Lynch?!? There’s always a risk it might be a turkey but that’s no reason to stop. You don’t get The Undiscovered Country without The Final Frontier. Nemesis didn’t destroy the memory of TNG, and it even had, like, two or three good bits.

And maybe Riker finally gets a shot at that chair!! 🤩