Sign in to follow this  
tegan

Night In The Woods

Night in the Woods

Is it wrong that I want this? Because I want this.

This is kind of hitting all sorts of high points for me. Gameplay sounds like a sort of Adventure Metroidvania-ish thing, female protagonist, modern urban fantasy setting, openly gay characters, distinct NPCs, really nice stylized animation, implications of spooky-ookiness... I really want to play this game. Really, I just immediately want something to do with this particular setting, cast, tone etc to exist. An indie comic, a cartoon, whatever. The fact that it's a game is just gravy.

Watching that, I got a very Bryan Lee O'Malley sort of vibe from it. Which, in my opinion, is awesome. And the characters all look so distinct and colorful. It looks beautiful.

BUT... I am a little worried about how it will play. I want something more than just some pretty indie platformer, but from what I've seen in the video thats exactly what it looks like. (Although I have to be fair, ive only seen the video, so I don't have a lot to base my views on).

Watching that, I got a very Bryan Lee O'Malley sort of vibe from it. Which, in my opinion, is awesome. And the characters all look so distinct and colorful. It looks beautiful.

BUT... I am a little worried about how it will play. I want something more than just some pretty indie platformer, but from what I've seen in the video thats exactly what it looks like. (Although I have to be fair, ive only seen the video, so I don't have a lot to base my views on).

BLOM totally came to my mind too.

As for gameplay, the greatest moment in that trailer for me was realizing that the baseball bat animation was almost certainly meant for combat but being used seamlessly here to show a jerkass twenty-something doing jerkass twenty-something things (I totally remember a coworker friend and I smashing fluorescent bulbs in the dumpster behind Blockbuster when I worked there as a teenager). If my hunch is right, it's one of the smartest things a game can do.

That looks really gorgeous and I want it inside of me.

+1 on the gameplay maybe not looking like anything special, but that's kind of a secondary concern to omg look how pretty it isssssssss

Didn't this get funded within a day or two? Well it's reached its funding goal now at any rate so I'd imagine them getting like 400%-500% by the end. Smashing stretch goals out the wazoo. If they add a PS4/Vita port I would pledge in a heart beat

Edit: FULLY FUNDED IN *26 HOURS*! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

No one told me this was a game with Alec Holowka behind it.

WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME THIS?

Fucking love Aquaria. Dang. Like a lot. DANG. Now I'm excited. I was interested before. Interest now properly upgraded to excitement.

To reign it back a bit: Of course, it's missing the other half of Aquaria (Derek Yu), but that's fine. This looks nice.

Fuck Yu! Scott Benson's art looks amazing and his style from his animated shorts has been transferred perfectly to the game. God, I want this thing.

Backed!

I was actually more concerned about losing Yu's game design prowess than his art. It's hard to tell how much influence he had or didn't have on how Aquaria felt - i.e., fantastic.

Happily backed this, the animation alone is enough to make me interested, looks gorgeous :) Wasn't the biggest fan of Aquaria, but it was obviously a good game, look forward to more.

If they add a PS4/Vita port I would pledge in a heart beat

Well it's too late to back now, but it's coming to ps4:

I'll just wait for it on playstation plus now :P kidding... Maybe

I'd be interested in hearing how the game has grown, as I believe the original idea was quite a small project and they only asked for a modest backing it ended up getting like 400% what they asked for. I'd imagine it's become a lot more "game" then they originally envisioned

What the hell does that even mean? I guess I mean they've added in "collect 100 hot dogs", which I hope to god they haven't

I'll just wait for it on playstation plus now :P kidding... Maybe

I'd be interested in hearing how the game has grown, as I believe the original idea was quite a small project and they only asked for a modest backing it ended up getting like 400% what they asked for. I'd imagine it's become a lot more "game" then they originally envisioned

What the hell does that even mean? I guess I mean they've added in "collect 100 hot dogs", which I hope to god they haven't

I might be thinking of a different Kickstarter project, but I think they made a point of saying that they didn't want to make it a bigger project than they intended, they would instead put the money into refining the game and improve areas of quality but leave scope unchanged. I had a quick check and the campaign page lists no stretch goals, so I do think it was this one.

Yeah no stretch goals was a really good call IMO. "No stretch goals" to me says "hey we pitched the thing we wanted to make. you guys throwing more money at us shouldn't change what we wanted to make" which I am totally on board with.

That is still the best tagline ever: « at the end of everything, hold onto anything »

I backed it after it'd reached the goal, and didn't realise my pledge put it over a particular landmark amount. They sent me a nice message almost instantly saying something like "Hey David, we love you (mostly platonically). Thanks so much for pushing us over [amount etc.]"

I was impressed, and am still super looking forward to it. Everything they've put out, even right from the beginning, has had such a consistent tone and vision to it.

I was a bit iffy about this one from the campaign so I only pledged a dollar; enough to get the updates and decide later if I want to splurge for the full game. It didn't take me very long to make the decision that I'm definitely going to be buying it when it's released. All the updates have been interesting, but the Longest Night mini-game was utterly beautiful.

WOW, this looks beautiful! I'll definitely keep an eye on it to see how it turns out :). Ludicrous levels of charm are no longer enough for this jaded beastie :D

Some coverage:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/11/you-can-never-go-home-night-in-the-woods/

http://killscreendaily.com/articles/charming-melancholy-night-woods-picks-where-gone-home-left/

don't really tell anything you wouldn't already know if you've been following the game.

oh also this report-from-e3 comment from Scott:

- Had a really long conversation with this dude who spent 30 minutes or so doing everything possible in the game. Turns out he was the lead programmer on Grim Fandango. He loved our game! He actually had some super thoughtful and useful design feedback too.
- Several people from an unnamed AAA studio whose game from last year was prominent on a good many year end lists came by at different points. Weirdly enough they all individually told us that this is the game they wish they were making instead. That was really nice of them to say but totally weird that they all were from the same place and said the same thing.

- We have to stand all day. Our goal day 2 is finding places to sit nearby because ouch.