Sign in to follow this  
ysbreker

Being in a cleaning mood isn't good for my keyboard

Behold! The one and only idlethumbs keyboard :)

idle-keyboard.png

This is what happens when I clean my keyboard and read too much idlethumbs.net :)

At least you can now type 'idlethumbs' or 'IDLETHUMBS' faster than anyone else.ASDFGHJK!

It is a bit hard to type with tho :) Under the custom keymap there's still a qwerty layout.

I would just like to point out that he would in fact be the slowest person to type 'Idle Thumbs' on account of the fact that although the keys have been rearranged, the intricate alphabetic sheet of magic plastic with wires in it known as the inside bit has not changed. Therefore, any attempt to type 'idlethumbs' would be promptly met with the result 'asdfghjkl;'

Man, I do so love pissing on parades.

EDIT: Oh, looks like he already pissed on his own parade. What is with that? Since I got back, this has happened to me threeish times.

if you'd give an american/english/non-german keyboard to me i wouldn't freak out because of the idlethumbs-thingie, but i would destroy it because of y and z and the missing ö, ä, ü and all these <, >, ;, ,,...

brrrrrrrr

But who cleans his or her keyboard any more, honestly? You just throw it away and get a new one...

What I usually do is wait until my keyboard is so dirty it just has to be cleaned, take the cover off to give it a proper clean, and end up completely fucking it up and making it useless and end up throwing it away.

I would just like to point out that he would in fact be the slowest person to type 'Idle Thumbs' on account of the fact that although the keys have been rearranged, the intricate alphabetic sheet of magic plastic with wires in it known as the inside bit has not changed. Therefore, any attempt to type 'idlethumbs' would be promptly met with the result 'asdfghjkl;'

You are so smart.

Usually I spill a drink all over it, ruining the contacts so that it types everything totally wrong. It's like the keyboard itself has got drunk and is slurring its words. Then I find a replacement buried deep in the garage. The one I'm using right now is missing loads of letters on the keys, probably as its suffered from fingertip-sweat over time. It's actually survived a water spillage, though it was close. Anything stickier and you're screwed, I reckon.

the keyboard still works perfectly, except for the right windows key, which I never use anyway :)

I took out all the keys, and unscrewed the back and completely disassembled it. washed all the keys and the casing. dried everything of again. and put everything back together again. Voila: a squeky clean idlethumbs keyboard :)

A good old pat on the back, is all I do to keep my keyboard clean.

--Erwin

I did that at one point and a huge HUGE dead spider fell out. I have no idea how it got in there, or how it fell out come to think of it. It was gross and super freaky. Now I live in denial and just let my keyboard get really nasty.

Man, I've had bugs fall out of my keyboard before. Pretty fucking gross.

I did that at one point and a huge HUGE dead spider fell out. I have no idea how it got in there, or how it fell out come to think of it. It was gross and super freaky. Now I live in denial and just let my keyboard get really nasty.

YUCK! So that spider crawled in there one night, and the next day it was slowly killed as you hit key after key after key... Squishing everything. Ewwww!!!

--Erwin

Too bad my Logitech keyboard prevents me from completely randomizing key placement. The F and J keys have different sockets, as does the 5 key on the numpad. The bastards...

Man, I've had bugs fall out of my keyboard before. Pretty fucking gross.

Really? I don't think I want to live in San Francisco anymore.

Really? I don't think I want to live in San Francisco anymore.

No, no, no, he lives in BERKELEY! And if there's one thing anyone knows about Berkeley, it's full of bugs ;)

Look, wherever. Jake, Jake lives in San Francisco. Or just outside it. It seems pretty obvious to me that the vermin seem to radiate from the general San Francisco area. I've never heard of so many people being attacked or infiltrated by bugs and other pests before in my life.