Sign in to follow this  
Jake

Idle Thumbs 125: Eyes of the G-Man

I just made an account because after listening to this episode I just HAD to make this video for the Thumbs' discussion about how the third Steam reveal should've/could've gone down. Enjoy!

I did not cry when my son was born. I did not cry when my father passed. Upon watching this, I am drowning in my own tears. Bravo.

As an aside, I think I read every single Le Guin book when I was younger. Both the younger fantasy stuff and the science fiction. The Dispossessed was my favorite.

The Dispossessed is in my top five books. After the thumbs mention I went back and read the Wizard of Earthsea on my train journies this weekend. I love her writing style more than any other author I think. There is something about the way she string a a sentence together that just pleases my eye no end.

Oddly enough, I stated the Old man and the sea last night and the tersness of the writing there was similarly pleasing.

Also G man video amazing!

That video is just the best thing. There is this universe of ours with all sorts of particles, and then there is that video; it is transcendent.

I just made an account because after listening to this episode I just HAD to make this video for the Thumbs' discussion about how the third Steam reveal should've/could've gone down. Enjoy!

kickinthehead this is the best and you are the best.  I laughed so hard.

Haha, gosh, I also wanted to make a (weird) thing after listening to the episode,

but man alive, there is no possible timeline where anyone has made anything better than that video! 

Anyway, this is the year of the Luigigoatmans

(based on a offhand comment that I hope someone other than me remembers oh god was that even real help)

year_of_the_luigigoatmans_by_kleggskjegg

Satuigi? Lugyr.

Hmm. I didn't think about it whilst drawing, but it is actually disqueting in a Sonic fanfic kind of way

It sounds like she doesn't like how Star Wars has displaced what people used to put in the category of 'science fiction' in the public consciousness.  So if she was self-identifying as a science fiction writer, she felt like they were cheapening the category and making her feel like she was stuck in a 'ghetto'.

I don't necessarily disagree with her. Star Wars is much more Space Soap than sci fi, and I don't know of many people who would argue otherwise that have exposure to more than just Star Wars. That's essentially where the nerd Star Trek/Wars divide comes from. Star Trek is all about megalyzing the proton reactium reductors to inhibit the negafield, and Star Wars is about using your feelings and wanting to hug a dad.

I don't know if I thought about it critically at the time, but reading Foundation was a massively different experience to reading/watching/playing Star Wars. The actual debate is does one cheapen the other, and my answer is no, Star Wars can only cheapen itself and will not hesitate to do so.

Alas, Card Hunter pizza girl storyline is progressing in predictably underwhelming paths (so too the other characters, a bit). It is not as silly as it could have been, but still!

Good game, though. :tup:

(edit: I have played a little bit more...I will grant that what the characters lack in originality, they sometimes almost make up for in hyperbole)

Alas, Card Hunter pizza girl storyline is progressing in predictably underwhelming paths (so too the other characters, a bit). It is not as silly as it could have been, but still!

Good game, though. :tup:

(edit: I have played a little bit more...I will grant that what the characters lack in originality, they sometimes almost make up for in hyperbole)

Just experienced a turn in her story today. It's not all that different from what they suggested (at least from what I remember). Another Thumbs prescient moment.