Korax

Rogue Legacy

I'm surprised this hasn't been a thread yet, especially since the Thumbs just did a pre-podcast stream of it so they could talk about it. That's here:

This game is the best. Chris does a good job of explaining the game in the first few minutes, but quickly: It's a side-scrolling platformer with a randomly-generated map and randomly-traited characters. When you die, that character is gone for good, but the gold you collect can be used to buy persistent upgrades and equipment.

I just beat it for the first time over the course of some 17 hours and 169 characters (it really ate up my weekend), and went right into the New Game +. There are just so many things I love about it. The music and pixel art are great, the platforming and combat feel really nice, and even the ending had a neat way of framing the events within game elements that had been used up to that point.

Check it out at their website, http://roguelegacy.com. There's a demo and a bunch of links to buy it on the digital service of your choice.

Yeah I've been playing this off and on for a week now and it's pretty great.

The one thing I haven't looked into is the "gay" attribute. I have no idea what it does, if anything, and if it doesn't some of the phrasing on it isn't so great, so I kind of wince every time it comes up.

It doesn't do anything mechanical.  That's kind of the point.

Yeah I've been playing this off and on for a week now and it's pretty great.

The one thing I haven't looked into is the "gay" attribute. I have no idea what it does, if anything, and if it doesn't some of the phrasing on it isn't so great, so I kind of wince every time it comes up.

The stream was the first time I saw it in action.  Looks like fun.  I'll probably pick it up over the weekend (yay 4 day weekend!).  One thing I can already say is that I love the run animation.  That is hilarious.

Going to throw my weight behind the idea that you should play this video game. There's a LENGTHY demo available if you want to try it out - It basically locks the unlockable class trees down but in the entire evening I put into it I didn't hit a limit in the castle.

Games I have not played for an extended amount of time: the binding of isaac, rogue, super meatboy, most roguelikes. This plays a lot like a cheerful castlevania except the castle randomizes every time you die (so, every 2 minutes or so :D ).

The soundtrack is also awesome.  Listenable and buyable here: http://tettixashellinthepit.bandcamp.com/album/rogue-legacy-ost I think Narwhal is my favorite song thus far. It somehow manages to combine a wistful reminder of Torchlight with like... Red Alert's Hell March?

Loose and sloppy.

That's what I found too. I can see an interesting game in there but I got sidetracked by silly stuff like being able to hit enemies that were slightly above me, but not ones that were slightly below me.

I'll probably try it again soon, on a day where I'm not feeling so persnickety.

How's New Game +?

It sort of rebalances the game to provide a challenge to your upgraded character that's similar in scale to when you first start out (two- to four-hit kills on starting enemies rather than the constant-one-shot-speed-running it gets to). All the rooms have been the same (so far), but the enemies are replaced with their late-game high-tier versions from the first playthrough. Like so many other things, though, there are runes you can equip that bump the enemy scaling down and make it easier.

So, the amount of upgrading I've done to my characters has allowed me to blow through the four sub-bosses again by just tanking the damage they deal with a barbarian (~900 HP right now), but the final boss is brutal. Doing a few gold runs to keep the upgrades rolling in.

Beat New Game +. Went on a few gold runs to buff character health and then just endured the final boss with a barbarian. Then I started NG++, and this was the first room:

post-8476-0-13352400-1372910283_thumb.jpg

I see a lot more use of Grace runes in my future...

I'm enjoying the game so far, but what I'm really surprised I like is all the little references to other media such as other games and anime.  That kind of stuff normally gets very old quick but for some reason I'm still finding it hilarious when I find a new one in this game.  I'm also extremely glad I kept a wired 360 controller.

A quick question: Is the number of traits or whatever fixed? Is it true that the "gay" trait has no effect?

I've had a fairly even balance of gay dudes and ladies. As far as anyone can tell, being gay has no gameplay ramifications.

A particular character can have 0-2 traits. 2 is definitely most common.

Some of the Prince's journal entries sound like Idle Thumbs forum posts.  For instance:

Journal Entry #12:

I have found a solution to my hunger problem.  The forest holds an endless bounty of delicious mushrooms  

And within these mushrooms lie chicken legs!  Also gold coins, and vials of sparkling water... I broke open a tree trunk earlier, and a bag of money fell out.

Sometimes I feel like I have gone insane.

...Plus what's up with the moon?  It's HUGE!

I was gonna wait until it went on sale, but I caved and bought this last night because it looks so awesome.

I've played about 4 hours so far, I'm level 23 I think. Still a ton of stuff to unlock, and I haven't even really started exploring the non-castle areas. Super stoked on this game so far, looking forward to getting deeper in.

I've finally started a NG+, and while I'm still having fun, I'm experiencing diminishing returns.  Normally in a game where the characters have different abilities and skills, I'd pick one and then play it until I'm either, sick of the character, beat the game, or maxed out everything so the game's absurdly easy.  Then I start over with another character and the abilities/skills are hopefully different enough that it's like a new game.  With Rogue Legacy, because I'm forced to pick a new type almost every time I feel like I've reached the point of saturation with the character classes quicker than I usually would.  I think I've reached the limits of the game's originality and now I'm in the grind portion, something I suspect I'll get tired of fairly quickly.

Or maybe it's because I've been playing all weekend and my brain is telling me to do something else.

A quick question: Is the number of traits or whatever fixed? Is it true that the "gay" trait has no effect?

Being gay changes the gender of the statues you smash for health and mana. It has no other effect (similar to real life)

I was just thinking that if you're going to have a trait that says "gay" that doesn't do anything, and it takes up a slot, it's actually sort of a drawback, no?

Not really since they can spawn with 0 or 1 traits and many of them are negative, having a neutral one in there in terms of mechanics just slightly tips the scale against a child spawning with 2 mechanically affecting traits.