Korax

Rogue Legacy

I didn't say they were easy. I just said they weren't interesting.

Oh I know, sorry about that. I was just speaking from my perspective that I can ignore the blandness due to the difficulty that is presented in its place. In a sense, for me, it's just like starting over in Castlevania. Stage 1, I know what the layout of each screen is, etc. Only it's being presented out of order or whatever.

Rogue Legacy makes a good case on how the "roguelike" genre may work best as the supporting design to games rather than the main design. It being platform/action based more than a turn based tile game.

Oh I know, sorry about that. I was just speaking from my perspective that I can ignore the blandness due to the difficulty that is presented in its place. In a sense, for me, it's just like starting over in Castlevania. Stage 1, I know what the layout of each screen is, etc. Only it's being presented out of order or whatever.

Hah, all right. Fair enough. The Binding of Isaac is similar in that regard, but I think the game's a lot more interesting because it has the item system it does, plus the branching paths, and the unlocking of further levels, rather than it being pure endurance, and etc. I wish Rogue Legacy had something similar. Every run is basically the same thing after you reach a certain point. You almost never even run into one of those blessing rooms, and nothing changes how you play except the hedgehog curse, which just makes me suicide as fast as possible because I'm not about to deal with that shit. Part of the lack of variety might be that I avoid picking most classes, but also those classes are garbage, sooooo oh well.

In fact, I just made it to Rogue Legacy +3 (easier than I thought) because I stopped picking anything that wasn't paladin or barbarian. Barbarian being the clear winner out of those two, even. That shout. I'm concerned the new class will suffer the same.

Rogue Legacy makes a good case on how the "roguelike" genre may work best as the supporting design to games rather than the main design.

This is the saddest thing I have ever heard. ;_; Especially if this is supposed to be a GOOD example. I think it's a terrible example. The roguelike aspects of it are so minimal that I hesitate to even throw it near that genre.

Also since this post was overwhelmingly negative, I guess I should stress that I don't think it's a bad game. It's just a terrible roguelike.

I haven't event beaten the castle boss yet. I'm on level 52, am I'm doing something wrong?

I haven't event beaten the castle boss yet. I'm on level 52, am I'm doing something wrong?

Not if that's the pace you want to go at.  Have you been attempting the boss at least?

I've tried it a couple of times. I came close to killing the eye once (only 25% to go I think).

It took me a really long time to beat my first boss. After that, the next one took a little while, and then the next two were fairly quick and fell within days of each other.

I'd recommend using one generation to find the boss, and then use the Architect and practice fighting it with the next few generations. You'll get a feel for how the patterns work and what types of classes/spells work well against it with your play style, but of course you will hardly get any money (until the time you defeat that boss.) I feel the ability to basically go straight to the boss far outweighs the fact that you won't get quite as much money if you defeat it. 

I'm sure there's people who can beat the game at level 1, no upgrades.

refuse to believe

I've never used the architect. What a waste of gold! Also, yes, the bosses get progressively easier. At least, you get used to fighting them, and they don't really get more powerful, outside of a bigger health pool, which you also have. The challenge in NG+ and beyond is the REGULAR dudes who get harder and harder. Though at NG+++, they didn't feel much more difficult than NG++. No more tiers to upgrade to, I guess. Well, unless they just straight up turn into minibosses in +4. Hah. Wouldn't that be terrible.

Then again, you'll eventually cap out on your damage/health/etc. upgrades. I guess they wouldn't.

Anyway, after the last post I made, I finished getting all the cheesemints (I love games like this for that), so now I guess I'm waiting for the new patch. Here's hoping it's good!

I made it as far as NG+5 before I stopped (and could easily have gotten to +6).  At that point the enemies just start as their most powerful form and the rest have a ton of health.  The bosses then become the easiest part because they stayed the same.  That was a few updates ago though so it could be different now.

I've been playing the new updated version and I don't like the new boss remixes.  You're forced to fight each one with a specific set of class, traits, and equipment.  They've removed all the choice out of the fight, which is kind of the point of this game.  I'm playing with my last save before the update on NG +3 and I can clear the entire castle in one generation (especially if I'm using a Spellsword), but the set forced on me during the remixed bosses is making them all but impossible.

I've been playing the new updated version and I don't like the new boss remixes.  You're forced to fight each one with a specific set of class, traits, and equipment.  They've removed all the choice out of the fight, which is kind of the point of this game.  I'm playing with my last save before the update on NG +3 and I can clear the entire castle in one generation (especially if I'm using a Spellsword), but the set forced on me during the remixed bosses is making them all but impossible.

I dunno that sounds more interesting to me than letting me cheese my way through it like I did NG+->NG+4. Game... isn't really as hard as you'd think it would be, once you get used to it.

I'm just annoyed at how you unlock said new bosses.

Just watched my friend beat the Ponce de Leon remix.  You get to try as many times as you want it would seem.  Kinda takes some of the challenge away from it but at least I feel like the achievements are doable.

Yeah, you can retry the remixed bosses at many times as you want.  When you die during a remixed boss fight, you don't actually die but are instead teleported back to the room with the doorway so you can try again.  But each attempt will happen under the exact same circumstances as the last one.  I'm fine with it being hard and having infinite tries, I just don't like that they negate all the progress I've already made and force me to use a combination of things I wouldn't have chosen on my own.  It seems like such a large contradiction to the rest of the game.

Yeah.  Having thrown myself to the mercy of the Eye boss remix I have to agree.  My build would have been much much better in dealing with it.

***edit****

Oof, now that I finally beat Neo Khidr I can sort of see what they were going for.  I'm guessing they want you to try different play styles in these challenges by pre-selecting the runes... sort of a showcase of the different ways you can play.  Also the achievements are a demonstration of the player's skill rather than their willingness to grind.

I finally started going for these boss remixes. Fffffffffffffuck they are not easy.

But more annoying than anything else is trying to get the stupid obols. I got the first three, but I haven't gotten the last one, yet. I've found three shrines since beating the third boss remix, and none of them have given me the last obol. Fucking annoying. Just let me do the stupid boss already. |:

I got this game in the Autumn steam sale...I've played about 25 minutes. I can't get the hang of it, I've been told that you have to use a controller, but I refuse to buy one for a single game that I currently don't enjoy.

Am I missing that much? Would it be worth essentially another £20 on this game. Everyone says it's great but it could simply be that it's not really my thing.

A controller is a good investment anyway, since a lot of games get a lot better with it, nowadays. I wouldn't want to play a third person action game with mouse and keyboard, frankly.

I wouldn't want to play a third person action game with controller.

But for platform games like Spelunky, Rogue Legacy, Mark of the Ninja, BIT.TRIP Runner, etc. it works best. Of course there's also a bunch of games which have a shitty implementation and are pretty much unplayable without controller.

As I said to Cine, when you buy a controller you should look for something which supports XInput and preferably also DirectInput. A lot of games depend on XInput and don't work with DirectInput controllers without using emulation software. The DirectInput is useful for older games, or SDL games, or game which don't really have gamepad support but because it's directinput you can often map gamepad buttons.

A controller will significantly improve your ability to play, but I would say that a controller isn't worth it for a single game even if that game is Rogue Legacy.  However, like Rodi and elmuerte said, there's an increasing number of PC games either designed with a controller in mind or just work better with one.  I bought someone a wired Xbox controller for Christmas last year and she's told me that it ended up being a great gift because it let her go back and replay previously unplayable games.

I prefer 3rd person action games with mouse and keyboard. Controllers feel sluggish in comparison.

The games you've named elmuerte are pretty much all of the ones I've bought and given up on (with the exception of Mark of the Ninja which I adore). So maybe it is worth it...

I was considering just getting a 360 controller. Nothing fancy, just something I know is comfortable and will work on a pc.

I frankly find the controller essential for Rogue Legacy, if only because it feels so much like old-school console platformers that it'd feel wrong not to use one. You can even just use a utility like Xpadder to use a 360 controller on older/incompatible games. Have they released a wired controller with converting D-pad yet? I'd love to upgrade my 1st gen white 360 controller at some point.

I just started getting back into this game because I feel I should finish it before seriously considering my 2013 GOTY list, and man does it scratch an itch. I feel like I could just farm forever and not make any "progress" through the game. Did finally beat the second boss, despite being able to really handle myself on the Tower. In some ways it really makes me want to play Metroid, mostly in the pattern-recognition boss fights and the map screen.

Sorry if this is detailing the thread, but has anyone tried the xbone controller on a PC? I heard the d-pad is far better than on the 360 controller.