Zeusthecat

I Had A Random Thought...

I like that it implies that we're robbing the companies of all their marketing materials.

Oh lord, it's not an implication.

I only consider it robbing them if I take things I can't use.

All of the size Medium T-shirts from companies I have I feel a little bad about because I have never fit into a medium sized shirt. So I feel like I'm stealing those. But at the same time, free shirts! One day I might sew them together into some kind of promotional poncho.

I'm pretty sure that "swag" as a term for cool is a truncation of "swagger" used as a description of personal style.

Can we replace the term "thread necromancy" with "dead thread redemption"?

All in favor, say "fuck you".

Hey guys!

We're all going to live forever, or at least we'll stop aging. Also in 20 years you won't have a job because robots will do it all, and we'll all be in The Matrix, except the good kind, and it will be impossible to tell what is and is not a human because 1 nanometer thin all optical transistors running at twenty terahertz.

What do you guys think about all this? Like, the science is just there, easy peasy. So just keeping in mind that its happening and in a decade you'll be popping your anti telomere degradation pills before putting on your Oculus 8k. You'll look out your window to drought in your state and the self driving electric car in your driveway, and you'll know you could well be alive a hundred years from now and be fine. What do you say to that?

I say it's a nice dream.

Ok whatever, not helpful for my science fiction novel :angry:

Regardless of me going through a thousand citations, could you just pretend its happening and tell me your reaction?

...I'm having kind of a weird dual set of thoights about that.

On the one hand, it sounds awesome and I kind of have no problem with it.

But on the other hand, I feel like I am supposed to have more attachment to the real world and how I should care more about whats going on and how people really shouldn't live that long and its all unnatural and bad. But I can't tell if that's actually my thoughts or if its just this thing I feel I should be feeling, you know?

(Im sorry if that didn't make any sense. I drank some Monster a couple of hours ago and then took some Tylenol about half an hour ago (forgettig I had an energy drink a little earlier) and now I'm kind of energetic and tired and stuff all at once and everythings kind of weird...)

I find that the people who believe in an imminent technological singularity tend to also be people who believe in Bitcoin and/or My Little Pony branded cryptocoins.  

I'm extremely sceptical that it will happen in my lifetime.  If it does happen, I'm certain it will be out of my reach.  I'd like to be a perfectly-preserved brain in a jar communicating with other brains through a network.  I wouldn't have to worry about alzheimers or anything.

I'm extremely sceptical that it will happen in my lifetime.  If it does happen, I'm certain it will be out of my reach.  I'd like to be a perfectly-preserved brain in a jar communicating with other brains through a network.  I wouldn't have to worry about alzheimers or anything.

...what about a head in a jar communicating with other heads-in-jars and people outside?

Futurama_nixons_head.png

I AM NOT A CROOK!

Oh you want me to pretend it's actually happening right now. Sorry! Didn't realize what you were asking.

Well, I'm pretty happy. I guess maybe not, though, if it really means everyone's just living in a virtual world, I'm... probably less happy. Reason I want to live a long time is so I can experience real actual space exploration. I'm all for living a long time, but if it means society stagnates as a result, fuck it. Kill everyone.

Legitimate issues: population control! Again: unless everyone really is living in a virtual world. Then I guess they have no need to have real children because they can just have fake children. Man I don't know. I always hated the idea of living in the world of The Matrix, even when I imagined it was a good world rather than the robotic post-apocalypse. I'm all for Fake World existing, but only as a TEMPORARY escape, not a permanent one.

'Jurassic Park' velociraptor cage for sale on eBay

The nearly six-figure bid for the items is far exceeding the expectations of Theme Park Connection manager Brian Ramsey, who said he was "blown away" by the bidding. The current bid would be the highest amount the company has ever sold a movie prop item for, he said.

I find that the people who believe in an imminent technological singularity tend to also be people who believe in Bitcoin and/or My Little Pony branded cryptocoins.  

Don't worry, it'll all be in a post scarcity economy. Also I'm ahead of people in believing this in general, and people who believed in Bitcoins ahead of time are fucking billionaires. I don't believe in the singularity, I want to do a paper in fact that disproves the fucking singularity is possible. Simple thought experiment: You produce a computer that's smarter than a human. Except that computer took years to develop, and billions of dollars to make, and took thousands upon thousand of humans to make it. So what if its somewhat smarter than a human good for it! How will it suddenly produce a smarter computer than itself instantly?

Also the head in the jar thing is a joke about cryogenically freezing only heads, while your body is chopped off. Thanks for the replies! Also population control is going to be a huuuuge thing. Riots, people hating everyone. In fact in my story that leads to a huge upsurge in interest in space exploration. Some people still want to have kids, can't do it on earth, sign me up for space right? I certainly don't think EVERYONE will be in the Matrix. Otherwise I wouldn't even have the story I do. But I'm sure it'll be a thing, and I'll live to see it.

I came so close to buying Bitcoins when they were like a ten dollars a pop, but I couldn't justify it because I was a poor graduate student at the time. I wouldn't have been a billionare, but man I would NOT be having money problems right now. ;_;

Oh, also think about this. Twenty years ago was 1994. Go tell a your age person then that the fucking internet will be the greatest invention of mankind, that Snowcrash's virtual world will happen and be one a million virtual worlds, that the 3D glasses from it will be showing up on late night talk shows. That self driving electric cars will be what everyone will talk about and expect to buy in a decade or less, and that China will be the second biggest economy in the world.

As Arthur C. Clarke put it, "If I make predictions that you believe, then I'm not doing my job. If I make predictions that you find unbelievable, then my goal is accomplished." And all those predictions are for twenty years from now. My story is sent almost a hundred. Shit be cray cray :blink:

I came so close to buying Bitcoins when they were like a ten dollars a pop, but I couldn't justify it because I was a poor graduate student at the time. I wouldn't have been a billionare, but man I would NOT be having money problems right now. ;_;

Given that wallet thefts and exchange failures are rife amongst the bitcoin "economy," you'd probably still be having money problems, plus you'd have had to interact with a bunch of bitcoiners.  Who are horrible people.

I can get mugged on the street or suffer identity theft or even just straight up lose my wallet and I regularly have to deal with bankers (who are horrible people!), too. Seems odd to single out Bitcoin because it has its own set of problems!

SHRUG. I've been following it for a while, too. WHATEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Let's not fight over this.  Buy a bitcoin if you like, but prepare for me to say "I told you so" if you lose it all, and I'll prepare for you to say "I told you so" if you become a bitmillionaire  :)

I had no intention of continuing the conversation anyway, hence WHATEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR, so that works out!

MY LIGHT IS FLICKERING LIKE A MADMAN, THOUGH.